General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson, Georgia
United States
tri blue sky
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 24s
Overall Rank = 347/501
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 42/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a bit after 4:00AM on my own (alarm set for 4:25), so took it as a sign and climbed out of bed. Everything was ready to go, so it was a simple matter to throw on clothes, load the car, and wait for Calvin to pull up so we could caravan down together. Nibbled on a Clif bar during the trip and drank an ice coffee and Vitaman Water during the hour+ drive.
Event warmup:

Picked up chip, got marked, and then unloaded car and set up T-area. Chatted with friends for a bit, munched on a banana, took a quick dip in the lake, and then took a quick WU run to check out finish/end parts of the run course.
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

In comparison to my swim at Indian Springs, this one went much better. This time I positioned myself to the outside right and rear of the pack. My goal/focus was simply to "Just keep swimming." For the most part, I hit the mark. I didn't get beat up at the start and was able to establish a pretty good stroke/breathing rhythm early. Nearing the first turn, I was still in touch with the tail of my wave and this was encouraging. I didn't round the buoy as well as I'd have liked, but it wasn't too ugly. Once around, I set my sights on the next buoy and told myself "Just keep swimming." Unfortunately, about 100 meters further, I lost the mental focus and started to be distracted by swimmers in my wave as well as by the pink caps who were now in our midst. As a result, I lost what form I had and slowed down quite a bit. Still, I was very encouraged by the first half of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Keep building on this one. This was only my second non-wetsuit OWS as part of a large group and I'm continuing to learn lots. Despite the still slow times, this one left me feeling optimistic about things.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Hah...after the 30 second run from the lake to the T area, I managed to transition fairly smoothly until it came time to mount the bike. My goal for this one was 90 seconds and I came close to hitting it; after crossing the timing mat, it was a short jog to the "Mount" line. My plan was to cross the line at a slow jog and then mount the bike by placing my unclipped left foot on the pedal and then - with momentum carrying me forward - then swinging my right leg over the saddle and clipping in. Unfortunately, as I put my weight on the left foot/pedal to allow me to "swing," the left foot slipped off and with all of my weight now firmly committed to the left, me and the bike went down to the ground. "He's safe!!!" I skinned my left knee and elbow and "dinged" my left shin. The "dinged" shin bled a bit, but then stopped. Fortunately my tri shorts didn't rip. I quickly picked myself up and righted the bike, more worried about the precious liquid now spilling from my aero bottle than anything else, and got the hell out of dodge.
Ranked 32/45 AG

Uh...not fall on my a$$ for starters...get the left foot clipped in...and just work on shaving seconds via better technique in T...
Bike
  • 44m 15s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough ride for me. I rode a Century in very hot conditions ~2 weeks ago and my legs have felt heavy ever since. I thought teaching my weekly spin class and subbing a class the Thursday prior to this race would help "prime" them for the race, but it wasn't to be.
My HR felt like it was pegged the entire ride and even though I settled into a decent pace during the second half of it, I never had any "giddyup" in the legs. Also, due to losing ~1/3 of my aero bottle contents at the mount line, I didn't drink nearly enough.

I really need to factor "fun" rides into my planning schedule in a more deliberate fashion. This is the second race where a hard ride the week or two prior to the race might've had an impact on my performance. Need to get a handle on this and determine if accurate or just an excuse; if the latter, why the "heavy" legs?
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Out of fairness to T1, my goal here was also 90 seconds or better. If I'd been able to get my feet out of the bike shoes prior to dismount, I'd probably have beat this goal easily. As it stood, I had to take off the cycle shoes and after putting on the Glycerins, I took a few extra seconds to grab a drink and to squirt some water over my head. At least I stayed upright at the "Dismount" line...;)

Get out of cycling shoes prior to dismount. Practice...
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Like on the bike course, felt like my HR was pegged during the run. I kept a steady (but slow) pace to the turn-around, but the pegged HR coupled with the hills on the return portion were too much and I walked part of the bigger ones. It was humid as heck out there and I just had no "fight" in me.

Need to do more hill work as it seems most of these Tri the Parks courses are hilly. I also need to do more hot weather work and get my body/mind more used to dealing with the heat/humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and an orange. Chatted with friends, walked around, watched and cheered other finishers. Drank more water and topped it with a chocolate milk. Hung out with ADollar and Marvarnett, watched and cheered the award winners and then a group of us headed to High Falls BBQ for some chow...mmmmm. Oh yeah, the day was not a total loss - I ended up winning the All3 Sports $50 gift cert. door prize...sweet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Numero uno - more consistent training. Unlike my first two tris, training for this one was hit or miss. My swim volume was WAY down; run volume was good for July, but it dropped off quite a bit during the past two weeks; bike volume was good, but primarily due to the Century ride I did two weeks prior to the race. I didn't follow a consistent plan leading up to this race and I didn't do any bricks (only a few t-runs after cycling/teaching spin class). You get out of it what you put in, right?
Looking ahead, I'm going to see what the budget might allow as far as engaging the services of a coach - BT Gold Plan-based or other - as I definitely see the benefits that can be gained therein.

Event comments:

Looking forward to the 2008 season with this series.

Last updated: 2007-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 656 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/45
Overall: 0/501
Performance: Average
Swim (~16:35) + run from lake to timing mat (~:30)
Suit: 2XU tri suit
Course: Triangular - swim to the right, round buoy to the left, swim back, round final buoy and straight in to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:15 | 13.7 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/45
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Counterclockwise loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:45 | 03.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/45
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, over hill and dale...ugh! Not many places on this course to establish any type of rhythm - one minute it's flat, the next it's down, and after that it's up...wish I had this course near my home - it'd be great for training! ;)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park

2007-08-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #930935

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park

I think you pulled off a great race.  You know your limitations and you work around them.  You have come a long way this year.  You should be every bit pround.

Oh yeah...

Your mother is a wh*re, Trebek!

2007-08-19 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race lou! Sounds like that t1 to bike sucked a little, but you live and learn. Congrats on a great race!
2007-08-19 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Lou -

These OWS are all about experience - IMHO. Keep showing up and you'll be golden. Do I understand correctly that this is one of your first half dozen or so races? If so, you are absolutely rocking!

Forgive me for smiling re the wipeout. Been there, too. In front of a crowd as well.

Way to go, racer and good luck training for the next one.

c
2007-08-19 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Way to go, Lou! I'm so glad your swim went much better. I don't think OWS is natural for anyone, especially in a race, it just takes practice and it does get easier! You still had a great race!

I think I've done a very similar spill getting on my bike, hope the leg is healing and it feels better.

2007-08-20 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Great Race and outstanding report. Great Job pushing through and finishing strong.

2007-08-20 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Awesome job Lou! I think that your times are great especially considering the hit-or-miss training that you described above (um - welcome to my club  ) and the fact that you almost took yourself out during T1!  Is it wrong that I wished I'd been there to see that? 

Glad that you had a fun race and nice to see that the swim portion of it is getting a bit easier for you.  Always remember that it's your race and don't let those pink caps intimidate you!

Congratulations again on a terrific race!

2007-08-20 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

I'm so glad I'm not the only who has bit it after T1 - don't feel bad, I did that at my last race.

Nice race Lou!! This is your first season on tris, which is a great time to learn what works and what doesn't. It sounds like you are identifying what to work on, which is great! You did a great job regardless, you should be proud of your performance! Congrats on a great race!!

Oh, and I can recommend a great coach if you decide to go that route (which I highly recommend!).

2007-08-20 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hi Lou.  Good Job!

I too know the pain, both physical and emotional, of the not so smooth bike crash at the start/end of a transition.  Mine was right in front of my family, and I heard my daughter giggle and say "Oh great, dad".  Priceless.  Laughing

All things considered, it sounds like you had a tough but good experience.  That's what it's all about, right?  Way to hang in there.

2007-08-20 7:45 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Nice job out there Lou, and great race report!  I'm glad you wre able to "be the fish" and just keep swimming, Dory style.  Given that I am about the klutziest person around, I shall refrain from comment on the T1 bike issue... just glad that both you and the bike were OK!  You have come a long way this season and should be very proud!
2007-08-21 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Nice job and race report.  My HR always pegs too, so I decided to race without it.  Somehow it made me feel better.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed