General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 23s
Overall Rank = 1151/1704
Age Group = Athena 15-39yo
Age Group Rank = 27/40
Pre-race routine:

Vanilla yogurt with strawberries. Coffee with silk. 1:10 drive to Columbia. Marked myself and set up my transition area. I was in the wave with 20-24yos and Athenas. I was next to several ladies on the James Madison University triathlon team. Pretty intimidating! Stood in line for bathroom for a few minutes so I could change into my tri-suit. Met up with crabsrule and MDHillSlug for a few minutes in the transition area.
Event warmup:

A few stretches, but really didn't warm up.
Swim
  • 18h 02m
  • 1100 yards
  • 1h 38m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is my thing, the one leg of this where I'm comfortable. This whole triathlon thing is to get me out of my comfort zone!

I got stopped twice behind groups of brave ladies where there were no holes to get through. Had to zap some energy to get around them on the outside -- hey, they were out there when most people were in bed asleep! I was further from the buoys than I should have been, but my claustrophobia kicks in if I'm in a large group with arms and legs flailing. I stayed safe and outside for most of the race. At the last buoy/turn, put head down and plowed all the way into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive and stay on a straighter course near the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

I finished the swim hard, so the run uphill to the transition area was hard and I had to walk part of it. Took longer than I thought to dry my feet and get my socks and shoes on. I think I was just sitting on the ground for a while trying to catch my breath. Drank some water and 1/2 a GU packet.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 36s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 13.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy to have just finished it. I haven't been on a bike in 20 years until the last few months of training. Rode the entire Iron Girl course only one time this past week before the race.

Three hills kicked my butt, so I walked up each for a few minutes. I promised myself I wouldn't do that, but oh well. Stood up on a couple of hills and my legs were completely spent afterwards and my heartrate was through the roof. Husband's bike is smoking on the downhills, but pokey on the uphills. But that could just be me!

I obviously needed more hill work. If I had done the course 2-3 more times, I would have been much more prepared.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I used my running shoes instead of cycling shoes during the bike, so the only thing I had to do was take off my helmet and gloves, take off my fanny pack (with bike innertube, pump, etc.), and put on my visor and my bib number. Good transition. LOVE the tri-suit!

Nothing. When I upgrade to my own bike and cycling shoes, I will need to practice the shoe switch.
Run
  • 42m 32s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked way too much. I had a cramp starting the run in my ribs and also had to retie my shoes, so I walked longer than I wanted to. Walked up hills and ran down hills and level areas. Saw one other Athena pass me about .50 mile out, so I caught her, passed her, and ran most of the way to the finish. I don't know how I dug that out of me.

Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate bagel with cream cheese, banana, oreos with peanut butter,
drank more water. Going up and down the hills at the finish stretched out my legs pretty well. Waited in line for a free massage, but the line was just too long so I gave up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being as prepared for the hills as I should have been.

Event comments:

Loved it and had a great time! Smiled and thanked all the volunteers and spectators and cops directing traffic.

50% of the participants entered this as their first triathlon - this was my first since I've been an adult. I had a very hard time with the hills, but that was because I didn't train like I should have. I'm a hill wuss.

Great fan support and very organized. I would like to do the race again next year and better my time. Maybe I can convince my daughter to do it with me. She was my photographer today. She and my husband were my cheering section. I will upload pics if they're not too embarassing! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
18:02:00 | 1100 yards | 1h 38m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/40
Overall: 70/1704
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Tri-suit
Course: No wetsuits allowed. Lake swim. No current or waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:20:36 | 17.5 miles | 13.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/40
Overall: 1407/1704
Performance: Below average
To turnaround in 45 min (about 10 miles), 1:30 rest, 33 back (about 7.5 miles). Lots more downhills on the return. Woo hoo!
Wind: Little
Course: Hills! Lots of hills!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:32 | 03.4 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/40
Overall: 1502/1704
Performance: Below average
Course: Hills. Lots of hills!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2007-08-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: #931019

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

Great job Laurie.

That's a blistering swim time.

I was happy to see that the rain held off long enough for everyone to get off the bike.

2007-08-19 3:13 PM
in reply to: #931021

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

I was happy to finish the ride before the rain really started and was worried about those who were still on the bike.  Going down those hills while wet must be a scary thing.  Thanks for volunteering today!

2007-08-20 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

OK, I tried to post a few pics that my daughter took, but the resolution is horrible when I resize down to under 50KB.  I'll practice and try to repost if I can.

Laurie

2007-08-21 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran

HOLY COW - look at that swim time!!!!  Way to go.   You did an awesome job on the rest of the course too. 

Glad we got to spend a bit of time chatting before the race.  Congrats on a great race.

2007-08-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: #933941

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
crabsrule - 2007-08-21 10:10 AM

HOLY COW - look at that swim time!!!!  Way to go.   You did an awesome job on the rest of the course too. 

Glad we got to spend a bit of time chatting before the race.  Congrats on a great race.

I only finished that bike ride since you took the time to go out on it with me my first time!  That made all the difference! 

2007-08-21 9:24 AM

Laurie - so glad we got to meet! Congrats on your finish and a really strong swim! Hope to see you at another! OOO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed