YMCA
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 47s
Overall Rank = 6/178
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I just had a cereal bar for breakfast this morning.
All my stuff was already packed up from the race the day before. I just waited for my buddy to pick me up at 6am.
Event warmup:

I didn't have the opportunity to ride at all before the race because they don't allow anybody but racers on the course during the competition. But I was able to jog for a bit and stretch. I didn't think that it would a great idea to expend much energy on warming up anyway. I wanted to pour it all into the race instead.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 457 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is your basic pool swim. but the twist is having to share a lane with 3 other competitors. I chatted with them all briefly before the race to find out who wanted to lead the way, and who would be slow. I took off 3rd when the 2 guys in front of me said they would do the distance in 7:30 and 8:30 respectively. I figured 9:30 or so for myself. I ended up getting out of the pool in 8:24, after passing the guy who went out 2nd.
Since we were reasonably matched, I was able to draft for a bit, so that was actually good practice for open water practice.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. it was a solid swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I racked right next to the swim exit, so it made finding the bike extremely easy, but made my run to the mount line a little longer than for others.

not sure if a better rack spot would have helped all that much. perhaps it could have been worth a few seconds.
Bike
  • 37m 33s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept a very consistent effort on each lap. Charging up those hills was ridiculously hard. After the initial momentum was lost (which was pretty much immediately), was reduced to my easiest gear and standing half the time, only to muster up about a 7 or 8mph clip. But of course the flipside to every nast uphill stretch is a wickedly commensurate downhill to fly down. This one was amazing, too! I was able to max out at 47.7mph on the first lap. That is scary-fast. But I felt pretty comfortable in aero taking the long sweeping turns. That was ALMOST worth the climb to the top.
Hydration: all I drank on the bike was a couple swallows of HEED during each loop. It worked well because I took in more in the early miles of the race so that I wouldn't have sloshy stomach syndrome.

Maybe I could have pushed it on the downhill sections a little better, but I tended to just conserve energy and let my HR settle a little bit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

This went smoothly. Not much else to say about it.

Nothing.
Run
  • 14m 20s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really worried that my side cramps from yesterday would come back to haunt me again, but it didn't happen. I think it was a function of my better hydration plan. But anyway...
I started off with a quick turnover into the field to start the run. I thought I was moving at a good pace, but since there was only very very slow runners out there, it was hard to tell how I was doing. When the trail got steeper, I asked a guy coming back down it how far away the top was, and he replied that it was about 150yds up. I don't know if he lied just for fun, or if he was a terrible judge of distance. About 50yds up this staircase of a steep hill, I reached the top, grabbed a quick sip of water, and went barrelling down the other side. I passed a lot of people on the way back. It was easy to pick up the pace on the way back because of the downhill.
I made a hard sprint to the finish and was pretty happy overall.

push harder up the hill on the way out. i know i can run faster than this.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched well. drank my chocolate milk (that's right, i brought in my cooler!) i went for a jog with crozetiga afterwards as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the all-out sprint i did the day before probably slowed me down a little bit. though when i think about it, i never felt fatigued.

Event comments:

It went pretty smoothly. They have nice t-shirt designs, a DJ spinning tunes, and nice volunteers. I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2007-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 457 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/178
Performance: Good
Suit: tri
Course: 50yd course, shared lane with 3 other swimmers.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:33 | 12.5 miles | 19.97 mile/hr
3 Laps... 12:37 12:14 12:42 *my bike computer actually had me at 20.1mph, and i'm more inclined to believe that*
Wind: None
Course: 3 laps around a ~4mi loop with 1 VERY steep hill at the beginning. that was tough!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:20 | 02.2 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back style cross country/paved trail run. All up hill on the way out, wiht a very steep section at the end. Naturally, the way back was quick!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes