5430 Sports Corp.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 51s
Overall Rank = 371/884
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/97
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at about 3:30 and did my final packing and checking. I ate a bowl of crispy rice with some sugar on it and sipped some sports drink (HEED). Drove up to Boulder Res. Set up transition and walked back and forth to the car a couple times to talk to Chris and get things (She was sleepy).
Event warmup:

Once I donned the wetsuit I jumped in the water and swam about a bit. I then waited for my wave to start and fiddled aimlessly with various things while shivering nervously.
Swim
  • 38m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well... For the first event, I actually set myself up in a good position. Up front and on the outside. That gave me plenty of water to swim in and it was clean. THe only problem is that once I started swimming directly into the sun for the first leg, I was navigating somewhat off to the outside of the course. I think I swam near a sailboat that was out there or something. That made me swim further than I wanted to. After rounding the first turn, I got popped in the head good. Lucky for me I have a hard head. It likely hurt whoever more than me as it felt like a bony part of his anatomy that struck my gourd. I also had someones stroke push water into my mouth when breathing. That resulted in a bit of coughing, a brief panick, some mental cursing and some stroke shenanigans. After a bit it was OK once I got the lake out of my mouth and such and caught my breath. My pace was good (for me anyway) but I could likely have pushed it up just slightly. I had a couple of people pull a "crazy Ivan" during the swim and go right in front of me (perhaps because I was soooo far off to the outside!). For the long and short return legs, I was catching the slower swimmers from the previous two waves. But, without looking directly into the sun I was able to navigate around them in clean water. I did catch someone and draft a bit somewhere along the swim but they were a bit slower than I wanted to go so I passed. All in all, it was a very good swim for me. Perhaps the best OWS for me in a race yet.
What would you do differently?:

I think that I would bring welding goggles so I could look into the sun and actually see where I was going... ...actually, I need to navigate better and stay closer. I should try and hang on someones feet and practice drafting as well. You would think with my hard head I wouldnt worry about swimming in the group so much...
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

T1 went well, no sitting, just pulled off the wetsuit (save one heel) and put on all the bike stuff. Not wickedly fast but I wasnt worried about a few seconds here and there in this distance of a race. For the first time in forever, I actually put my sunglasses on before my helmet (I use a strap on the glasses to keep me from getting a headache trying to hold them up). My wetsuit stuck on one heel but I was able to get it off without falling down.

someday learn how to get into shoes while riding perhaps.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went pretty well for me. I ended up starting a bit fast on the first loop in the uphill section. I smartened up and relaxed down the hills in the beginning. My focus was saving something for the run but still pushing a bit. Throughout the first loop, I had cramps in my abs (theme for the day). It was either one side or the other. I continued to drink my energy mixture and also picked up one bottle of water at an aid station per loop. My mix is the usual cocktail I make for long rides. This course had some good downhills for me personally as I could pick up momentum (and utilize my mass) on a steep section and hold it while on the flatter portions. All in all it was a good ride and I felt I put out the right amount of effort. With all my hill training the hills were really easy and I found myself dong well there.

I think I need electrolytes to be upped a bit and definitely more water intake based on the first loop of the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Good transition for me. Basically did what you do. I also added in a pee stop here as my bladder was feeling a bit full so I added a bit more time.
Run
  • 2h 12m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good getting off the bike. Bettern than most of my bricks and transition runs even. However, the first loop was a total mess. Almost from the start I was getting cramps in my abs. This was not the GI distress type cramps but genuine abdominal muscle cramps. This was off and on (mostly on with increasing ON!) and finally I had to totally slow down and walk a bunch between miles 3-6. I am not sure exactly what the issue is but slowing down and putting in fluids seemed to help. I will have to play with things a bit in training to try and figure it out as it never happend before. I think I was a bit dehydrated and low on electrolytes (you should have seen the salt crystals on me afterward). I kept putting in gatorade endurance in me and at about mile 6 I took in a gel. By the second loop I was just barely no longer cramping and was able to run semi-comfortably. I walked through the aid stations to drink, water myself and ice up the hat given I dont wear a bra and cant ice my boobs. The second loop felt good but my legs were hurting a bit by the end. I totally sponged myself on the back, front, thighs, etc. Those sponges were great!

I need to take more electrolytes (I think) for the run and hydrate more on the bike. The walking on the first loop really slowed me down for an overall time. I would also try and order some shade or rain or something from the internet as it was crazy hot. I almost burst into flames.
Post race
Warm down:

staggered about drinking gatorade. Had some pizza and cleaned up the transition area and loaded up the car. Chatted with Chris a bit. She was pretty sunburnt so we packed it in. SOmehow I ended up driving home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall this was my first HIM and I feel that I had a great race. Primarily what limited me was the cramping on the run. I did not perform up to my fitness potential likely due to a nutritional issue here. I need to figure this out before my next race. Looking at my weight (after getting home and having guzzled a bunch) I was 2-3% down in weight which suggests dehydration and would explain my poor run performance. But, I am still happy with my time for my first HIM. I just know that there are a few more minutes out there for me at my current fitness level. I just need to put it all together.

Event comments:

Overall a very well run race. This has to be one of the best I have raced in. I was a bit surprised at the limited porta-potties on the run as I only noticed one. I definitely will attend the 5430 events in the future.

Last updated: 2007-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:23 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/97
Overall: 438/884
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion sleevless
Course: One loop counter clockwise with a square shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:41 | 56 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Overall: 341/884
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop with some fun hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:12:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 446/884
Performance: Below average
No idea since my HRM battery died and I couldnt get it replaced in time. this whole race was without a watch and done by feel...
Course: Two loop in the dreadful sun on mostly dirt roads and trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %~2-3!
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
Subject: 5430 Long Course Triathlon

2007-08-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #924574

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: 5430 Long Course Triathlon
Great job out there.  Yeah, it was definitely hot for the run, but you pushed through it.  Congrats on a solid race.  Hopefully you can figure out the nutritional side of it before your next race. 
2007-08-13 9:25 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
great race.  pretty fast for a "big slow guy" if you ask me.  any faster and you may have to change your handle
2007-08-13 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Good call on the welding goggles, that sun was brutal for the start. Great job out there man.
2007-08-13 10:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

DickDime seems to have invented the man-bra, so perhaps next year, you can ice your boobs too. 

Awesome race!  You had a darn good day!  Congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed