United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 45s
Overall Rank = 499/715
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 56/71
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:15 because of the storm. Never got back to sleep. Cindy was up too, and cooked me 2 scrambled eggs (she's a sweetheart). Had 2 pieces of whole wheat toast. Got to transition about 6:15. Got a perfect spot right out of swim exit. This tri you could ride out of the transition area, so couldn't really ask for a better spot. Saw Bryan (mndiver) and Kelly (lumpy). They set up right across the aisle. Rodger (rabkaman) found us, then we saw Tom (Matchman) waiting in line for the port-o-john and we talked with him for a while.
Event warmup:

Announced water was too warm for wetsuits. So this was it. I was going to do this swim without a wetsuit. Did a quick 5 minutes out into THICK weeds and murky water. Good to get the weed freakout factor out of the way. Saw Becki (teachertrek) and chatted with her and her brother for a while. Swam out again for another 5 min. No warm-up on the bike or run.
Swim
  • 42m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

O.K. So this was my 1st Oly swim. Decided I just wanted to finish. They started swimmers every 3 seconds. I went out fairly slow. Didn't really sight much at the start. Just tried to draft off of swimmers as they went by me :). There was a sandbar about halfway out to the turnaround. I decided once I hit the sandbar with my hand, I'd walk for a while and almost treat it like a swim workout--get a few seconds rest and start swimming again. Stepped on a rock, which hurt. Getting to the 1st turnaround buoy seemed like it took FOR.EV.ER. I just started doing things that kept my mind off the swim. Ironically, I started singing 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' in my head, not realizing the next phrase of the song was 'coming for to carry me home.' I guess it didn't really bother me, because I figured it wasn't my time to go. It stuck in my head, probably because it matched my swim stroke cadence. I rounded the 2nd turnaround buoy, thinking 'when will this end?' I started doing math in my head, converting 17.4 mph to min/mile (the answer is 3.44 min/mi, btw :)). That kept me busy for a while. Hit the sandbar on the way back. Checked my split (34 min, this was supposed to be my target TOTAL time for the swim :(). I finally could see the exit balloons. Started swimming faster and chanting to myself 'get your groove on.' Actually it was quite silly, looking back on it, but it caused me to focus on my speed and my stroke. Got a serious 'weed burn.' A weed had gotten wrapped around the back of my neck and probably rubbed my neck for the last 1/3 of the swim, so I had a nice 'weed hickey.' :) Got out of the water, sprinted to the timing mat--42 min. I'll take it. Saw Becki at the swim exit cheering me on...thanks Becki!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. First Oly distance. Happy that I finished. 1 freakout issue at the halfway point thinking to myself 'can I finish this?' No problem, just slower than I thought.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

No complaints. Socks on. Cycling shoes on. Hopped onto bike and up the hill.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 54s
  • 21.33 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out too fast. Tried to stay at 17 mph, but was really hard to stay below 20 mph. Very windy on the course. Made sure to thank volunteers on the way. Saw Darryl (county sherriff) and yelled out a thanks. Felt it at the end. Was struggling to maintain 17 mph by mile 20.

More nutrition on the bike...Hammer gel every 1/2 hour instead of every hour. Hold my pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Goofed up a little here. As I was coming to no pedal zone, I pulled way back off the bike behind my seat to stretch out. By the time I got into the no pedal zone, I was going fairly slow, so I started pedaling to get my momentum up. A race official shouted 'no pedal zone!' Felt like a doofus, because I hit my brakes real hard because it caught me off guard. I was slowly rolling into the transition zone by then. Thank goodness there was a downhill.

Pay attention at transition.
Run
  • 54m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

It was stinkin' hot by this time. I started running out fairly solid. Passed a guy that was obviously cramping, and trying to stretch it out. He started running again just as I was passing. I told him 'way to stretch it out and keep running.' We ran together for about 2 miles. I give a pace update every so often (we were running about 8:30s, but I told him I was going to try and run no slower than 9:40s). Saw Kelly early on and ran a few yards with her. We also picked up another runner, young guy, don't remember his age, but he had 3 friends on bikes cheering him on, riding on the opposite side of the street. Mobile cheering group :). Awesome idea. We all hung together for about 2 miles. My quads started cramping really bad about mile 4. I would stop at all the aid stations and take a Gatorade and water, but really, this nutrition should have started on the bike leg. Good tri lesson. Limped it into mile 5 and 6. Would glance down at my Garmin and occasionally I would be running 10 to 11 min/mi pace, so I must have paced much faster at the start to have an overall average pace of 8:45 mins/mi.

Better nutrition on the bike leg, besides that nothing else. Had a good run, running with folks I just met on the course. Made the run bareable.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the mist shower. Headed straight for the hotdogs (my favorite post-race food). Talked to folks in line about the race/race conditions. Had to chaperone my son's youth activity down in Mankato at 3pm, so left the food area fairly quickly so I could get on the road (noon). Saw Tom and Rodger as I was heading down to pull my bike out of transition, but talked to them for a while and swapped race experiences.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usuals--wind, heat, nutrition. The not-so-usuals--weeds, the safety net of the sandbars (the temptation to walk and rest was just too much).

Event comments:

Great race. Will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/71
Overall: 657/715
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: They announced that water was too warm for wetsuits (78.5, just 0.5 degrees too warm for wetsuit legal). Rectangular course, buoys to right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:54 | 21.33 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/71
Overall: 457/715
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:22 | 06.21 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/71
Overall: 402/715
Course: This was a flat course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 4:14 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2007-08-12 5:44 PM
in reply to: #922810

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon
Great seeing you yesterday Sal.  You have such an awesome, cool attitude about racing.  Weed hickey kind of cracked me up also, good way to put it.  Way to go on the first Oly, next step-HIM.
2007-08-12 8:23 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Excellent race report, Sal, but in typical fashion, I have a list for you:

1.  Weed hickey?  Only you...
2.  Obviously I have GOT to make you some CDs.  If Swing Low Sweet Chariot and anything about getting your groove on are the first tunes that come to mind while you are being the turtle, pedaling through the no pedal zone is the least of your worries.  We have some work to do .
3.  I enjoy walking part of the swim.  There is a lot more oxygen available above the water than below it.  I say bring on the sandbars.
4.  Congratulations on a GREAT race!

2007-08-13 6:52 AM

Sweet Chariot, huh? S'all good. I once ran an entire tri-run leg singing "You're a Grand Old Flag" over and over. Anything but the pain, right? Although, I think you need a faster song that doesn't talk about dying!

Seriously, though - GREAT first Oly! You should be so proud. Though not your goal, 2:34s in OW w/no wetsuit on FIRST Oly length is nothing to sneer at. Following it up with almost 19s on the bike and sub 9s on the run? AWESOME, Sparks! I'm so happy for you.

All in all, the BT friends, the Mobile Cheering Crew, the friendly feel-up (albeit by a weed) and the mist shower. Shoot! Makes me hotter than cowbell!

WTG on a great raceday, Sparks - never a doubt you'd pull it off well. OOO
2007-08-13 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

WOOO HOOO! Congratulations on your first oly, Sal! Nice job!

2007-08-13 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois

I knew you would break 2:50.  I know why your bike and run was so fast.  You were trying to get away from the Creature from the Black Lagoon that kissed you on the swim.

Great race.

2007-08-13 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job on your first Oly!
2007-08-13 11:53 AM
in reply to: #923743

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Egads - no wetsuits!  My worst nightmare for sure.  Good job on jumping in and getting it done. 

Awesome race overall! 

2007-08-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: #922993

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-08-12 8:23 PM

Excellent race report, Sal, but in typical fashion, I have a list for you:

1.  Weed hickey?  Only you...

Uhh...actually figured that was something I'd only find in one of YOUR RRs...

2.  Obviously I have GOT to make you some CDs.  If Swing Low Sweet Chariot and anything about getting your groove on are the first tunes that come to mind while you are being the turtle, pedaling through the no pedal zone is the least of your worries.  We have some work to do .

Yes we do...I get punchy when I have to swim in OW w/o a wetsuit.  What's wrong with spirituals when you're going through a life-changing experience.  Cut me some slack...

And btw, where's #6?

Edited by sparco 2007-08-13 3:02 PM
2007-08-13 3:26 PM
in reply to: #923214

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
mswrites - 2007-08-13 6:52 AM Sweet Chariot, huh? S'all good. I once ran an entire tri-run leg singing "You're a Grand Old Flag" over and over. Anything but the pain, right? Although, I think you need a faster song that doesn't talk about dying!

I think that song would have made me want to break out in tap-dancing.  Not a good idea when you're already swimming seriously slow...
2007-08-13 9:21 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

If it helps any, I was singing "One Note Samba" in my head. "This is just a little samba built upon a single note/other notes are bound to follow but the root is still that note/now this new one is the consequence of the one we've just been through/as I'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you". How's that for random?

Great job on your first OLY, Sal. You've got a lot to be proud of, especially considering that it wasn't exactly ideal conditions with the lake quality, wind, heat, and humidity.

2007-08-14 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Great job on your first Oly Sal... Way to just jump in and tear it up-- considering the conditions you describe I'd say you did very well--- I'm not sure how I'd fare in a warmer swim without a wetsuit-- that wetsuit is my life-preserver   And wind on the bike is punishing... and what a great run to pull off after all of the swim and bike torture, and in humidity nonetheless!! 

Here's a final tip to help you improve the swim next time: try not to let those weeds "come on to you" anymore   Keep up the good work Sal! 

2007-08-16 10:30 AM

User image

Austin, Tx.
Good job on the race.  Way to focus yourself on the swim, whatever it takes....dml
2007-08-20 4:58 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to race, but what does your wife have to say about what you were doing in the weeds???

Nice to get that first OLY swim without a wet suit over.  You can do it! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed