Playtri
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 27s
Overall Rank = 236/325
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/34
Pre-race routine:

Drank a good amount of water and had a Clif Builder Bar.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching.
Swim
  • 06m 58s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded myself at 10 mins for the swim prior to the race as a ballpark estimate. As a result I would up being grouped with people that I probably should have been ahead of. I passed 10-15 people on the swim and did it in under 7 mins so I am pretty happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will put down my actual swim time and get with the right group. Also, I need to get back in the pool and start practicing my swimming. My time was good but the lack of effort I put into practicing this leg of the triathlon probably hurt me on the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Since I had never done this before I thought it went well. I got out and got my feet dry enough to get socks on, jumped in my shoes, threw on the helmet and sunglasses and I was gone.

Dunno
Bike
  • 48m 34s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent the first few miles trying to get on pace. It was windy in spots and I think my overall average speed suffered but I can't complain too much. I did pass some folks on main street at each of the two hills so that made me feel pretty good.

About 1 mile into the ride Jonathan passed me on his second loop. I gotta get a new bike.

Push it more on the first loop. I think I started out at too easy of a pace. Also, I should have used the tri-bars more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I completely forgot I had bike shoes on coming into the dismount area. Jonathan and I had discussed it while waiting on the swim to start and he warned me to be careful since the bike shoes were slippery. I unclipped and jumped off and as soon as those clips on my shoes hit the concrete, I fell flat on my back. The volunteer was nice enough to ask if I was ok and right after I said "I'm good" I freaking fell down again. Women shrieked, babies cried, men pointed and laughed. Luckily I only had to go two rows in to get to my bike rack otherwise I might have fell again. Changed into my running shoes, popped a GU and hit the road.

Stay vertical and maybe work on getting out of my shoes while still on the bike. I need to do some research on that part of it.
Run
  • 33m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I am by no means a runner, it's certainly my weakest of the three events. I'm getting there but I still have a ways to go. I only walked while drinking my water at each aid station (miles 1, and 2) but I think I could have done a faster time than I did. At the end of the race with about 200yds to go I tried to pass a guy and when we got shoulder to shoulder he dropped the hammer on me. We sprinted to the finish but I just couldn't catch him. Made us look like a couple of good runners to the spectators though. It also made me realize I had more left in the tank and should have picked up the pace sooner.

Keep up my pace through the aid stations and push it a little more. Also, I need to make sure I setup the chrono on my watch right. I knew what my lap time was but I had no idea where I was in overall time. I think it would have helped me out to know that.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran about 10 feet past the finish line and got mobbed by the time chip lady. She said she wanted to remove my time chip but she was pulling on my patella strap. After we got that straightened out I grabbed the first water bottle I could find and chugged it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm pretty sure it was the threat of global warming weighing heavily on my thoughts as I ran the course. That or I just need to train harder. It's really pretty much a toss up.

Event comments:

For my first triathlon I am very pleased. My family came out to support me and my brother flew in for this race and was there waiting for me at the finish. It was one of the cooler things I have done and now I can honestly tell people that I AM A TRIATHLETE!

Last updated: 2007-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:58 | 383 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/34
Overall: 0/325
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:34 | 12.75 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/34
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: My bike computer showed 12.97 miles so either it is off or I rode more than I had to. I saw other reports of the course being longer than 12 miles as well so I edited the distance to 12.75 based on what other people showed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:25 | 03.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/34
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2007-08-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #930915

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon

Congrats on your first triathlon!  Great job.  Do you have a swimming background, because that's a great swim time?

The bike dismount sounds funny.  Sorry I missed it, but glad to hear that you're OK.  Just a little more practice, right?

2007-08-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: #932038

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Thanks for the congrats.

I have a swimming background but that was 17 years ago. I was pretty happy with the time but I definitely need to add more pool time to my training.

The dismount probably was pretty funny to anyone witnessing it, it sure caught me completely off guard. I know I will do it differently next time.

Thanks again for the encouragement, I hope to see you at a future event.
2007-08-21 10:25 PM
in reply to: #934199

User image

New user

Congrats on your first race!  I had to read your report as this was my first triathlon as well. Sounds like you had an entertaining T2! Good luck on your next race. I'm targeting Stonebridge Ranch for my next before the big Lifetime Fitness race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed