General Discussion Race Reports! » Scofield Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scofield Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scofield, Utah
United States
Carbon County Travel Bureau
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 10s
Overall Rank = 41/170
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 12/27
Pre-race routine:

Wake up EARLY (~5:00 am)... Throw stuff together. Bike, check, Shoes, check, Goggles, check, Wetsuit, check... etc. Headed out the door at 5:40 and headed to Randy's to pick him up...
Event warmup:

No stretching... No thinking, just do-ing :)
Swim
  • 14m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got up to the front of the pack before the swim started with Randy, knowing full well I was kidding myself that I could stay in front :) I thought I'd give it a strong start and see where it took me-- Unfortunately the usual pack caught up and before I knew it I was getting hit and kicked as usual... I did my best to keep swimming through the mess, but you end up swimming at the speed of the pack... I think if I could figure out how to "break away" I could have shaved another minute or two off of the swim...
What would you do differently?:

Try to find the "sweet spot" in the pack where there's enough space to open up. Unfortunately it's tough, especially when there's a mass start. All things considered, I don't know how much more I could have done. I could get better at sighting... still slows me down quite a bit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Helmet, check! I remembered it this time :) I didn't have to run to the car to get it.. Whew. Even used the wetsuit strippers for the first time-- it was pretty cool. Felt pretty good after the swim... This transition area was long so there was quite a bit of distance I had to run in my bike shoes, making for a longer T time.

Not much... Just try to figure out how to make getting my socks/shoes on faster... Maybe put my shoes on the bike pedals.. Don't know how much that'd help or not... Maybe swim in my socks :) Something!
Bike
  • 35m 55s
  • 12.45 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I had tons of fun on this ride-- Started out strong, bolting past a few riders right out of the gate... Caught up with some fast riders, and we were playing the yo-yo back and forth for a good while. It was a good challenge. Stayed strong through most of the ride-- started to fade a bit at the end, probably due to lack of good hydration, but pushed through it to finish the leg strong. Would have likely been well over 21 mph avg. had I hydrated properly. (I've been working on my bike :))

Use electrolyte supplements, gels, etc-- and DRINK plenty of WATER during the bike -- whatever I need to keep strong on my bike and ensure leftovers for the run. I also think I need to adjust my seat/bike for more of a TT position before these rides to maximize my efficiency and keep working on keeping cadence up while in high gears. I want to be breaking 22 mph on these soon :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Again, yet another average transition... I just don't fret that much in these... I like to take my time in preparation for starting the next, regardless of how many extra seconds it'll take. As I was putting on my running shoes, my right calf started cramping severely and the pain was horrible... I drank as much water as I could quickly and tried to stretch out the cramp, but had to head out with it on the run... Ouch

Hydrate more on the bike... I didn't take enough in, so I was getting punished. After starting the run with the cramp in my calf, I was shot mentally.... It was so painful... it made for a slow transition and start on the run.
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt horrible during this run, first starting off with the cramp, and then my usual mental weakness got the best of me. Had I run the entire thing, I would have had a great run time... This time included lots of walking-- probably over an entire minute or more. The sun was out and the heat was there, adding to the extra difficulty of running at 7500 ft elevation... It was tough. And I only had a single cup of Powerade through it... Dumb.

Did I already say DRINK MORE? I suck at hydration and just general nutrition-- if I could get that figured out, I bet I'd see amazing results. I should have drank lots of water the day before, but instead I probably had more than my share of Pepsi... yes, I'm a soda drinker. Maybe as a good experiment I should give it up (although I've tried many times and failed before), but I suspect I may be surprised by the results.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, DRINK WATER, and BS with Randy and Jason. Unfortunately I had to get back home quickly so I couldn't spend alot of time post-race- It was pretty much straight back to the car and head out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental wimpyness (have I said this before?) I suspect the biggest difference between myself and some of the guys at the front of the race is the ability to ignore the pain, or laugh at it. I know Randy has this technique down-- I'm still working on it. I've been trained since I was little that pain is bad-- but if I can work with pain, I'll be golden!

Event comments:

This race was definitely a great one to do-- It was a great location, with just a good fun atmosphere. I'll definitely put it in my list of races to do next season. And I'll see if I can shave some serious time off next time... Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:50 | 820 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 41/170
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Triangular course with roughly 200, 350 and 200 for distances between buoys, in a counter-clockwise direction.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:55 | 12.45 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 33/170
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Good mix of very gentle rollers... For the most part it could be considered to be flat. It was a great bike course that promoted high speeds... Only one real sharp turn (and the turnaround) to slow you down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/27
Overall: 59/170
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as the first mile and a half of the bike course- out and back, but it included a different section out since we exited the transition area on the other side. A relatively easy, flat run course other than the very beginning, which was steep.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-15 11:12 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Scofield Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scofield Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed