United States
888F / 476C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 24s
Overall Rank = 333/446
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

This race was extremely limited by my preparation. For the 6 weeks before the race, 4 of them were spent working around 80hrs/wk plus the hours required to do presentations. With the extremely hot weather (100+), I got in very little training. The last two weeks, I had some training that was limited by my lack of fitness going into it, weather, and studying for my board lisencing (sp?) exam. So this was extremely limited and I wasn't expecting much out of this race. Just wanted to race since I had to miss so many I wanted to do because of work.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:50, ate a hot pocket (not the best choice), got ready and drove to the event. Had a little more than an hour before the first heat went off. The day was extremely humid and the temp going up quickly.

For warm-up, I walked around, did a little jogging (note little), and rode my bike around checking out the gearing.

This was a reverse tri, so the run went first.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Reverse tri - this was the last pasrt. I knew going in that the swim wasn't going to be blazing so I just went for consistent. Started well but got bottlenecked behind a bunch of people that were breast-stroking and back-stroking that I had a very hard time getting around. Lasted for 100 - 200m of the 400m. Probably could have matched last years time if I hadn't gotten blocked in.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

This was run to bike; not sure of time as it was part of the bike time, but it was quick, and efficient. I got in and out, gained a number of places on other people. Overall very pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Was tired and fast walked instead of ran out with my bike.
Bike
  • 21m 48s
  • 6 miles
  • 16.51 mile/hr
Comments:

This went decently but was not as strong as I would like. Started out strongly but faded due to lack of training. Had trouble getting around people riding in the center of the road that was blocked off for us and were obviously inexperienced so I didn't want to get too close.

Training. Run faster to get out there with the more experienced triathletes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

This was bike to swim. No exact time, based on estimated. Went well except for forgetting to take sunglasses off and having to go back. Figured it out before I got to the end of the rack.
Run
  • 35m 20s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I worked on keeping a constant pace, but went out a little quicker than I had planned.

I walked down and up the big hill on the golf course (better than sliding down on my butt, the likely consequence of running down, and better than hitting my max HR, the consequence of running up).

I had a little abdominal cramping issues (not suprising since I'm due to start) but was able to work through it. Kept a decent but slow running pace most of the time with little changes in speed overall.

More training before hand, maybe run the course ahead of time.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 437 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 79/446
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Pool swim at the end of the race, 50m lanes.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:21:48 | 06 miles | 16.51 mile/hr
Overall: 50/446
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Go out and down a main road, through a neighborhood with numerous sharp turns having to dodge man-hole covers at same time, then back out on main roads. A few small inclines, but nothing I would call a hill. More like false flats. Course was relatively crowded with many inexperienced cyclists.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:20 | 03 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 126/446
Performance: Average
Course: Cross country course. Started out in heats of 100 but there was some mixing near the end of the course. Starts out with a gradual but pretty constant up hill path with some steeper grades. Trail was dirt with some rocks and roots, but not too bad. Lots of shade from the trees. The grass was still wet and made for a very wet and slippery steep hill in the middle on the golf course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes