General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 04m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

PBJ and coffee for breakfast with a bottle of water... drive to race site...

Stand around indoors try to decide whether or not we want to do this race. It was raining like a MUTHA out there and it just didn't seem worth it. It was cold and windy, and the sun wasn't up and it just seemed extraordinarily sucky.

I was wearing a garbage bag, shivering, and discussing what to do with my timing chip when we took off for breakfast...
Event warmup:

Take off garbage bag, listen for updates regarding race. No time for any official warm up.

Race ended up going off about 35-40 minutes late, when the weather sort of broke. The rain stopped!
Swim
  • 26m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew this was going well as it was happening... even though I didn't have my watch working. I didn't wear my HRM because I HONEST TO GOD didn't think we were going to end up racing, so I left it in the bottom of my bag, which became water logged... and I was in such a hurry to set up transition, I didn't go fishing through my bag to find it.

At any rate, I ***THOUGHT*** I pressed the button to "start" but apparently I either didn't press it enough or hard enough or something, because I heard a "BEEP" as I was swimming, and there was no data displayed on my watch when I got out of the water. The swim FELT good, as best I could tell. (2 minutes off last year! YAY!)

There was NO SUN to glare in my eyes, so sighting was a breeze. Also I (((HEART))) my Socket Rockets. I am going to order another pair, as the ones I've got are all scratched up.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I don't look at my watch while I'm swimming anyway, so I suppose whether or not my watch is working is a rather minor detail.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I lost some time here because I **TRIED** to put on a light jacket for the bike ride. I got it on, zipped it up, and the zipper came undone from the bottom up. I tried to fix it, but ended up pulling the jacket up over my head and helmet and just tossing it aside. That stupid conundrum took some time.

I don't know. I thought I needed a jacket... but I clearly did not. I wasn't going to stay dry, and once I started pedaling, I started to get warm. So... I dunno.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, so my plan here was NOT TO FALL. This race was an ADD-ON to my season and I didn't want to splat myself on the concrete due to carelessness or recklessness... we ALL KNOW how much I WANT to be able to run the marathon in October... ;)

Anyway, so I held back... alot.

Here's a stupid mistake... ready for this? I took my Bento Box, and everything inside it... extra gels, etc etc... off my bike before we drove it up on Saturday. I never re-attached it. UGH. No gel for the bike ride. In fact, no readily accessible gel for the entire freaking race. The gels I did have were stuffed inside my bag, which was stuffed inside a PLASTIC bag, keeping dry. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

So, here I am... cruising along on the bike trying to figure out how I can get adequate calories for a bike/run combo. Decided I'd chug all my Heed.

Drank a large 24 oz bottle of Heed... and drank 2/3 of a 16 oz bottle of Heed. I'll have you know this was MORE fluid than I had on the entire Racine bike course! I was worried about not having enough calories, and I knew Heed contained Maltodextrin, so that's got to be good for something, right?

And I figured the water would keep me hydrated.

A gel in my pocket or someplace. Not be so willy nilly and rushed in setting my stuff up. Part of that couldn't be helped because of the race conditions this morning. The other part of that is my Type-B+ personality. I think I'm not quite Type-A enough to be a really successful triathlete. ;)
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

So I got my bike racked, and got my shoes on... and by now the aforementioned HEED had made it's way to my bladder and MAN! I had to PEE! So, unlike the woman next to me, I didn't squat in transition and pee right there next to my bike, but rather I went to a porta pottie. Peed there... started feeling the rumblings of some oddball gastrointestinal stuff... hung out a little while longer... and finally got myself onto the run.

Not take ALL my nutrition in LIQUID form.
Run
  • 1h 12m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

This was alright. I walked way more than I wanted to, but when I was running, I felt like I had good form going and I felt relatively fast. But those running bursts did not last long. My hips, lower back, knees, ankles and all other body connections just HURT. They start to HURT. It's not muscular pain... it's definitely joint pain.

I feel like such a wuss when I walk, but sometimes I just CAN'T run another step. It hurts. But if I walk for a couple of seconds... take big walking strides and stretch things out a tiny bit, I'm good to go for another burst. Need to extend the bursts of running... and somehow minimize the walking.

This "run" included a porta potty break of no less than 4 minutes for gastroinestinal distress... and it also included, like I said, LOTS of walking. :(

I'm thinking I must eliminate coffee from my pre race routine and from my long runs. I think it's the coffee that's doing this to my "system". I didn't have any coffee before Racine, and I didn't have these problems there either.I think it starts to have an effect about 2 hours in, because I don't have problems when I do a 10K with coffee before hand.

We'll see what a coffee moratorium does for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around...see Dumpster, Kelly, maggyruth, Hangloose, Schmize, some of my other friends that I used to ride with, and gnaw on half a bagel. I also took Kelly's banana right out of her hand. (She didn't look like she wanted it, so I offered it eat it for her...)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More run training. I need to have PATIENCE and slowly harden myself for more running. I *so* want to be faster. I *will* do the work... I just don't want to get hurt in the process. So if it takes longer for me, due to my propensity to be sore, my pre-maturely arthritic joints, and whatever else makes me unique, then that's got to be OK. I'll have killer swim and bike splits and get passed in the run for another season or two. I just need to know it's possible, it can happen, and it's coming... 10 minute miles over the course of the 10K would make me much more competitive. Then, the runners I beat out of the water and on the bike would have a hard time running me down with a good lead.

A temporary inconvenience toward a future improvement.

Remind me of this when I start to whine about how slow I am.

Event comments:

Suck-o-rama conditions. Would have been a heck of alot more fun if it would have been a wee bit less wet and cold outside.

Maggyruth was industrious enough to make us TEAM TERRI temp tattoos! We raced today in honor of BunnyRunner! Unfortunately, I couldn't get my tattoo to stick...but the intent was the same, and hopefully it churned up alot of good MOJO for Terri.

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR longjohn wetsuit
Course: A triangular course. Out, turn, swim diagonally, turn again and then turn one last time in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:12 | 24.85 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: A very nice course. I don't remember much of it. Parts went up and down on ramps and up and down Frontage Roads. Saw Dumpster at one point, it looked like he saw me, but I can't be certain!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:20 | 06.21 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Around and back and around and back and winding around...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 10:23 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2007-08-19 10:46 PM
in reply to: #931478

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

Whizzzzzz...

Nice adjustment when you realized you didn't have any gels. 40 oz on the bike...a lot in an Oly, that is pretty typical for me.

Difficult conditions with the unknown if it was on or off...but way to step up and be hard core and go race!

Nice splits...run well we all have our thing to work on...don't be hard on yourself about the running...you had surgery when? Patience I know your running will continue to improve!

Great race~ 

2007-08-20 7:39 AM

User image

, North Carolina
You did awesome out there today in spite of that dreary weather.  My theory on the run ... it's like the last ride at the amusement park and we just want to make it last as long as we can!  Great race.  Congratulations!
2007-08-20 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Nice work!  Way to go with the flow..sometimes you have to come up with a plan on the fly, and you did!  Keep running!    Thanks for supporting TEAM TERRI!!!
2007-08-20 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
It WAS kind of a mess trying to get it together with the whole, "Will we race? Will we not?" situation. Great job out there Whizzzz. I would do just about anything to even come close to your swim and bike splits.

And hey, when you stick around to race with me in the rain, you can definitely have my banana as a reward at the end.
2007-08-20 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Whiizzzzz...I, too, am discouraged by the run. I haven't been able to run because of my plantar fasciitis stuff, my best 5K ever was 25 minutes, but that was after training hard, and not after a bike, so my run will never be speedy. But 10 minute miles would be nice. I plan on working on that this winter, also; the other part of my problem is my lack of weight loss, even though I am training all of the time, it seems.

So discouraging - I have trained and trained, and come in 515 out of 545, and then, people who haven't trained at all, blow by me. I am thinking it's sucky genetics.

Anyway, didn't mean to whine, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. Great job on the bike and the swim!! You got 2 out of 3 in good shape, just think of that!!!

Congrats!

2007-08-20 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Good job on the swim and bike. Do you take any type of joint pills, glucosamine is what I take for the joints.
2007-08-20 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Wow, sounds like it was a challenging day!  Congrats on sticking with it.  We got lucky racing in Iowa with no rain until afterwards.  Nice job!
2007-08-20 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
great job working through all the challenges. Racing in the rain sucks. Good job being resourceful with the nutrition issues. Good job not peeing in transition (there is something just not right about that.)
2007-08-20 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Good Job, great race.  Always great to see you out there.  The weather was horrible and you endured it.  Keep on smiling!

2007-08-20 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Way to stick it out, Whizzzzz! Sorry I missed seeing you this time, but as you know it was a bit of clusterf*** out there with the weather. Smokin swim, too!

2007-08-20 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Great race report. Plenty of lessons to learn from it.

Your times are still fantastic despite the food problems. Racing in the cold and wet is good for the soul - honest.

2007-08-20 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

My sister from another mister . . . our race times could be twins this season!!!

Great job on the swim and bike. Holding back on the bike sucks, huh? But we gotta have some juice leftover for that lovely run at the end If anyone understands your running woes, it's me!! You'll get there. You're doing all the right things!

2007-08-20 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

(SCTCPP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
SCTCPP.jpg (35KB - 40 downloads)
2007-08-20 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Nice race! As usual, smokin' swim and bike times! And you WILL get there on the run.

So there was atually some lady squatting in transition?!? That is nutso! On the bike is one thing, but jeesh!
2007-08-21 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Nice race!  I wish I could "hold back" on the bike and be that fast.   

2007-08-21 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Ditto what Laura said about the bike ...   Great race!  The run will come.  But then something else will look like it needs improvement.  Such is the nature of triathlon, no?

2007-08-21 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Sorry I did not see you out there at all.

I good news if I do not think you caught me on the bike. .

I was runnign late myself and I thought ok if I can just through my stuff in transition get out my wetsuit and go I will worry about organization later. I am glad the race got delayed and I think it ended being the best time of the day to have the race.

I do not blame you for the jacket. getting onto the bike after the swim was really cold. Even I was freezing and if it started to rain it would been nice to have some protection from it.
2007-08-21 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Hey Lady! Awesome job, really. So close to breaking 3 hours with porta-potties and walking. *bowing in reverence* Your run is really improving, too!
2007-08-21 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Well done.  BTW, nice to meet you, before the race, even if it was only for a few minutes. 

2007-08-21 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

congratulations! i've yet to do an oly distance, so i'm impressed! 

triathlons keep you honest since you have 3 things that factor into your race... and hey, didn't meatloaf say, 2 outta 3 ain't bad? you'll have a good run because you are willing to work for it, like you said.

great job. it must've been hard during that whole "will we race or not" portion...

2007-08-22 2:41 PM
in reply to: #931671

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Q - 2007-08-20 7:45 AM Nice work!  Way to go with the flow..sometimes you have to come up with a plan on the fly, and you did!  Keep running!    Thanks for supporting TEAM TERRI!!!

Yeah, I was sporting Team Terri on one shoulder and the Deanna tatt on the other.  It was fun.

The running will come - your marathon training will help.  I'm starting to feel the effects of mine.  I love it.  See you in October!

2007-09-02 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

DANG...26 and change swim....I wannna be you.  I'm so glad you guys were there, because if other BTers wouldn't have done it, I would have bagged it and gone back to bed.  Something to be said for peer pressure

And hey, us Type-B+'s have to stick together.

2007-09-02 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Great job sticking it out, Honey!   Now, did the Transition-Pee'r actually drop trou? 
2007-09-03 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

LOL!!!  It was the blonde race of the season...everone has one!!!  And that chick really took a...wait...peed in transition?  WTF?  You should have just pushed her over. Das' nasty.

Glad you did the race, though...nothing like sticking it out and getting a good result!!  And congrats on taking a couple minutes off the swim from last year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  

of 1