Other Resources My Cup of Joe » broken hearted son Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-10-13 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: broken hearted son

My 11 year old is devastated tonight because he was cut from the 11A1 hockey team, finally sobbed himself to sleep.  He played with this group of kids last year, and really thought he would again this year. Some of his friends did make it and some were also cut.  I know right now there is little that can be said, I mostly just held him and let him storm and cry.  These are life lessons, and we all must face them, and learn how to make the best of situations. He feels he did the best he could – but now that means his best was not good enough. And there is a school mate who did make the team who will torment Jake with it tomorrow.  How can I help him to feel better about himself and to allow himself to enjoy the coming hockey season? Hockey is his number one sport.  I am so sad for him. As adult it is hard enough to not make our goals, how can I help an 11 year old grow from that?

2004-10-13 11:39 PM
in reply to: #72196

Champion
Subject: RE: broken hearted son

Ask him tomorrow how he would feel if you were to cook his favorite dinner, but ended up burning it to a crisp and had to throw it out.  Or if you did the laundry and absolutely ruined his #1 favorite T-shirt.  Would he hate you for it?  Would he think that you failed your job as a mother, that he would be better off without you?  Of course you know what his answers will be.  The same as your answers.  That he has not failed as a son, as a human being.  That we all face unpleasant situations, and the things that build our character and self esteem are the way we handle the valleys in life as well as the mountain tops.  Talk to him only in the present.  Telling him how he will feel 6 months in the future is hard to grasp.  That seems like an eternity to a child.  Above all, tell him how much you love him, and that you love his ability to play the game and are less concerned with the outcome.

2004-10-13 11:39 PM

Champion

Sorry about the double click!

Edited by max 2004-10-13 11:39 PM
2004-10-14 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Laerka,

I am so sad for your son! Really tough lesson to learn. One of the toughest things is to do your best and find that this is not good enough. He should be proud to have given it his best. He will be stronger for this, he needs to hold his head up high everyday and be sure and proud of his effort. As far as the "other" kid, hey, your son will be able to overcome this with the high self esteem that you ahve given him!

Good luck and don't let him give up on hockey.

It may not be too helpful, but I have been in a position to select new employees and sometimes it is downright difficult to have to decide between one or another, especially when it comes to a career. The coaches probably had a tough time and perhaps your son could speak to one of them and find out where he could improve. I have had candidates ask after how they could improve and come back next time and win. There is a line between wanting to know the reason they weren;t selected and finding out how to improve and show and interest in improving.

2004-10-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #72241

Online or Offline

Oh Laerka, my heart just broke reading your post!

I think max and Glen have offered some very good tips on how to handle it...I'm not a parent myself, but still remember being parented, and would have loved for my parents to have offered that kind of support to me as a child (actually for some reason, "stuff" just rolled off my back as a kid).

I bet max and Glen are great dads.

WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!!???? (he he, just had to say that today!)

2004-10-14 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I know at your son's age, most of what he's doing growing up and figuring out who he is, he's going to constantly compare himself to his peers. That's the tough part. Seeing how/where he fits in. Just help him remember that he should only expect the best from himself. He can't do better than that at that moment, and that is nothing to be sad about. My Taiji coach has a saying that he uses on his younger students when they get upset if they don't win one of the games they are playing in class. "Godzilla doesn't always win. Sometimes her best isn't as good as Mothra's, or Rodan's, but she always does her best and she's always proud that she's brave enough to fight again and again." Kinda' goofy to tell someone who's 11, but I hope you get my point. Help him see that he should always be proud when he does his best - because you are proud of him when he does his best. His coach may not always be his coach, but you will always be his mom. Remind him that even if he didn't make the team he was hoping to make, that it doesn't excuse him from doing his best and having fun with the team his is on.

As far as advice for his tormentor, the only advice I can give will land him in the vice-principal's office, so I'll keep that to myself. Seriously, if his mate feels like he has to make your son feel bad about not making the team, he must have been worried that your son was going to be in and he would have been cut. The bully is just making himself feel better in the typical crappy way that bullies do.

-Frank

2004-10-14 9:30 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Oh, darn, darn, darn. I hate it that kids have to learn these lessons. Of course, they DO, but it just stinks. One thing I've learned now that my kids are older and have weathered some of these storms: I NEVER have forgotten their anguish. I can feel it to this day, but mostly they've forgotten it. They get over these things better than we do. Which, I figure, is part of the job of parenting and the way things should be. If I can hold some of that pain for them, I will gladly do that.

I would say focus on these things. He did his best. It doesn't necessarily follow that his best wasn't good enough. His skills might not have been the necessary focus for team development right now. If they needed to add solid left wings and he plays a strong center, then in another year he might well have made the team. The coaches have to look at the needs of the team as a whole, and not just at the skills of an individual applicant.

And, (and I feel this very strongly) children can be armed with non-violent tools against bullies. There are very good resources out there and schools are starting to take bullying very seriously. If he isn't comfortable verbally defending himself, ask for help from school officials. Or check out resources at the public library. Or, when I get to work, I can send you a list of a few good books or articles. Enduring taunts from bullies is no longer considered to be part and parcel of the education experience. Why it ever WAS is beyond me, but fortunately things are moving along on that score.

Andrea
2004-10-14 10:14 AM

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
I hate it when our kids are sad. My daugther did not make the "basketball team" at school... broken hearted because her friends did, I felt really bad. I encouraged her to continue working out with me and focus on other things. The next year, she continued to try out for the team, worked out real hard, and made the team!! She wasn't the best player, but she made it!!!

Tell your son not to give up. BTW, my daugther could have made the varisty team her junior year (this school year), and decided against it. She decided to focus on other school activities. She loves working out and running.. and is doing her first triathlon in June!
2004-10-14 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Thank you all for your thoughts, we ache to see our kids hurt, and just want to have the ability to make it go away.  But since that is not possible, helping them to hold onto and build a sense of self through the “valleys and mountain tops” as you say Max is the best we can do.  And yes, all we can ever give is our best ...I guess this is really an ideal learning opportunity. Who knew there were so many life lessons to be learnt at the hockey rink??

I remember when I was 10 and a new girl moved onto the Airforce base where we lived. She took MY backstroke place on the IM relay team. The feeling that I wasn't good enough and was only mediocre in sports followed me my whole life until this past summer at my Olympic tri – when I made peace with mediocre so long as it was my best.  That took me 30 years to learn – I hope he is quicker than that.

We did discuss how to handle and what to say when he is approached by that child (I know the parents and child, it is a self –esteem issue for that boy, the father was one of the coaches last year, so the child liked to feel he was “in the know” all the time, and is slowly learning the hard way that putting others down doesn’t make friends).  I agree Andrea, the idea that bulling was an accepted rite of passage is barbaric. Fortunately Jake has many at school and hockey who will stand beside him.  I will let you all know how his day goes. Thank you for your thoughts – I think I needed them for my sake as much as for his!

2004-10-14 10:42 AM

User image

Elite

Laerka,

There are some really great sports figures who did not make their jr high or high school teams (I wish I had the names handy).   Kid's talent develops at different rates.  Coaches' assessments of talent are fallible.  If your son loves the game, he will keep playing.  It takes some fire in the gut to succeed.  This may be the event he looks back to for the rest of his life for the motivation to do his best to succeed.

That is a speech for tomorrow.  Today, just hug him.

TW

2004-10-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: #72287

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I actually think that Michael Jordan didn't make Varsity for most of high school (I'm no sports fan, so that definitely needs a fact-check).

I think it was great advice that someone gave for him to talk to the coach about what needs improvement. I think this is a prime opportunity for him to learn to never give up. You know, let him be bummed for a while, then give him a pep talk about showing them what he's made of next year! Like Pilot Girl, I'm not a parent, yet. This is just what I know my dad would have done with me and I can attribute 100% of my 'never give up' attitude to him.

Poor kid. :-( Hope he cheers up soon. And I hope that other kid doesn't harrass him.

2004-10-14 11:55 AM

User image

Oh Laerka, I am hurting for you. My son is a very gifted baseball player. He did not make the select team this summer. He hurt, I hurt for him. He was really down for a few days. His way of handling it was to go to the backyard and throw pitch after pitch at the target. He is hungry for this spring.

Time does not heal all wounds, love heals wounds. Your son is very fortunate to have a compassionate mom like you.
2004-10-14 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

You wonderful people are all making me cry again.  Damn, parenting is hard. 

I'm going to do what ever good triathlete does when upset - going for a run in the rain.

(ps. that is a heartfelt comment about how kind and helpful everyone is - despite the tears!)

Edited by Laerka 2004-10-14 12:16 PM
2004-10-14 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
I feel sad for your sone too and have seen this before. I'm use to coach high school baseball and had the awful task of selecting players and telling some kids they didn't make the team. I typically had to tell 10-15 kids every year, some knew they were not good enough and some were devastated like your son. I cut a player one year as a sophomore and gave him the advice I'll give you. He went out and practiced, played on another team, then tried out the following year and made the high school team. In fact, his junior year I learned a new position (catcher) and played the remainder of h.s.

I'd offer the suggestion that if your son truely loves hockey then he should not give up on it or get down on the sport. Could he find another team to play on? Is there any chance he can practice on his own or with friends? He's almost at the age where he could start working out (something you know about) to improve his performance on the ice. Perhaps he can set a goal and work towards it. I feel this is a great approach and hope he succeeds at it.
2004-10-14 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Big cyber hug for you and your son!!!!!

Wendi
2004-10-14 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Sann,

Don't know where I've been, but I just found this thread.  Maybe you can explain to your son the difference between experience and failure.  Failure is when you fail and give up.  Experience is when you make mistakes or come up short, then use that to better prepare for the next time.  What this means is that only you can determine whether or not you are a failure.  If your son really loves hockey, then maybe you and he should sit down and map out a plan to come back next year bigger and better than ever.  Are there other teams to join or private lessons he could take?  While I feel that 11 is kind of a young age to be dealing with this stuff, it can be a great learning experience for him.

I will say that the best thing he seems to have going for him are parents that love him.

2004-10-14 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Laerka, I can well empathize with you your feeling for your son and I can offer my sympathy to your son for his loss.  However, he should not think of this as a failure.  He worked hard and did his best and THAT is all that we can expect ourselves or anyone else.  I'm sure that your son would find no succor in these words so the best thing is to let him get over his grief and get on with his life.  Perhaps he is not meant to be a hockey player, but on the other hand he needn't quit.  He can perseveer and keep playing in whatever league is available to him and hone his skills for next year. 

My son was crestfallen years ago when he was not accepted into Architecture some years ago and wanted to give up his scholastic endeavours.  I suggested that he choose a general Major, stick it out for that year, apply again the following year.  He did go to school and did very well and he did get in to the Architecture school the following year and is now doing his Masters.  So just tell your son to keep trying.  Remember "If at first you don't succeed..."

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-10-14 1:50 PM
2004-10-14 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
I agree with c2fd. Keep him in the game. Use the newly available time to get some ice time. Is there a site out there like BT - except for beginner ice hockey players??? You know...find a cool plan that works drills, agility, strength, coordination. Hat Trick in 20 weeks. Doing this will keep him interested in the sport as well as improving his skill level. Besides all that, just being there for him is a great start.

