General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60'sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 1071/>1703
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 106/167
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed around 10pm; slept somewhat fitfully until 4am. Breakfast of cereal, banana, and yogurt smoothie. Left the house just before 5 and got to the park about 20 minutes later. I had to rack the bike there yesterday so that was one less thing to deal with this morning. After body marking I was checked into the transition area and was relieved to find my bike safely waiting for me where I had left it. Being racked at the end, on the aisle, was great because I was able to set up my area just to the outside where I wasn't competing for space with anyone.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Wandered around, met a few BTers, downed some gel, and then a long walk over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 27m 58s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in wave 2, starting off at 7am. The lake was colder than I remembered it from the "dress rehearsal" two weeks ago and the bottom a bit squishier. We waited a few minutes in the water before being let loose. It was quite a while before people got spread out and there was enough room to do more than breast stroke and side stroke. Since I've had basically no practice at sighting I would swim 20 or so strokes of free style and then come up and figure out where I was; mixed in a lot of side stroke and a little bit of breast stroke. Lots of bumping and getting swum into the whole way; I even got kicked in the arm and now have a toenail shaped cut there. On my way out of the water I had a little problem with walking straight, but no light headedness; across the mat at about 28 minutes. Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

Overall I was pleased with my results. Need to learn to sight and navigate, need to gain more confidence in OWS.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Even with my primo end spot I ended up "lost in transition" looking for my area down the wrong aisle. Finally got to the right place and got down to business.

everything a bit faster! Consider ditching the CamelBak
Bike
  • 1h 08m 26s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I'd done this route 6 times before so I knew exactly what it was going to throw at me. The only thing I didn't know was what the biking would feel like after swimming. Of course, my legs were tired so I spun in a lower gear than usual for a while before I was able to drop the hammer and start letting it fly. Still, I didn't want to push it too hard, hoping to leave my legs in better shape for the run. I was surprised to hit the turnaround a minute faster than my last training ride; I knew I was probably going too hard and started doing more coasting on the descents. By the last few miles my thighs were screaming and I couldn't wait to get off the bike! Across the mat in about 1:08:00 / about 15.4mph. Yes!

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Knew exactly where my area was this time. Still, took me over 3 minutes to get into the run.

everything a bit faster! Consider ditching the CamelBak, put on race belt/bottle carrier and hat while on the run.
Run
  • 37m 50s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I started this on autopilot. I'm glad my body seemed to know what needed to be done because my mind hadn't yet caught up. First water station, the cups of water are full of ice cubes. What the heck are you supposed to do with that?!? Got through the first mile in just under 10 minutes and then started into the hilliest section. I gave in and started some walking. Hit mile two in about 21 minutes. Walked most of the last hill and then tried to bring it home all running. My thighs started cramping just above the knee with about 1/2 a mile to go (same thing happened at my first tri last month) and I did one last walk to unknot them. Finally, up the last rise, around the last turn, into the home stretch. So cool to hear my name announced! Across the mat in about 38 minutes! Whew!

I'm glad I ran the course several times, both in bricks and by itself. I'd like to be at a better point in my training so that I can run the whole route, and run it at a better pace.
Post race
Warm down:

walking, massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

need to get more comfortable with OWS and be able to do much more of the swim freestyle; tired legs and cramping during the run (need to do more bricks?)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:58 | 1000 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 106/167
Overall: 1137/>1703
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri top and bottom
Course: short length to first turn buoy, long straight, then turn towards home
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:26 | 17.5 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 81/167
Overall: 777/>1703
Wind: None
Course: hilly route through rural roads and neighborhods
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:50 | 03.4 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 121/167
Overall: 1201/>1703
Performance: Average
Course: around the lake with a hilly spur, out and back, in the back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 8:23 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2007-08-19 8:58 PM
in reply to: #931328

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Nice job!!! Congrats on a good race...it sounds like it went a lot better than what you were worried about.

Kristen
2007-08-20 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

You had a great race, especially that bike leg!  You are no hill slug at all!  You eat hills for breakfast!  Congrats, Iron Girl!

Laurie

2007-08-20 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Great Job...especially on the bike....nice time!  I need to train with you to get faster up those hills!  
2007-08-20 2:30 PM

User image

Champion

Congrats on a great race.

Don't feel bad.  You weren't the only person who had a problem walking straight when they came out of the water. 

Keep your 'getting swum over' in perspective.  There was one point where 3 women were swimming all over the top of each other and there wasn't another person within 20 yards of them.  Hilarity. 

Great job overall, especiallly on the hills.

2007-08-20 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Sorry I missed you at the race. Congrats on a job well done.  I believe that your going to have to change your name.  You are not a hill slug anymore.  Great time on the bike!  Nice job Iron Girl, I'll see ya next year for sure. 

2007-08-21 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran

I agree that a new user name is in order - there just aren't any slugs that are that speedy on the bike or the runWink You had a good solid swim - we were in the same wave and it was a full contact sport almost all the way.  It seemed like the instant I found some open water some one else found the exact same spot - bummer. 

So glad I got to meet up with you.  Congrats on a great race - way to go IRON GIRL!!!

2007-08-21 9:27 AM

Hey Hillslug! Sorry I missed you at the meet-up. GREAT bike on the race - and great finish. Congrats and I hope to meet you at another. OOO
2007-08-22 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Iron Girl! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed