United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

Had my typical bowl of oatmeal, and made a pb&j sammich to snack on later. I took the family with me this morning and we got out the door at about 5:25AM and arrived in Wood River at 6:10AM. I was a little later that I wanted to be, so I wasn't able to get an end-piece on a race, but I was very close to the swim exit area at least.
Event warmup:

I took an easy spin on the bike to make sure everything was in working order, and got my gears set right. Then I jogged for 5 minutes and stretched for about 10 minutes before getting in the pool for about 4-5 minutes. I only stood in line for the swim for a couple minutes before it was my turn. 8:32AM.
Swim
  • 08m 16s
  • 450 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went out hard, and tried to keep the pace. My goal was to do this swim in 7:45. I'm not sure why I missed the mark so badly. Still, my effort was solid, and I steadily passed people the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

finish with a higher turnover. i've got some of the swim videotaped, so I'm going to see what I need to do to pick up my stroke-rate.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Again this year, I had to bark as some people to get out of the way. People just wander around the TA like there's no race going on!! It's unbelievable.
My goal here was 50 seconds, so I did well.

I missed my first pass at the velcro on my right shoe, but that was miniscule.
Bike
  • 47m 12s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

**now, if I had not flatted 3mi into the course, and had been able to keep going with my momentum, feeling great and all, my ACTUAL time spent cycling would have been 30:12, translating to 23.8mph. Yeah, I dominated it!! My time last year was 33:30 or so, and my goal was 32 this year.
But as luck would have it, my tire was crippled half way throught the 2nd lap. I was furious and frustrated. I worked so hard all summer, was so excited to defend my AG title at this race, and was doing great... until I heard that dreaded noise. Psssst!
So I started running my bike back to the TA to fix the flat. Yeah, I know, I should have had a kit with me, but I was trying to travel light like most folks do in these races. Besides, in most cases, when you flat in these races, your race is basically over. Maybe if my front tire had flatted I could have changed it quickly and gotten back on my way, but since it was the rear, I struggled mightily with the horizontal rear dropout. It took FOREVER to fix the damn thing. I was not a happy camper!
But then I got back out on the course to finish my last 4 laps. I hammered it hard and really pushed the pace. I was mowing people down and having fun, so that was good.

Ummm, not flat. Or keep a kit on the tri bike?
Transition 2
  • 00m 18s
Comments:

That transition practice paid off nicely the other day. I killed this transition!
I think I planned on giving myself a minute for this, so I'm happy with the brief stay in TA!

Nothing, except maybe get there earlier to get the end spot of the rack. I just don't like having other peoples' stuff really close by.
Run
  • 27m 35s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I let myself down on the run here, but I'm not terribly surprised. I just haven't had the run training that I had last year.
So while my goal was 24:30, and I missed it pretty badly, I'm not all that disappointed. Lap 1 and 2 were both very close. I felt a little better on the second loop because my 2 nasty side stiches had finally subsided. Also, there was just nobody out there to race against. Nobody chased me down. There was nobody outpacing me or forcing me to work harder. It was just me and my watch, so it was tough. I like to think that if my ideal race was still being played out, I would have had a little more desire to actually finish hard since there would be a podium spot on the line. But who knows? Motivation can be fleeting and permanent at the same time.

maybe wear the Garmin so I had a better idea of my pace.

on another note, i would say to avoid the water stops with the icy cold water. it really causes me to cramp in the gut. but on the other hand, i drank some on the bike (just a few onces), and about 4 bottes of fluid immediately after the race, and i was still down about 4lbs for the day. that's not good! but i don't feel that thirsty out on the course, so...
Post race
Warm down:

drank a ton, checked my dismal time, stretched, loaded up my gear, grabbed some snacks from the rec center, and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained hard and smart, tapered appropriately, and executed a good race plan... but it just didn't go as planned.

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:16 | 450 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: tri
Course: serpentine swim in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:12 | 12 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 6 laps around a 2mi loop. pretty flat. some nice smooth sections, and some fairly bumpy ones as well.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good