General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cobourg, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DQ/
Age Group = Women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/7
Pre-race routine:

Had 1/2 a muffin and a little coffee during drive to venue. Arrived at venue about 1hr prior to race time.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 750 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Ran out from beach to as far as I can before I started swimming. I figure swimming pace is 20++min/km when I swim really really fast, so walking / wading, no matter how slow, would still be faster than swimming. This was the only good thing about the "swim" for me, it turned very ugly from there. There were huge waves. When I started to swim, I found myself bobbing up and down and waves were moving me back instead of forward. When I tried to sight, all I saw were huge waves coming at me, and I couldn't see the (first) buoy beyond the waves. When I tried to breathe, all I got was water, water and more water. I tried floating on my back and keep my mouth open to the sky, but water went in through my mouth as well. I finally waved to kayaker who towed me back to the beach. I probably didn't go beyond 100m out from the shore. John Salt, the race organizer, kindly put his arm around my shoulder and consoled me as I arrived back at the beach. I actually didn't feel too sad, as I knew given my recent lack of training that today would be more a training session than a race.
What would you do differently?:

OWS is my weakest link, and the waves today made it twice as difficult. If my father weren't critically ill and I didn't have to fly 20hrs back to Hong Kong on 20min notice 2wks ago, I would have done OWS practices the last 2 wks, and maybe I'd have a fighting chance today. When I flew back from HK a few days ago, I contemplated not racing today. But since I've already registered, I decided I would make the best of it and treat this as a training session, knowing full well that I didn't have the appropriate race training. I would not have done anything differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Suit stuck to heels.
Bike
  • 45m
  • 20 kms
  • 26.67 km/hr
Comments:

As I exited the transition and crossed the timing mat, I noticed there was no beep. I looked down, timing chip is gone! Oh well, must be the waves during swim that knocked it loose, or did it get caught while I was taking off my wetsuit? Oh well, no sense worrying about it. Bike course is quite hilly. At one point, most of the people were walking up the hill with their bikes. Since I didn't do the swim, I found enough energy to climb all the hills on my bike. Top speed = 65kph
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

When I was heading back to the transition area, I reminded myself to look for the timing chip in case it got stuck to the wetsuit. As I arrived at the bike rack, I saw my timing chip neatly wrapped around my rack. Hurray! OAT official found the chip so they wrapped it around my rack to make sure I see it when I got back to the transition. What service!
Run
  • 27m 20s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Good strong run, because I didn't have to do the swim. However my ankle is all swollen after the run. Ever since my 20hr flight from Hong Kong, something happened to my ankle. It swells up by the evening every day. I iced them at night, the next morning it looks OK, only to swell up again by the evening. But there is no pain nor decrease in range of motion. VERY strange.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to inform timing chip people to DQ me as I did not finish the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, esp OWS, because of last minute trip to Hong Kong.

Event comments:

First off, I want to thank everybody for your good wishes. I had to fly 20hrs back to Hong Kong on 20min notice 2 wks ago to visit my Dad who is critically ill. My Dad's situation has stabilized although at 91, anything can happen at anytime. Going into this race, I didn't have the appropriate training, but since I've already registered, I decided to do this race as a training session. Because of the lack of OWS practices and the huge waves, I DNF'd the swim, but I biked and ran and completed this brick session, so I'll consider this "mission accomplished". Toronto Tri is in 6 days, and I wouldn't have a chance to practice any OWS before then, so that would be another training session instead of a race for me. Hope the water will not be as choppy and my ankle, which has been swelling up every night since my 20hr flight, will be back to normal then.

Last updated: 2007-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 750 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: One uneven triangular loop: 265m to the first buoy, 270m to the second one and 215m to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:00 | 20 kms | 26.67 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, flat for the first 6k or so and hilly thereafter, a mix of steady and steep climbs for 4k and back into it after the turn around.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:20 | 05 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back course from Victoria Park, through quiet residential subdivisions on wide roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-08-12 8:36 PM
in reply to: #922986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: RE: Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Patricia,

Just finished reading your race report and I have nothing but admiration for what you did today in spite of your life events and those huuuuuge waves! Taking things in stride and turning an unfortunate situation into something useful to you, in a race context at that, is quite amazing in my book. 

I did panic a little myself but swimming on my side helped me a lot in making it to the first buoy.

That being said, kudos on a job well done in these circumstances!

P.S. If you are close to the Enduro Sport beach location and if you have time to swing by, a free OWS practice is held each Wednesday nights at 18:30 at Balmy or Cherry beach. You may want to call them to confirm where they will be heading.

Edited by Nats 2007-08-12 8:56 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed