Ironhead Race Productions
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 51s
Overall Rank = 21/110
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up shoved food down and drank a bit, which I kept up till 45min till race. Got dressed and set everything ready to go, then took off.
Event warmup:

None I was going to use the first 300m-500m of the swim as a warmup
Swim
  • 29m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hehe I learned the HARD way what it's like to swim into the rising sun with CLEAR goggles on.
My first 750m was.. the best OW swimming experience I've ever had, I didn't run into anyone and I was going at good pace(I was on target for a 26:30-27min swim). I was thinking the way back would be quicker as i was feeling good and warmed up. Well that was right before I turned around and tried to spot the next buoy, as all I saw was white glare.
So I start swimming did ok at first, but as we start going more into the gentle curve to right (now the left) the sun becomes worse and I can't make much of anything out. So I end up in the weeds/rocks on the side, ok i shrug the first time off and get back at it. Then it happens again, no problem I just go right back to it. Then I swim underneath a dock and come about 5 inches away from hitting a cement pole.

It was at that point that I lost my mental focus and just tried to finish the swim with out smashing my head on something. I still ended up in the weeds/rocks 2-3 more times and cut my foot on something on one of those adventures.

So yea.. I'll always be brining shaded goggles from now on.
What would you do differently?:

SHADED GOGGLES
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I took my time and made sure I drank more then normal during transition, so a little slow, but I did more then normal here.

Nothing, I really didn't feel like I messed up here.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.47 mile/hr
Comments:

At the beginning of the bike (first 10-15k) my head wasn't in the race anymore, add the slighty up-hill false flat that the first 10k is with a couple of good hills too. It put me at a low spot for a bit. But by the time of the turn around I was back to racing and still made an OK bike ride, though I would of liked to be under 1:08.

First/last 10k or so is on rough roads and that's also where the hills are.

Try to stay focus and get into my zone earlier.
Transition 2
  • 37m
Comments:

Went pretty good shoes bumped on the ground a few times, throwing my back wheel around a bit, but that's not even a big deal.

move quicker? :)
Run
  • 44m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I enjoyed this run and I really didn't think the road was that bad, sure you're going to be several minutes slower then your normal 10k in a olympic triathlon, but so is everyone else. But a few of the steep parts of the climb did hurt my legs pretty good. So when your coming back down you're already darn tired so you don't get to really improve your pace much! :p

I did like this run though and will be the main attraction to me to come back to this race in a couple of years.

I think I should of opened up harder(or gone harder on the bike) but I held back not knowing the course(due to it being hyped up as really tough) and I believe I finished a bit off what I could of done.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat down and drank gatorade. hehe

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still say inexperience(more in OW then anything else) I just can't get everything in a triathlon to go my way just yet.

That swim really took me down mentally I knew I had performed really badly(I never got passed after the swim, just passed alot of people) and it just took me a bit to get my head back into the game, my swim and bike suffered becase of this for sure.

Event comments:

They had marines as helpers(aid stations, getting out of water helpers) and man.. they were fantastic.. the best helpers I've seen at a race so far. I can't think of anything really wrong with the race, it was very well put on.

So if you're looking for a fun, tough race this if for you. I wouldn't come here to PR or anything though. :)

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 36/110
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: Out and back with a long curve to the right(going out) on the Concho River
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:27 | 24.85 miles | 21.47 mile/hr
Overall: 36/110
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: little bit hilly(for me atleast) out and back course on quiet roads. Half of the roads were fairly rough and made it hard for me at first to get into a good zone.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 37:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:05 | 06.21 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 5/110
Performance: Good
Course: Dirt Road from hell, as they call it. :) It's a Dirt road that goes up for basically the first half then you come back down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: IRP Wool Capital Triathlon

2007-08-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: #923730

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: IRP Wool Capital Triathlon
Add: Really though, I'm not bummed out at my sub-par(not that it was horrible either) performance at all, I'm happy to get a longer than sprint triathlon in there. So we can just mark this one down on the side of experience.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IRP Wool Capital Triathlon Rss Feed