United States
Premier Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 28/46
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5AM and did the usual. Made two pieces of toast, got the water bottles ready, and packed up what was left to be packed.
Arrived at the race and got everything into transition well before the 6:45 closing time. Turns out I was one of ten numbers who didn't have a t-spot set up (it was a fluke), so me and another guy set up where the relays were.
Event warmup:

None. I had to run back to get my chip and did not get to warm up in the water. Stretched while waiting to start the swim but that was about it.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Probably pushed myself a little bit too hard but overall I felt good. I think my form has improved a great deal, however there is still a ways to go for swimming. This was only a sprint so I don't take much away from swimming at this pace for 400 meters, however I could have gone faster.
What would you do differently?:

Some sort of a warm-up would have been nice but not much else.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Definitely took some time here but nothing too horrible. The run from the beach to T1 was actually fairly long which adds to the time. Grabbed my bike and tried to mount but it wasn't very crisp. Was able to settle in shortly after.

Not much. Could have moved more quickly or thought through the T1 more. In Minneapolis I was much more focused on the transition which may have lead to a little better time.
Bike
  • 41m 13s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel so-so about this bike. I definitely didn't go all out but I did push myself. I still feel like the bike is slower than it should be, but I guess it was prett solid for my age group.

Not too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Nothing really to comment on. Solid time which could have been cut by a few seconds as I 1)took an extra drink and 2) Didn't take the most direct line to the run out.

Now that I think about it, there was a lack of focus in the T-area on my part. Still, I'm not going to lose sleep over it but it's something to think about going forward.
Run
  • 29m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Proof that running is my weakest link. I didn't push myself nearly as hard as my other races this year, however I had a decent pace for me. I think this tri proves that I need to focus on the run during my off-season and then come back to the other two disciplines.

Be faster
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some of the good food on hand, gatorade endurance, and took in the scenery. It was pretty hot and there were a ton of people around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't go all out, but I'm not too strong on the bike or run. Continuing to train and training smarter will help me with my tough spots.

Event comments:

Good race that I recommend. Great volunteers, great post-race food and decent course. I actually liked the swim as it was something different with the set-up at Centennial Beach.
Negatives- Waiting in a huge pack before the swim and not handing out the chips the day before. Although I should have remembered to pick up my chip.

Last updated: 2007-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 400 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/46
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: Inside the Centennial Beach pool. Swim was actually in the shape of an "M" which meant going around three buoys. Start and finish on the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:13 | 12.43 miles | 18.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/46
Performance: Average
HR started out at 169 but quickly moved down into the mid 150's. I'd say my average HR was 152.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course which was mostly flat. One portion was slightly uphill for a half mile which was the most difficult for me. The last 1+ mile was extremely quick and I tried to take advantage of it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:47 | 03.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/46
Performance: Bad
HR was usually in the low 160's and approached 171-173 towards the end when I pushed it. Since I wasn't going all out I usually slowed up when the HR got up into the 170s.
Course: One loop which was mostly flat with some small ups and downs. Included some running around the river walk. On the back end of the loop you were mostly running into the sun which made for some difficulty as it was getting hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 4:47 PM

User image

Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: #922827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon
Wow..you and I had a very similar race. My Swim and Bike times are almost in line with you. I wonder if we were following each other on the bike. Actually, I would have followed you, because your time was slightly faster. My bike time was 41:24, so I almost 10 secs slower than you. I do remember going back and forth with a biker and he ultimately passed me in the end...was that you? ha, that'd be weird if it was.

Your swim time was almost the same too! I had a 7:49 swim time...very strange.

I'm with you too about the atmostphere of the event. I think the volunteers were especially awesome and very encouraging. The scenery wasn't quite so bad either. The river walk is one of the coolest things about Naperville.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed