United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 20s
Overall Rank = 258/310
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing unusual, PB+J on whole wheat english muffin, a little bit of Gatorade, set up transition, hung out with the group, talked to Todd Wiley for a bit.
Event warmup:

Dipped my feet in the lake.
Swim
  • 28m 46s
  • 1600 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with this swim, I was very comfortable. I swam the course a bit wider than normal and often found myself all alone. I guess that's good because I was in wave 4 and at various points I passed all 3 color caps in waves 1-3! The water was warm and this was my first non-wetsuit swim this season. It felt great, I felt very strong!
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps stay closer to the buoys, but I'm not concerned.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

No wetsuit, so much of this doesn't apply. I was satisfied with T1, but I still have trouble getting my shoes clipped in sometimes. Nerves/excitement, I think.

Go without a wetsuit more often!!!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 57s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I still need work on my hills. This was an up and down course, not alot of flats. You rode a straight shot, then turned around at a cone and headed back again. My average speed was 17 and I was really hoping for 18. It got pretty crowded ont he second loop as the sprint racers were entering the course. Suddenly it was mayhem with TT helmets, disc wheels, tri bikes, road cruisers, mountain bikes and water bottles. It was pretty congested for a while. Oh, and during the race there was a wicked crash. I came up on it afterwards. One girl taken to the hospital, she was laying in the road, bike off to the side, and 1 guy with wicked road rash all over his back and arms (he passed me on my second loop).

Hills, hills, hills. There's no secret. I think I needed more nutrition too. I only drank 1 of my 2 bottles, and took 1 of my 2 GUs. I relied too heavily on the Energy Shots.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Like I said, I pulled into T2 with too many people. It was like driving through the mall parking lot to find a spot......at Christmas!!! I was stuck behind a group and had to stop and wait for them to move before crossing into T2. Fortunately I was in the 3rd rack, so my time didn't suffer. At least since I had the extra time, I took my helmet off and ran with it and the bike.

Nada. I was happy.
Run
  • 1h 14m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I figured out part of my problem is that I have a bad attitude when it comes to running. So I made a decision yesterday to have a good run today. I told myself all through the run that I was doing a great job, that I was having a great race, and to keep it up. Guess what, it worked. I think starting out with a strong swim set me up for a good attitude throughout. I was hot and didn't feel like I was running very well, but I kept going. My goal was to run 18, walk 2. The first time I checked my watch, I had been running for 28 minutes, so I walked. Not for long, and not because I had to, just so that I DIDN'T have to in the near future. I saw Andy, Steve, Christine, and Ed, and just kept plugging away. It was very depressing though coming to the end of my run, the course was pretty desolate. Most everyone was done (and had been for a while) and I thought I was the last one out there. Well, I wasn't, but it wasn't by much. Although, now that it's over and I saw my times, 11:59 pace for a 10K is awfully darn good for me. I'll get it down though.

Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

I was a bit nauseous crossing the line so I sat infront of the fan till I got my stomach back. They gave out ice-water soaked towels at the finish. THEY WERE AWESOME!!! Drank huge amounts of water and eventually ate 2 chocolate chip cookies. By the time I could stomach anything else, all the pizza was gone :(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 30 pounds I could stand to lose.

Event comments:

This was a great race for me and in general. The food was good (pizza, fruit, whole wheat cookies) and the giveaways were awesome. I got a hammer gel flask, a hat, and a road ID. The volunteers were great and there was never any confusion as to where the course lead. Oh, but if you ask a volunteer if there's water anywhere and they say, "next stop", thats like a cop telling you to go 2 lights and make a right!!! My only possible gripe is that I would love to get a post race massage sometime. but when you finish BOP, the sign-up sheet is way too full and I may still be in line waiting. I guess massages are for the fast and furious and first to sign up. I highly reccomend this race and got to meet another BTer (Daniel Arnett- I forget your screen name) who, I might add, finished 2nd overall. AWESOME JOB! It was a great day and a great race. Oddly enough, my splits today were almost identical to the Philly OLY in June, but I think this was a harder course. Something must be going right...

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:46 | 1600 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/310
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuits, just my BT tri suit
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle finishing up at the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:26:57 | 24.6 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Up a nasty hill to get out of T1, then a back and forth (twice) along rolling hills before you go back down the hill to T2. And some of those hills were more than just rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:23 | 06.21 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Course: Paved trail through the park. Almost entirely shaded with 2 tiny (but noticible) inclines.... I won't call them hills, they were inclines. It was narrow and crowded, but shady.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: Steelman Triathlon

2007-08-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: #922956

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Steelman Triathlon

Well done!

Another race down on the way to IMLP...  

2007-08-13 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Great race!  It's amazing how starting off well carries through the whole race.  Congratulations.

Ernie

2007-08-13 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great job out there. Like you said, your attitude on the run can make a huge difference. I thought you looked pretty strong when I saw you out on the course. Tell Mr. Bethy he did a great job on the run and really helped push me to a great run. Good luck at the Diamondman and I hope to see you guys around.
2007-08-13 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

great job...

i have ridden on those roads for a long time, some of those hills are tough... way to stay strong.

2007-08-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: #923852

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
I'll tell you guys something.... I'm trying to incorporate hills for IMLP training and my long rides involve going from my house to this course. It's time to step it up and improve on these hills. A good attitude carries alot of weight, but there's no substitution for proper preparation! Thanks for the kind words!

2007-08-13 1:49 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Attitude is everything!  But it's hard to overcome that during a race....I guess it's a life overhaul!  LOL!  You did great Beth....way to go!
2007-08-13 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Nice Race! - I like what you said about the attitude on the run, - gonna try that my next race
2007-08-13 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Great job!!! What a fantastic swim - I'm jealous of that! Congrats!

It was such a beautiful day and a very fun, well-organized race (imagine that!). Although the bike course WAS rather crowded once I got out there.
2007-08-15 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Awesome job and I was so glad that I was able to meet you!  That was a challenging course and the fact that you did the same time as an easier course DOES say something.

Keep up the great work and even better keep up the great attitude!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Triathlon Rss Feed