Race Day Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 20s
Overall Rank = 10/255
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am feeling good enough to stay awake. Ate my 2 bagels with honey and 1 bottle of water. Drove 75 miles and crossed 1 time zone to the race site.
Event warmup:

Registered and ended up body marking for 20 mins. Finally I told them I had to get set up. Set up transition, rode bike 1 mile to test out the mechanics, jogged 1/2 mile to check out the legs, 100 yard swim to loosen up, 1 gel 30 mins. before the race.
Swim
  • 03m 11s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had sent in my swim time and was seeded number 33. When we lined up it became a free for all and everyone lined up where they wanted to. We started on the side of the pool and started every 5 seconds. I caught the lady in front of me before the first wall. I passed her son by the next wall. I remember catching a guy right at the wall and he told me to go ahead of him. In all I passed 5 people on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Start sooner. I've been swimming 3:00 200's in practice so I seeded myself at about 3:15-3:30.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

From the pool to my bike was a good 100 yards. Went very smoothly.

Nothing
Bike
  • 27m 10s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I absolutely hammered this bike course. I wanted to catch my training partner so bad and I caught her just after the halfway point. The bike course was not marked very well and a lot of people took wrong turns and had to back track. I got lucky and hit all the turns flying. I was hoping I wouldn't pay for this later but I felt it was short enough I would be alright.

Not much, I only was 1:24 behind the fastest biker.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

It was as smooth as silk.

nothing
Run
  • 19m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is not my forte. The training partner I caught on the bike came out of T2 right behind me. She ran past me and I thought "I have to stay with her." We came up to a slight hill and she slowed up. I was just getting my legs under me and I took off. I could now see ahead of me a guy in my age group I always race against. He was walking at an aid station. Within a 1/2 mile I had passed him. The rest of the run I had a 12 year old boy running with me. He was on a relay team so he was fresh. He told me I was his inspiration but he was keeping me going. At the 2 mile mark we end up running in the grass for about 1/4 mile. We get back onto pavement and my training partner's mother is screaming at me "only 200 meters left." I knew it was a little further so held back 10 more seconds and then took off. I had another youngster try to catch me at the end but I held him off. It was hot by now and I was glad it was over. I don't think the run was a full 5k. It was probably a 2.6 mile by my time.

Not much. I need to do more bricks this off season and get my legs under me quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water and a shower

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It had gotten very warm out but this was the best I've ever done.

Event comments:

Waited around for awards. The age grouper that beat me won the Male Master so I took 1st in AG. My training partner took 1st in her AG and when the results came out she was 3rd OA Female. Gotta love Race Day Events. 2nd place in my AG went to the guy I race against all the time that I pased on the run. I ended up beating him by 5 mins. He couldn't believe I had improved that much. I talked to my training partner and her mother after the race. I asked her how she caught me coming out of T2. She said "after you passed me on the bike, I rode as fast and as hard as I could just to stay up with you." Overall I was very pleased with this race, just missed 9th place by 2 seconds and didn't realize I had raced this fast. I was very inspired by a young lady in a wheel chair that competed in the race and finished. I didn't get to see her swim but they said she was very strong in the water, I saw her on her hand crank 3 wheel bike, and I saw her getting into her running chair which was also 3 wheeled. I got to body mark her in registration and she had rock solid arms. I wish the race had been better organized but I really enjoyed myself racing this sprint.

Last updated: 2007-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:11 | 200 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 30/255
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 8 lengths in a 25 yd. pool, swim under the rope each length
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:10 | 9.32 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Overall: 5/255
Wind: None
Course: Out and back on country roads
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:40 | 03.11 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 27/255
Course: Paved trails with hills and some grass at the end through the Springbrook Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No