Pigman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 54m 6s
Overall Rank = 429/475
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 23/26
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race I met with other BTers, Noz, mndiver, rabkaman for dinner. Everyone was super nice, excited and ready to race.

Woke up at 4, ate a powerbar, marathon snickers bar and drank a sport drink, packed up the car and drove to the race with my wife and youngest daughter.
Event warmup:

Did a short swim in the lake with Noz, who by the way was insanely fast on his swim later on that day.
Swim
  • 40m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

felt great on the swim, although I did seem to drink a bit more lake water then I normally do. I told my self it was part of my hydration plan. I did not feel out of breath at all running out of the water and into transition.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

Took my time in transition, getting my socks on, making sure I had everything on the bike. I also looked at my biking gloves and decided not to wear them for the race. At the time it seemed like an extra thing to put on and off, but we will get back to that later...

Put my gloves on.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.85 mile/hr
Comments:

This started as a great ride, I was not out of breath as I left transition, I was getting my speed up on the flats in the 21-24mph, I was taking most hills without dropping below 15mph too often. I was right on with my hydration and nutrition. Had total of 4gels, 1 powerbar, water with Nunn in a camelback, and two bottles of Power bar drink, that I kept exchanging for water/gatorade at the bottle exchange stations. By mile 35 I started to pass people that looked to me like hardcore triathletes. I reached mile 51 right on schedule just before 3hrs as I wanted. And then the one think I did not plan for during this race happened. The road surface turned a bit rough, there were cracks in the road, I saw them, most of them zig-zagged across my path and were filled in. But then my wheel caught about a 2 foot empty segment. I flew over the handlebars at 19mph, I watched the asphalt stop 2cm from my left eye as my helmet hit the road, and my body kept rolling. I was now in the opposing lane and looking at the riders coming up behind me. I jumped up, grabbed my bike and hopped to the side of the road. I noticed my aerobars were bent in two places, my left brow was bleeding, my hands were bleeding, and that my left thigh was cramping to the maximum where it the hit the pavement. I almost fell over, and told myself that this was the end of this race. Then I looked at my odometer and it said 52 miles. My GOD! 4 miles left on the bike. My wheels looked straight so I gathered myself enough to get on it again and started to bike at a turtles pace. I think those 4 miles took me 30 minutes. There was a hill at mile 55 that my thighs cramped up so bad, that I thought I was gonna fall again because I would stop and not clip out in time. I rode into transition, but I don't think anyone noticed how banged up I was.

not take a nose dive into the pavement with 4 miles to go.
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

I stood there looking at my bike, and the front of it looked messed up, I took my helmet off, it was cracked all the way through where it hit the road.
I poured water over my road rash. I put my running shoes on, my race belt, my hat. And said to myself that I will not be able to live this down if I quit here.
Run
  • 2h 46m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Everything hurt, it was hot, my legs did not want to go. I was giving myself little goals, first was the three mile mark, then I kept telling myself to run just to the next aid station. At the turn around I decided I can just walk back. Mile 8 I decided I was going to finish, mile 10 I decided that since my original goal of sub 6hr 30min was shot, I was going to at least finish sub 7hrs.

look the the "what would you do differently" under the bike segment
Post race
Warm down:

walked around in a daze, ate something, drank something

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crashing on the bike

Event comments:

I think my head is half-iron, everything else is jelly right now.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 281/475
Performance: Good
Suit: Neo Sport Sleeveless
Course: triangular, marked with well spaced out bouys
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:19:21 | 56 miles | 16.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/26
Overall: 444/475
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice country side, going through a few small towns, mostly very light traffic except for one 2-3 mile segment coming back in to Palo
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:46:22 | 13.1 miles | 12m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 415/475
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back over country road, no shade, some light cool wind, aid station with a lot to choose from exactly at every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: Pigman Triathlon - Long Course

2007-08-19 8:13 PM
in reply to: #931176

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Pigman Triathlon - Long Course
OMG! Sounds like quite a spill. I admire your will to continue despite road rash and a good looking cut above your eyebrow. Did you need stitches?
2007-08-19 8:31 PM
in reply to: #931304

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Thank you,
I just put butterfly tape on it, I don't feel like spending 3hrs in an ER tonight.
2007-08-19 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Gutsy performance, congrats and heel quickly.
2007-08-19 9:18 PM

User image

Master

So, you ran a half marathon after flying over your handlebars and landing on your face at 19 mph.

I think it's safe to say you're not a quitter. Great, great job!

2007-08-19 10:04 PM

User image

Elite
Holy carp!! I never noticed that you were bleeding when I saw you on the course.  Way to persevere, you are a dedicated man.  It was very nice meeting up with you and your family the night before.  I had a horrible run so I admire youre tenacity on a VERY tough run course.  My wife went online to the weather channel and they had the humidity at 82% for the time e were running.

2007-08-20 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
cheese sauce rice!  when i saw you on the run and you said you "crashed on the bike" i didn't catch that you did a superman off the front!  wow, way to dig deep and finish up the race!  unbelieveable!  wow, i'm in shock, wow.
2007-08-20 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Way to hang in there and finish despite crashing. How damaged is the bike?
2007-08-20 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
those snakes and gaps were nasty looking.. i wondered if anyone was going to dive into them.. it takes guts to get back up again.. I should know.. i did the same thing at LTF last year... only I hit a cement curb and flew over it.. so I know that feeling .. and I am really glad you are ok.. and that the bike was functional.. if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!!! glad to see you stick it out.. and now you have a great story to tell...

Edited by rabkaman 2007-08-20 10:26 PM
2007-08-21 5:57 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

OMG- thats awesome   Road rash is something to be proud of..... finishing  a race with road rash is even better!!

I actually was wanting to crash my bike- so I could DNF (yeah- bad day)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed