General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson GA, Georgia
United States
tri blue sky
84.5F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 56s
Overall Rank = 130/501
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and got ready. Grabbed an Uncrustable and some coffee for breakfast and hit the road. Got to the race site about 6:45.
Event warmup:

Got in the water to get use to it and ran up the stairs that we had to use to get to transition.
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

First swim that I was able to do all the way through without stopping. Started out in the mix of things right off the bat and the frist 100-150 meters was a bit rough getting by people and getting kicked. Rounded the first bouy and felt good and kept going. Hit the second bouy right on it and rounded it to the finish. Was happy that I was able to go the entire distance without a break. Swam as far to the shore as I could before standing up.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Very happy with the swim leg.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Great Transition time, goal was to do this under a minute. Had an issue with my helmet strap being twisted but that worked out. First transition that I did with my shoes already clipped in so I moved to the left a bit to get out of peoples way incase I couldn't do it and got yelled at to move to the right so I just jumped on and went off. Got into my shoes fine but didn't pull the straps and rode the bike leg with my shoes not fastened but it didn't effect anything at all.

Maybe make sure my chin strap is straight, but other then that pleased.
Bike
  • 43m 6s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on the bike and was able to get into a good grove. Brought my areobottle for water which helped out a lot. Shifted good throught the ride and was ablet to push it on downhills and not be afraid of the speed.

Work on Hills during the off season and also bike handling to be a little more confident while on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Was able to do a flying dismount here. Got out of my shoes easy since I never strapped them down. Picked up my bike and ran with it instead of having my shoes drag. Also decided to go sockless on the race but had a little trouble getting tonto my shoes. Grabbed my hat and race belt and was able to put those on while on the run out of T2

Practice quickly putting on my running shoes.
Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Was able to keep a good pace but had to walk a bit on a few of the hills and the water stations. Used my older pair of shoes that I have done all my races in this year and my right shoe was cutting into my insole. Overall a good run, but need to work on bricks in the off season a lot more and do a lot outside.

Work on Bricks
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and waited for the results, and got some water and snacks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not tapering or taking a rest day before the race.

Event comments:

Tri in the Parks puts on a great race series. For this race they increased the number of water stations due to the heat and the volunteers at these races are always very energetic and supportive which helps out a lot. I really enjoyed doing this series and look forward to doing it agian next year. This race was my final tri for my first year and I am in love with this sport and can't wait to put together my race calander for next year and get better.

Last updated: 2007-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 656 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/501
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:06 | 13.7 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Circular course with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course with rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park

2007-08-19 6:18 PM
in reply to: #931155

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park
Solid all the way around - Your swim time looks pretty good to me!

Your thoughts about the event in the comments section is absolutely how I left feeling - Enthusiastic volunteers and all.

Nice race and good luck getting ready for next year.

c
2007-08-19 6:29 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Congrats on the race.  Looks like a strong showing!
2007-08-19 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Super race and great RR, Jeff.  I really appreciate your enthusiasm and share your thoughts, especially re: the race volunteers.  They *really* were very enthusiastic and supportive of the racers this go 'round (I think they picked up on the fact that the run course included a stop in Hades this go 'round)!  Hope you have a great off-season and an even better '08!!
2007-08-19 7:49 PM
in reply to: #931232

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Hey sounds like you had a great race. Congrats! I am impressed you already had the shoes on the bike and that you saved time in Transitions. You had great T times. And of course your run was awesome! Great race. Keep it up!
2007-08-19 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Congratulations on a great race all around.  Super job nailing the swim.  And those transitions, I'm in awe!!!!  It looks like you've gained tons of confidence through your first Tri season.  With that stellar run base you'll be setting the 2008 courses on fire!

Way to go!

2007-08-21 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Terrific job on the race.  Your transition times are good.  I'm going to practice the mount and dismount thing with the shoes over the winter.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed