Boys and Girls Club
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 35s
Overall Rank = 71/367
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/36
Pre-race routine:

Saturday night I had my 20-year highschool reunion, but I was a good boy and drank only water and we were home by 10:45pm. Then I got probably my best night's sleep before a race ever, so I guess I'll just have to schedule another reunion before every big race day. It was also nice to have a relatively late race start time of 8am so I could "sleep in" until 6am and still get to the site with plenty of time to spare. That's good because this race has two transition areas to set up. At the site, it was obvious we got a lot of rain last night, as there was standing water in T1, near the lake. The pavement was also still very wet and with so much of the run on dirt trails, I was a little apprehensive about the condition of things out there. I was right to be concerned.
Event warmup:

After getting set up, I put on my wetsuit and went for a little swim. The water was just as shallow and silty as I remembered it from last year. It's a little like swimming through chocolate pudding. I almost expected to se Bill Cosby out there. They also had some chick from the WAC try to lead the racers in a pre-race warm-up (jumping jacks? seriously?) which was a really obvious contrived promotion for the health club and was duly mocked by most of the racers.
Swim
  • 11m 59s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

This may have been the only sub-par part of the race for me. I haven't been swimming a whole lot since my HIM and I think my swim was a little rusty. Because of the out-and-back course and number of novices, it was also really crowded. The narrow starting lane also ensure a battle for the first 200m but I gave as much as I got. However, because I was always worried about where other swimmers were I didn't find my rhythm until the turn buoy and my breathing was a little off.
What would you do differently?:

Probably just get in the pool a little more. This course just isn't made for a quick swim, so I'm not too disappointed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Altogether, this may have been my best transition involving a wetsuit yet. I ran strong out of the water, was quick to my bike, got out of my wetsuit swiftly and easily and ran with my bike to the exit. I know I smoked a lot of folks I finished the swim with.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 38s
  • 20.4 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I know these roads really well by now as it's one of my regular bike routes. That really gave me a big advantage in terms of gearing and cornering and just knowing what to expect. I really kicked butt without going too hard in order to save something for the run. This may have been the best I've ever struck that balance. Because the hills and many sharp turn also make this a highly technical course, this is also one of the few courses where I don't think my road bike without aerobars puts me at a big disadvantage. I was only passed by about 7 or 8 cyclists who were pretty obvious "killers" on some nice bikes.

Really, nothing. This was just a great and well-paced ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Another great transition. I ran with the bike by the seat only again with no problems, despite a a big deline on grass at the start of transition. I racked quickly and because it's a sprint, i went without socks. I just took a couple extra seconds to gulp a couple swallows of InfinIT from my bottle before bolting. That was the right decision as I heard people complaining about the HEED they served on the run course after the race.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This is kind of tough run for me as I'm not used to running on trails. The heavy overnight rains also made the dirt paths really muddy-- to the point I worried about sliding down the steep declines. Because i still have little confidence in my sore ankle, I also really worried about my footing throughout the trail portion. On the asphalt portion, i really kicked it up a gear despite the heat just radiating off the pavement. I did a lot of passing and I think I was only passed by two runners during the entire run. For me, that's awesome. Finally, I finished strong and passed a lot of people just "finishing" at the end.

Not much. However, when I checked the final race results, I saw the next two finishers were both in my age group and finished just 13 seconds ahead of me. That kind of burns me because I know I could have dug a little deeper to beat them. That's the downside of having mixed waves, where you don't know where your competition is.
Post race
Warm down:

As usual, I crossed the finish line and stopped running. I know-- I'm an innovator.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I still may be holding back a little on the run. I need to push it a little harder earlier, but given my recent history on the run, I was very happy with this one.

Event comments:

Great overall race for me on this course. This race has its quirks, with the silty lake and longer bike course, but I've really grown to like it. I thought I handled the quirks and high humidity well, too. I hope this bodes well for my Oly at Pleasant Prairie next week.

In reviewing my results, I also saw out of 36 in my age group I finished 16th in the swim, 15th in the bike, 13 in the run. At least I'm a well-balanced triathlete. I think I need to focus on my swim and bike in the off-season.

Last updated: 2007-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:59 | 600 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 16/36
Overall: 0/367
Performance: Average
Suit: promotion full
Course: The course is a straight out and back. The water is really shallow, weedy and silty. i think my hands were touching weeds the ENTIRE swim. But I knew what to expect.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:38 | 20.4 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/36
Wind: None
Course: This is a tough course for a sprint and I think it shocks some people. There were a couple walking their bikes up the first hill out of T1. The course was modified and slightly shortened this year due to road construction. However, all the tough climbs were still there. The good part was an extended section on the smooth pavement of Hwy K where you could really open it up-- I hit 36 MPH and probably averaged 27 MPH along that section.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:38 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/36
Course: This course is really three different course in one. it starts as a really rolling and shaded trail run with steep ups and downs. The middle part is a flat but HOT out-and-back on nice smooth asphalt out into a nearby subdivision. It then finishes with a rolling, shaded run on a paved path through the campgrounds.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon

2007-08-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #922806

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon
Nice race today!!  Im gonna have to do this one once.
2007-08-13 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race! That is a smokin time for the bike, especially on that hilly course. You are really going to be dangerous when you get that fancy tri bike. Swim sounds like goo goo goodness.
So let me get this straight: after you cross the finish line, you just stop running? Man I have to give that a try. Is there some kind of special term for that?
2007-08-15 3:13 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

GReat race and report!  Makes me want to do that one again.  That was my very first tri way back when, and I haven't been back since...not for any particular reason, just haven't.  That lake is dark, the complete opposite of Lake Geneva.

You had a killer bike and run!  That run time is awesome...I recall the trail being really up and down, and there being a nice hill right at the finish?

2007-08-15 7:57 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice work ya innovator!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon Rss Feed