General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music to Run By Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-26 9:02 AM

Subject: Music to Run By
Being one who is *struggling* to get better at running, and finding it a challenge to run, I perked up at an idea someone expressed here about running with music. So -- any details from anyone here about good music to run by, and/or a source to get such music? Different music for different running pace?

Are there other tricks you runners may have to help get "into" running a bit more??

Thanks, Nancy

2004-01-26 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4981

User image

Expert
England
Subject: RE: Music to Run By

There's a good thread just recently that was about music to listen to and included some excellent suggestions that you might want to look at.

As for ideas to keep you running, I cant really help much as i just love it and could keep on running forever - swimming is my challenge!! I find most people tend to start off going toooo fast and get tired really quick and hence want to stop as it hurts! If this is you, try a very low intensity that is only slightly more than walking that you can maintain without discomfort, and build up from there. If it's boredom that gets you, then I just recommend focusing on your surroundings and try and notice things you never used to see from the car etc and distract yourself that way until you get in the zone - I'm always amazed how fast my hour passes then! Getting an HR monitor is good as thats a useful distraction as you focus on whats going on and how you feel etc.....

Good luck

2004-01-26 1:56 PM

User image

Champion

i like to think when i run...too boring?  some of my best ideas come from running on the trail...give it a try and reflect abour what u want to accomplish, solidify any goals in your life or how to get past potential problems..or form a plan to meet some expectations...u will be done before u know it...

ok, ok...your probably right, thinking is highly over-rated...

2004-01-26 2:22 PM

Thanks for directing me to the "sounds" thread -- I had missed it, and suppose I should have looked first and asked second. Sorry.

I don't think I feel bored when running -- I love the outdoors and all that is around me does indeed get my attention and pleases me. I think it is simply uncmfortable for me to run -- I can walk for miles and miles, bike for many more miles and swim for yards and yards, but running is a bear! I am hopeful this will change with time.

Nancy
2004-01-26 6:43 PM

South Bay
My friend and I used to have an agreement when we went out for long runs... we'd each memorize a tough riddle and give it to the other person 30 minutes in. I found that I'd spend the first 30 making sure I had mine memorized and the rest of the time trying to figure out hers. It was great! I've also been known to go through the multiplication tables in my head, too. Weird, I know!
2004-01-26 8:27 PM

I actually agree with Ron

Since I started training I tried running with music. Although I love lifting with music, running with music I dont like as much. If I do a half hour run, I try and reflect on my day and think through everything I have to do that night and in the coming days here at college.

This actually helps the work out be a little more relaxing for me... It helps me look forward to the "down" time....

....now I gotta keep thinking about it just like that... haha

2004-01-26 8:56 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I'm just the opposite of Ron and Chrisd9.

When I run I like to think of nothing. I pretend I'm blond. Okay, bad joke.

Seriously, I like to stare down a few feet ahead of actual feet. Run at a decent pace, keep breathing the same and enter a robotic trance. I'm finding that I can do this also when swimming (finally comfortable enough in the water).

Before I know it, it's been an hour, and I'm done.

I just recently found my CD player ... so next time I go running, I'll be playing some trance music.

When I first started I went running b/c it was part of my training. Now, I go running (and especially swimming) because I NEED TO. Without exercise I can get a bit grouchy.

Running in the snow was perfect.

I would love to go running through a darkened city at 3am (if that were safe). The only one out there on the streets. Nothing but you, your breathing, and the sound of your feet. That's what running is to me. Freedom. Liberty. Is that the Star-Spangled banner in the background?
2004-01-27 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5079

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I got a new MP3 player for Christmas I can use on the run (other is Jukebox that wasa great for weight training, but skipped too much on run). I have found on long runs I turn it off some. Once I hit the "zone", I sometimes turn it off and reflect or do self-therapy exercises. Gives me that alone time with myself. Then when I start losing focus, I turn the music back on.
2004-01-27 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5108

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey Cameron what kind did you get? I got one for Christmas but haven't opened it yet. I am not sure it is what I want. It is a sony is all about I know of it. I am not too technical anyway. I am not sure I can even put songs on it without a lot of work.
2004-01-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5127

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

FW Rio - 2004-01-27 12:32 PM Hey Cameron what kind did you get? .

I got the IRiver. So far it is great and downloaded music to it in about 10mins first time including installing SW. IT also has a FM radio and can even record (don't know why I need that though :-) I got the 128MB and it holds about 4hrs of music. It also has a hold feature that basically turns off all controls so don't bump something and change songs or turn off. IT's also tiny. Basically a little bigger than an AA battery and the battery is  most of  weight. I went to their web site and got the arm band. I actually hang it from my Fuel belt with the arm band strap.

2004-01-27 10:12 AM

I have the nomad jukebox zen...

it's slightly bulky (still real small)... but holds 20 gigs... so if you dont know that's an insane amt of music.

my room mate is going to be getting the new ipod mini... might be perfect for workouts plus holds a good amount of music (4 gigs I think)... ill let you guys know

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music to Run By Rss Feed