General Discussion Race Reports! » Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Acworth, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, LLC
warmF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 45s
Overall Rank = 39/560+/-
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/108
Pre-race routine:

Planned to get up at 4 am and leave at 4:50 to pick up my friend. My alarm didn't go off but I woke up at 4:40 on my own. Harried. Gulped coffee, water. Inhaled Uncle Sam's cereal. Had thankfully packed everything the night before and car was ready to go. Totally out of sorts thought from rushing. Left at a little after 5 pickedup friend and got to tranisition a little before 6 am. Oh, btw, this was my frist triathlon.
Event warmup:

SInc ethis was both of our first we sort of followed the crowd and got marked, chip, and set up our transition area and I watched as my friend practiced. She was smart to do so. i jsut looked around and mentally marked where to go and where my stuff was. I swam out to one of the bouys and back. The water was very warm. Met people and anxiously waited for the start.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Easy swim but I was sort of trapped behing people and couldn't go as fast as I would have liked. Caught the wave that went a head of me and was a little frustrated weeding through that to the finish. But I guess that is just how it goes with that many bodies in the water. Something to get use to thought when you are accustomed to your own lane in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

I was about one back from the start and had to fight to get ahead. I think next time I would be more aggressive at the beginning just to get out and away from people. But overall the swim went much better than I had anticipated.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Okay, half of those questions aren't applicable and half I am not sure what they mean.
I did pretty good considering. I could have run faster out of the swim but I was please that I pulled my cap and googles off and fixed my hair all while running into the transition. I took the time to wash and dry my feet and put on socks and bike shoes. I only recently clipped in so I am still getting accustomed to that.

I did not run my bike out of tranistion and I should have. I also took some time to drink water, open my gel, set my garmin all stuff I probably could have done either on the bike or in setting up transition.
I think experience will just make this better.
Bike
  • 42m 9s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakest link. I am scared and inexperinced. However I exceeded my expectations because I fully expected to crash or fall or something.

Just get better and more confident on the bike. I probably should remember to drink more water and bring some electrolyte mix on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was a total idiot in this transition. Since I wore socks I didn't take my shoes off until my bike was racked--not wanting them to get dirty. I took way too much time doing dumb stuff--like changing the setting on my Garmin. Getting my phone etc. I should have been more focused on getting my shoes changed AND taking my helmet off. I ran out of transition --even stopped at the aid station but noone said anything to until I was already on my way out for the run. I had to go back. I ended up dropping my helmet over the fence. I lost probably 15-30 seconds with this nonsense after already crossing the mat.

Take my helmet off and skip all the dumb unnecessary stuff.
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a terrible run and had really expected to do a lot better. 7:43 is more reflective, heck even slower than my half marathon pace. In fact, this was my first 5k ever so I had expected to at least be able to crank the miles out at my 10k pace at least. I have consitently run 40 miles a week this summer (50+ the rest of the year) so I was more than prepared to run. I really don't know what happened but I was, still am I guess, pretty disappointed in myself for falling apart in what I view as my strongest area.

Not sure. Maybe I should have had some electrolytes or more nutrition, water etc. My training was there so maybe on another day in another race I will have the run I know I am capable of. Sigh coulda woulda shoulda . .
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around cheered on others. Drank some water. There was an amazing food spread. I I've seen way less after marathons so really, it was a feast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No idea. Probably poor nutrition and hydration in the heat.

Event comments:

This wsa my frist tri but I think it was very well organized. Despite my poor run performance I did have a fantastic time. I think had I not had such high expectations for myself on the run I would be raving about this race. I honestly don't think any of it was too hard and I think this is an excellent first triathlon for any newbies.
Also, it was great to see so many fit and fabulous women atheletes. Not to mention every single person I came across was kind and encouraging. It isn't often in a race when you pass someone and they cheer you on and yell "awesome" as you go by them. That just goes beyond good sportsmanship and comraderie.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 400 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/108
Overall: 0/560+/-
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: out and around bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:09 | 13 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/108
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I thought it was pretty easy course. In my training--which hasn't been much--I train on either really flat or very hilly. This course was what I would call gentle hills. I was able to ride in the big ring the whole time. And addmittedly this was partly due to the fact that I don't like to change between rings. I always go the wrong way and drop my chain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:23:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/108
Performance: Bad
Course: This course for some reason proved difficult for me and I didn't think it should have been. It wasn't that hilly but it did feel like a long slow continual uphill. It was hot too but still yesterday was cooler than it has been. Nonetheless I got hit with the chills at the end of this and that always happens to me when I start to overheat. Luckily I was done before it got too bad. But I thinking some sort of electrolyte balance may have been my problem.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #924203

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon
Hi, it's me, the "friend" from your report. Doug is brown_dog_us on this forum, so I'm Mrs. because that's how someone listed us on something else and I thought it was cute.

Anyway, I still think you rocked in this race. You obviously have the training and talent to go way faster on the run (and the swim) but I think the start held you back in the swim and the run was just fueling. Seriously, I thought about this during my bike today (in the heat) - in a perfectly fueled race, I never would have seen you again after the transition to run. Lesson learned! Time for beer!
2007-08-13 5:17 PM
in reply to: #924297

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Thanks-- Brown Dog girl. lol. You did do fantastic and again, you are right: I am beating a dead horse. But, keep in mind that unlike you, I don't get to go tri again next weekend. I am now just hoping to get another in sometime early this fall but I am limited. I really hope I don't have to wait til next year.

Oh and I am so mad about my run that I seriously thinking of signing up for a 5k just to see how I do--since I just don't know. I know that Hot lips hustle is coming up and it is for a good cause. Might be enough to get me out of bed and run it.

And again. I am so glad we did this together. You really helped make it fun and I also think that this fall you are going to be very surprised with your times. At SCHM we should plan to go out together. I'll be happy with a PR but I really want a sub 1:35 ideally 1:30. I am pretty confident you will be able to keep up-- if not pass my butt-- assuming your knee holds up.

Kisses, hugs and thanks
Nat
2007-08-15 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Hey, you had a GREAT race, I would have never guessed that was your first tri!!!  Great splits on all 3...don't beat yourself up about your transition times.  It's possibly the easiest thing to improve once you get a good system down.  I think I learn something new just about every race!  Keep up the great job and you'll be at the top of your (very fast) age group!
2007-08-15 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Nat,

You did good! I'm sure you learned a lot and It'll show in your next race. Maybe we should cut the brake cables? I bet you would be faster!

Doug

One last thing: I liked the part about fixing your hair after the swim.

Edited by brown_dog_us 2007-08-15 1:49 PM
2007-08-15 2:35 PM
in reply to: #926569

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Aw thanks, I appreciate that. I did have a great time and just thought everyone was so nice. I really didn't know what to expect for a time so at least next time I will have a better idea and have something to shoot for.

2007-08-15 2:40 PM
in reply to: #927082

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

Doug thanks, you are nice to say that. Yeah sabotaging my brakes is probably the only way I wil get faster. But please don't. You know you aren't good on the down hill when on the flats you can crank it up faster on your own. I was seeing some 24mph out there on the flat areas.  On the downhill I am all Brake! Brake! Brake!

I had to put in the part about fixing my hair. My hair--as far of things I worried about --was second on my list --right after my outfit. I just thought I was genius for fixing it while running into transition. But then again, my hair didn't look too good for the race.

I can't wait to hear how you guys do at your tri this weekend! Good luck and I am way jealous! BTW Are you clipping in for it???

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed