United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 54s
Overall Rank = ??/??
Age Group = 40 & up Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/???
Pre-race routine:

it' nice when I can sleep in till just after 5am, eat [1/2bagel with PB], take the dog out, double check everything leave just before 5:30 take the long way there and still arrive at 5:35..
Event warmup:

None talked with Brian and his brother since it was their 1st tri, saw davidb real quick.. mostly waited around for the pool stsrt,, I goofed up since I like to take a gu about 10-15 min. before the swim start but with the staggered start, I didn't think I'd time it right so I passed. we started late and I was wishing that I ate a little more for breakfast
Swim
  • 07m 43s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a bad swim, my first indoor pool one and I think i'll do my best to stick to open water starts. caught up to the guy in front of me and drafted a bit, at the wall he stopped and said to just pass him. things were going well until the 4th lap when the tape holding my fingers together came off. so my left hand had open fingers and i could tell it was slowing me down. in the very last lap there were people 4 abreast in front of me and when I look in front of them there were three more people, pointless for me to go around them, so I ended up waiting at the exit ladder for 30 sec. I put down that I'd complete it in just over 7min. so I was right on pace until the exit ladder.. passed quite a few people and didn't get passed
What would you do differently?:

not much maybe attempt to pass the throng of people in the last lap so I wouldn't have to wait for 5 people on the exit ladder. Tape my hand better so my fingers don't fly all over. say I'm faster than I am so I don't have people stopping in front of me or a big group of people that I can't pass
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

longish run once you got out of the pool and it was up a incline indoors, there were shirt, carpet samples every few feet put down so you wont' slip, but I slipped walking down to the pool so I was very leary and just quick walked while indoors and didn't start running until I was outside. Not having the fingers on my left hand hurt here.. I was able to get my race belt on but I couldn't fasten my helmut so that took me a while, with the staggered start everyone almost everyone was getting to the rack at apx the same time. did a good job of getting into my shoes that I left on the pedels, the only issue is I couldn't get my left shoe tight,, again finger mobility issue's. still this wasn't a bad time for t1. The overall winner was a 1:35 and 2&3 were slower than my time

have 5 functional fingers on my left hand,
Bike
  • 42m 44s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I ride 3/4ths of this course as my normal route to get to austin rance..so I knew that it wasn't 12 miles but nearly 13, no big deal though. I felt better when most of the people afterwards and during were complaining about the wind. this was a normal wind day i thought, or at least when I ride it.. hit 39 on the downhill's the firt lap I was getting passed by some really nice looking bike for the first 5 min. or so,, disc wheels etc. This was right about where I wanted to be avg.wise. but I think I took more effort than I should have to achieve it. Even though I practiced sliding my feet out of my shoes to dismount I forgot, So i unclipped and swung my leg over and then realized that my other foot was in the shoe.. it went ok but there was a pucker factor for a sec or two

I just need to keep riding, 6 months ago my avg was 15mph for a sprint tri. this one was 18 and i didn't push myself too hard. Since I forgot my pre-race gu, i did one as soon as I got on the bike, while I was still getting my feet in the shoes.. I should have got my shoe's on then went for the gu,, it was too much at once
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

except for my forgeting to get my feet out of my shoes. mentioned above. this was a decent t2 I wasn't rushed and had the 4th best in my group, and I know I can be better

remember to take feet out of shoes., more practice.
Run
  • 31m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

1mile was 9:30
2nd mile 10:45
3rd mile 10:08
well the first mile was a bit faster than I wanted out of t2, when I looked at my watch. plus I had about a 30 second break when my shoe came untied and I had issue's tieing my shoes with one good hand.. anyway i was running a little faster pace than I thought I was for the first mile.. the 2nd mile I eased up a bit and the last one was my normal pace, I had a side cramp during the 3rd mile for some reason, so I just slowed up a bit and keep breathing deeply until it passed

I really need to learn how to actually race.. I can run this pace for a marathon and have in the past so I should be able to convince myself that I can go faster for a 5k.. after the white rock marathon I'm going to learn how to actually run faster for the distance instead of just doing my 10/min/mile pace that I can do easily.. I need to start pushing myself
Post race
Warm down:

hung out, talked with davidb who also got some hardware and had some nice road rash on his back from a bike crash.. hopefully his elbow is ok.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not knowing how to actually race,, there is a big difference between going out and doing the distance in each disipline and actually racing each distance and combining that with the whole race

Event comments:

on the results website they listed all clydes together, but for the over 40 I placed 3rd, so I'm not sure of my overall rankd or the normal stuff, so I did actually get some hardware. the nice thing about a race with the fire & police dept, is that there are quite a few clydes,

Last updated: 2007-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:43 | 350 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/???
Overall: 0/??
Performance: Average
HR was a high of 138. avg said 98 which I 'm not buying
Suit:
Course: nice indoor pool,,50 meter lanes with a snake type swim ducking under the ropes after each length
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:44 | 12.9 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/???
checking the HR while riding,, i was usually in the 130's-145ish area
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loop course that had some extra 90 degree turns. I was nervous at a couple of intersection's since there was no one there to stop traffic, and they had the green light. luckily I didn't have to stop. some cars were ignoring the pylons and I had to ride between two cars. I don't know how those NYC messagers do that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:08 | 03.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/???
HR was constistantly around 140.. at one time it read 98 so I adjusted HR monitor then it read 240.. but every other time it was 14-144
Course: nice easy loop, no hills, running on sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2007-08-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #931382

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-19 9:27 PM

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon
Great race.  I agree with aaron.  The 2nd pool swim I did I gave a little faster time so that I was getting passed and not passing.  It made it easier at the wall.
2007-08-19 9:42 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
HEY! Great job Gary! Nice to see that you got some hardware!

Pool swims... ugh. It's hard to get around people sometimes. All you can do is what you can do... right?

Your bike was FAST! Great average out there!

Run was solid too!

Overall, terrifc job!
2007-08-21 9:12 AM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congrats on finishing this tri! Sorry to hear about the fall during T1 (that's how I understood it). I can not imagine myself racing in the pool with other people. OWS with all the space seems crowded enough! Also: how do you turn around?
2007-08-21 4:34 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job Gaarryy and congrats on the hardware. I would second the track workouts. My HIM BT plan has me doing 800 intervals once a week. Here is an article http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html

2007-08-21 10:35 PM

New user

Congrats on the hardware! daveb had introduced us right before the race.  I have to say that I tried on a practice ride to dismount from my bike like you were talking about and had pretty much the exact same experience....saved myself from the crash....but...just....barely! Thanks for the comments on my race log. It was a great race for a first timer like me. I had a blast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed