General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lansing Legislator Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Laingsburg, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 19s
Overall Rank = 38/75
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 3:15 and was on the road by 4:30 for the 100 mile drive. Ate a banana and cottage cheese with berries at home. While driving I could see the flash of lightening far off to the west. Arrived at the State Park at 6:10 and received my bag and race number. Placed my bike in the transition area, but kept everything else in the truck until closer to 7:30, then kept everything covered in a garbage bag, which worked well and kept my shoes dry.
Event warmup:

Did some running around the park, and checked out the campground. Swam a little bit too.

Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good in the swim. Did quite a few open water swims since my last sprint in June. The extra practice in wavy Lake Huron and the Atlantic Ocean off of the Outer Banks came in real handy. Tried drafting a few times but couldn't hang and didn't want to crash and burn. Felt like I was swimming on my own and hardly ran into anyone. Sighted buoys real easy. Started getting a little sloppy at the end but was happy to see my time.
What would you do differently?:

Work on overall conditioning and drafting
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Had helmet in the open, but left shoes and socks in garbage bag, but everything went well.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Not having my road bike on my last camping trip hurt my overall performance. I was hoping for a min of 18 mph avg and hoping for 19. Winds appeared to shift during the ride. Roads were still wet so turns were slower. Witnessed one of the top females crash at the turnaround, but she appeared o'kay. This course was hillier then I anticipated.

Need more work on hilly courses, as the hills hurt me. Need more time in the saddle, being out of town nearly three weeks hurt my overall bike. I'll have to see if the wife will let me pack the road bike in the trailer when we go camping.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Lost a shoe dismounting bike, but the practice of getting my feet out of the shoes and being ready to dismount came in handy and made for a good transition with little wasted time.

I left my running shoes in the garbage bag with another change of socks, I'm glad I did as my feet were soaked during the ride. Things went well and putting on the dry socks was worth it.
Run
  • 57m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The sun started peaking out, but temps weren't to bad. Quads started cramping up. Had to walk more then I would've liked. First mile was around 8:30 but things fell apart around mile 3, when I was stung by something on the back of the neck.

Do more road running, as most of the running I did was trail or beach.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit ate a Cliff bar, had a Hammer Gel and a couple of hard boiled eggs I had brought, put bike away, then stretched while waiting for results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had to do my physical fitness test for work on Friday. Quads were already sore when I started. Try not to do a PFT before a race in the future.

Having a GI bug rip through the family the week before didn't help either and limited training. Losing 7 pounds between Sunday and Tuesday the week before a race is a bag thing.

For my first Oly since the Chicago Sun Times Tri back in 1990, I was happy and set a new PR by a minute or so, but could've done so much better, wanted to do a 2:45. Guess I shouldn't complain after a 16 year layoff, I'm enjoy triathlon again.

Event comments:

Decent event overall, but with no aid stations on the bike, that had to hurt some folks. I learned after my last sprint to bring my own water for the bike, which worked well. Not much for food afterwards, besides sandwiches, some watermelon and cookies.

I'll do this race in the future. It's at a good location and decent course.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 25/75
Performance: Good
Suit: Quick John wet suit
Course: Triangular course in warm inland lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:18 | 24.85 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 39/75
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly roads in rural area with little traffic.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 48/75
Performance: Below average
Course: Combination of paved, gravel and trail run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Lansing Legislator Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed