General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual Lewis and Clark sprint triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

4th Annual Lewis and Clark sprint triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chamberlain, South Dakota
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 52s
Overall Rank = 13/80
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

We rolled into town Thursday night after a few days in Wisconsin. Set up camp and tried to avoid the mosquitos! Rode the bike course and ran the run course on Friday, had a B-day party for my little girl and then went to packet pickup. There they also had a pasta dinner and speaker Frank Farrar - multi time Ironman and self proclaimed (and documented) slowest in the world when he finished Kona in 16:59:01 a couple of years. It was great to hear some of his story. We went back to camp, went through and got my numbers and transition bag together, and then settled in and rested that night. Woke up at 6:00, made some oatmeal and grabbed my stuff and headed over to transition. Set up transition and got marked.
Event warmup:

Did a 5 minute jog and hit the bathroom, then went for another 10 minutes with a couple of strides in there. Got back and went out for a 20 minute ride to run through the gears etc. Saw at the bank where it was 63. Felt chilly while riding so I parked the bike and headed back to the camp site to get the wet suit, just to give me the option. Came back to transition, ran into some folks I met the night before and then met SFBIGGESTLOSER in the transition area. After that I headed to the water. Did a short swim and I figured I would go without the suit, but at least I had it available. Listened to the pre race instructions and then watched the teams go off.
Swim
  • 07m 6s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was a run in from the beach, all the men in one wave about 5 minutes after the teams. Sort of went in the middle of the wave and stayed to the left as it appeared the current was going left to right. It didn't really appear to affect things. Had a draft for a short bit but then he went to breast stroke, so I went around on the left. I played around with doing 20 strokes of build and then 20 smooth, couldn't keep a pattern with that though. I stayed wide and most of the folks were to the left. I came around the buoy awkwardly wide. I tried to follow a couple of folks but then went left and I wanted to stay closer to the return dividing line. There was another individual near me to the right that we kept pace together, no drafting though. I hit the beach at 6:3# and was very happy because I was expecting 8:30. I ran up the beach and hit the T1 at 7:06.
What would you do differently?:

Stay closer to the line and draft better. Maybe swim the whole course in warmup to give me a better idea of the distance when the swims are this short.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

This was again very disjointed. I struggled rinsing off my feet and getting my socks on. Finally I just slowed down and focused on each task and things went better. This was slower than it should have been without having a wet suit to deal with.

Be smooth and steady, not rush. Have a better concept for rinsing the feet.
Bike
  • 37m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off out of transition and wasn't settled into the ride yet, a couple of people went by me in the first 1/3 of a mile. As I got settled, rolled by one of them and then as the climb started going by a number of people, some folks were really struggling with it ( I think they were on teams), I repassed the other one who passed me during this time. Got to the top of the climb and headed east. I was moving quicker and easier then Friday's pre-ride. I figured out that the wind was more out of the south east than strictly out of the east. I worked to keep my HR in zone 4 and not go higher on the way out. I passed several more people during this part, then I started looking for the leader to figure out how far behind I was. I passed him shortly after I went by the 5 mile marker. I then saw a lot more people between there and the turnaround than I had hoped for after the swim I had. I hit the turn around in about 28 minutes and didn't pass anyone on the way back in. Saw Ben (on of the folks I met at dinner) a little behind me then Scott and Eldon, then saw Josh (check out his report for a story in determination and perseverance - SFBIGGESTLOSER). I got passed on the way back by a guy who was riding strong (he ended up with the fastest bike split in my age group). It woke me up a little as I had let my HR dip into low zone 3. Turned the corner and was going down the big hill and it was a monster cross wind. Felt like I was riding at a 65-70 degree angle to keep upright. The road turned a little and could relax and go a bit harder. Hit 43.3 somewhere in this stretch.

Stay focused. I probably could have pushed harder, and should have a bit, but was trying to stay below LT.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I am not sure why this took so long. It was a small transition area and I really didn't have a lot to do. Seems like I am going through the motions and not really focused. At least the motions are making progress.