Edited by jkbostic 2004-10-14 4:25 PM
2004-10-15 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Some back ground …  here, at 11 yo community hockey you have A1 (top team) , A2, A3. So yes, Jake will play this year, just not at the level he wanted to. He has chosen to participate in skills camps and gets on the ice at any opportunity year round, so understands the importance of practicing drills and game situations. (as many suggested, keeping him in the game is important - it is about so much more than winning)

Last night he was able to articulate to me that he was intensely disappointed because he thought he skated well at tryouts, and discouraged that despite his skills practice he was cut, but he was also embarrassed at facing all the kids after moving down a level. (being able to do that alone impressed me – I work with adults that are unable to put name to feelings as well!) But he still went to school yesterday and started right off with a congratulations comment of some type as he saw the various kids. The child he was concerned about looked surprised and asked Jake what team he made. So Jake simply said “I’m playing A2 this year” – no apology or embarrassment – just the fact.  The kids were all great and gave him lots of support and encouragement and let him know that in their opinion he should be playing A1. (which of course means more than anything at 11)

He’s aware that feeling of not thinking he is good enough may come as go as the season moves on, but this morning he told me, “I’m going to make this my best year yet mum, so next year they have to take me.”  (I know there is no ‘have to’, but I loved the attitude – he’s had enough reality for right now!)  So can I be a proud mamma or what ??

Thanks again all, sports bring so many lessons with them, I am so glad that bt is about more than just the technical ‘how to’ stuff …now, can I come crying back to you all when it is me that doesn’t make my goal??

2004-10-15 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great news. Not only should you be proud of your son for the way he is handling the situation so well, but be proud of yourself too. You've obviously given him the tools to deal with it very well. Kids always seem to learn how to respond to life's hard lessons more by watching what you do rather than how you tell them to deal with it, so it is definitely great that you've obviously done a good job as a role model

-Frank
2004-10-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: #72667

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
He sounds like a really great kid! :-) I bet he'll make A1 next year with a spirit like that!

2004-10-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #72657

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Sann,

The way he is handling it is incredible.
What a great outlook he has.

It sounds like he's one of the top players on A2 and he can look at that as an opportunity to stand out and shine as well as nurture and help develop the players that aren't quite as good as he is...It's all good karma in the end...It will help him and grow him, give him a stronger sense of self and give him the opportunity to reach out to others and will probably increase his reputation at school as someone with a sensitive heart.

You are a lucky mom....and he's a lucky son.

nt

2004-11-08 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Hi sann,

I has been a couple of weeks since this thread but just wondering how your son is doing? Sometimes these things feel like the end of the world but after a few weeks they are better and all are stronger for it!

2004-11-08 6:41 PM
in reply to: #80273

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

c2fd - 2004-11-08 10:08 AM  Hi sann,

I has been a couple of weeks since this thread but just wondering how your son is doing? Sometimes these things feel like the end of the world but after a few weeks they are better and all are stronger for it!

Thanks for asking Glen. He is actually doing fine – or better than that, as several people suggested, he has fallen into somewhat of leadership role. The whole team is playing well and has won all 7 games so far. Jake, (if I may brag here for a second!) is the team leader in assists and second for goals, but more importantly has made a point of ‘setting-up’ a few players who had not had the thrill of scoring yet. He noticed this on his own and then did something about it. He also made use of the time freed up with less hockey practice to join the school volley ball and basketball team.

Lol- he is a great kid – but, if I take any credit for him, than I also need to accept responsibility for Torben’s (my other son)’s WILD ways…. so I figure Jake was just born with an “old soul”. 

(Torben honey, if someday you read this you know I love ya and am just teasing you right?? J)

When I look back at this thread ... I am so thankful for how kind and supportive everyone was ... wow, bt is more than just triathlons ... thank you.

2004-11-08 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks for the update! (and to Glen for the bump) I was thinking about you guys and wondering how the boy was doing with hockey this year. That's really great to read that he noticed that some kids weren't scoring and the he set them up for goals of their own. That is the coolest thing.

-Frank
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » broken hearted son Rss Feed  

of 2