Focus
Run
  • 22m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out on the run pretty close to the guy who passed me on the bike. He started off strong. I caught up to him and spoke for a bit and ran with him for a while and then I got settled in or he slowed down, I don't know which. Looking ahead, there was no one I believed I could catch so I just tried to run a steady tempo. This run was work. I made it to the turnaround grabbed a drink and a cup to dump over my head. HR was right at LT. Came back and saw the folks behind me gaining on me. Ben was making up ground, he had cut the deficit in half about then I saw another guy I met in transition running strong. I just kept plugging away, I couldn't pick it up any. Last week in the heat and humidity, I could run with a HR in the low 180's for a couple of miles (7 beats over LT), today I couldn't do it. I settled back and just pushed what I could. I heard someone coming up on me and thought it was Ben - I was asking myself could I push myself to run with him to the finish and out kick him? He is built like a runner - well anyway, it turns out to be the guy who was running so strong. We had about 3/4 of a mile left and I tried to run with him for about 10 strides but couldn't do it - at least I didn't believe I could make it to the finish without walking at that rate so I backed off. I did the cardinal sin and looked back. I saw Ben back and figured okay, stay steady to the corner and be ready to kick if needed. He didn't seem to close as quick as I thought, I made the corner to the campground and edged the pace up a little but I had nothing to push. As I rounded and that the final stretch to the line, I lifted the pace some more just to ensure I broke the next minute barrier. I felt flat, like I didn't have any top end to give but I also had my splits messed up at the turnaround. I was moving quicker than I realized and maybe I just metered it out better over the whole course instead of having a lot left for the last 1/2 mile to mile. Turns out that this was an "outdoor" PR for a 5k for me (or at least anything since High School - don't think I want to put in the work to ever actually PR a 5k I would have to run sub 18)

Yesterday I was thinking about several things I would do differently. Today I can't remember any of them
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family, cheered on some other folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time this week, lack of quality sleep the last week, excess pounds from time with family. WIND,

Event comments:

Fun race, best pre-race stuff I have experienced. Director was very outgoing. Had door prizes afterwards and made sure everyone from out of state got something (we got a $25 gas card which came in handy and made the race itself only cost $5.00)

Last updated: 2007-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:06 | 437 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 26/80
Performance: Average
Well, they claim it was a 1/4 mile, but that might be including the beach run at the start and the run up to transition. The swim itself measured out at 300 yds when I used the map portion available on this site.
Suit: none
Course: Out and back cross current
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:04 | 12 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 10/80
Performance: Average
Tried to keep HR in zone 3 and 4. Was fairly successful sometimes went a little high and then on the way back with the wind got a little lazy.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back course that leaves transition and then has a 300 foot climb in the first mile and a half.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 15/80
Performance: Good
I did keep the HR up in zone 4 for most of this run. Out in 11:27 (with the wind some), back in 11:03
Course: Out and back on sidewalks, bike paths, roads and bridges.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 11:10 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: 4th Annual Lewis and Clark sprint triathlon

2007-08-20 10:56 AM
in reply to: #931503

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: 4th Annual Lewis and Clark sprint triathlon
You, my friend, are a rockstar! It was a pleasure meeting you at the race and hope you get to stop through again next year!

josh
2007-08-20 12:29 PM

South Dakota
Silver member
I posted on Josh's race report that I was sorry that I didn't get to meet the two of you at the Lewis and Clark tri. I'm glad that you enjoyed your race in South Dakota and hope that you come back again. Congratulations on your performance!
2007-08-20 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Wow that was a smoking run.

Congrats on a great race.

2007-08-20 1:35 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
great race Scott!  great results!  ...way to get the most out of your "vacation"
2007-08-21 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
Great race good job!

2007-08-22 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Great race--smoking run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual Lewis and Clark sprint triathlon Rss Feed