General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Book: beIRONfit (Don Fink) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-14 5:43 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: Good Book: beIRONfit (Don Fink)
I got this book the other day, and it is quite useful and informing. I bring this up b/c I usually see comments regarding TTB and GL as the *only* books geared for long distance traiing.

Chapter 2 -- Good time management strategies. I might take the 21-day challenge.

Chapter 3 -- The essential workouts. Not gonna list which ones he says you can't miss or fail to include.

Chapter 4 -- The Training Cycle. Nothing revolutionary. A few different concepts: surprising the body, and the 3-week taper (I usually only see 2-week in most programs). Good "secrets" by Jan Wanklyn in this chapter.

Chapter 5 -- Gradual adaptation -- what it is and how to use it. Similar to Jack Daniel's description.

Chapter 6 -- Effective Heart Rate Training -- nothing new. Just what you need to know about setting it up and using it.

Chapter 7 -- 30-Week Ironfit Traiing Programs -- 3 of em -- [1] competitive (12h/wk avr; 20 h/wk max) ***most popular of the three, [2] Intermediate (10.5h/wk avr, 15 h/wk max), and [3] Just Finish (7 h/wk avr; 10 h/wk max). Week-by-week, workout-by-workout. Great for newbies (like me) that could use some help in the week-by-week build-up design in each stage (base, build, peak).

Chapter 8 -- flexibility & strength -- includes a strength training program (pretty good one) and a long and short stretching program (I need one).

Chapter 9 -- Preparing with training races -- importance of and how-to include marathons, centuries, and races as part of your IM build-up. Useful stuff.

Chapter 10 -- Technique -- Pretty good info for how abbreviated it is.

Chapter 11 -- Mastering Transition -- guess what this chapter is about?

Chapter 12 -- Equipment tips -- what to use when at a race, how to bike fit, how to buy running shoes, choosing a bike, etc.

Chapter 13 -- Race and Pre-Race Strategies -- Includes a "Just Finish" strategy which is sure to impress the "13-hour cutoff crew".

Chapter 14 -- mental training -- positive thinking and iron will.

Chapter 15 -- effective goal setting and race selection -- has descriptions of IM and non-IM long distance races (pros and cons of each).

Chapter 16 --Maintaining good health -- big section on ART.

Chapter 17 -- recovery, maintenance, training, and beyond --

-----------------------------

Chapters without descriptions or very brief have been skimmed or contain the "standard-issue" information that seems to prevail in most books (i.e., TTB, Going Long, etc)

Pretty good book for $11. I'll get a lot of use out of the 30-week programs. Lots of ideas on how to set it up, examples of workouts, workout sequence, etc.

2004-10-14 5:46 PM
in reply to: #72495

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Good Book: beIRONfit (Don Fink)

Oddly enough, I ordered two things from Amazon one day, "Be Iron Fit" and the Spinnerval DVD "Mental Toughness".  Don Fink authored the first and starred in the second.

2004-10-14 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
YEAH! Totally agree that its a fantastic book! Gonna follow the training plan, maybe with a few modifications to compensate for weaknesses and limiters. I highly recommend this book! =)
2004-10-14 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Thanks for the info.  I had heard about this book, but hadn't commited to getting it yet.  Now I have.  it looks like a good read and a good training tool!
2004-10-18 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm heading to the Carribean for a week in November, and ordered two books to take with me, this one and also "Going Long". Nothing beats getting motivated, while getting a tan in November! Training for next season starts December 1......
2004-10-29 12:49 PM

User image

Ames, Iowa
I just read this book as well. Don Fink's discussion of how to develop an Ironman training program seems to make a great deal of sense to me. It is also clearly written, unlike some of the other books on the subject I have read recently. (I teach writing so I might be a tad hypercritical in this area.)

But as someone who is new to triathloning from a marathoning background, his long run and ride times, even in the peak period, seem somewhat short to me, even in the competitive 30-week program. For example, I normally do two or three runs in the three hour range when building up to a marathon, which at my age, 53, take me 20-23 miles. On the other hand, I understand that there is probably some endurance gain in all three disciplines from the cross training.

Has anyone successfully used Frink's 30-week program or some adaptation of it? If so, I would be interested in your opinion of it.

Thanks.

2004-10-29 4:21 PM
in reply to: #77237

Expert
NC Illinois
I am currently using his program (30-week competitive). I am "cycling" the early base periods to make them longer. For example, I'll do weeks 3,4,5 and 6, and then repeat them and do 3,4,5 and 6 weeks again. Then, 7,8,9, and 10, then 7,8,9, and 10, and again. Then I plan to do the last 20 weeks as 20 weeks. The base periods weren't that much different that what I would normally do in a week, so I just adopted his weekly workouts.

1. It gives me structure and I don't have to come up with my own stuff.

2. I get used to the routine, but cycling the weeks gives some variety.

3. The way they are arranged,I can do one workout in the AM, one in the PM.

4. Repeating the weeks gives me a chance to monitor improvement at comparable effort levels.

5. Whether this works or not we'll see.
2004-10-29 11:25 PM
in reply to: #77237

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
I am also following the program, but changing certain workouts to address my limiters and strengths. Swim and bike endurance are my major limiters as compared to running. But I think I have a slightly better base than the first week's workout. So I'm increasing the bike times as compared to the book. And I'm trying to swim more than the pre-scribed.

Also, what I notice is that the book has 30min increases in bike times every 2 weeks. I find that alittle too much and changed it such that its a 10% increase each week for my longest ride and I still am able to get my longest ride to be around 6.5-7 hrs before my IM race.

hope this helps.
2004-10-30 6:56 PM

User image

Ames, Iowa
Thanks for the suggestions! I am signed up for the 2005 Ironman Wisconsin, assuming I can improve my biking endurance considerably. But I have the winter to work on that.
2004-11-01 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
FYI.

IM Wisconsin closed to general entry in a record 13 hours. Now the only way to get in is:

1. if you're a full time student

2. if you pay $1,000.

3. if you win a spot at a "qualifying" race
2004-11-02 9:18 AM

User image

Ames, Iowa
I was amazed at how fast IM Wisconsin filled up. In fact, I would have been closed out, except that I happened to look at the web site later on the first day when there were only about 300 slots open. Anyway, the $425 entry fee is incentive enough to work on my cycling this winter.

I have great advice for IM Wisconsin, as several students from the Iowa State University Triathlon Club competed this year, all finishing in the top 400, one finishing 68th overall. (He would have finished higher had he not run over some tacks thrown on the cycling course and blown both tires. Some kind spectator gave him the wheels from his bike so he could finish.) I would be interested in anyone's advice on doing IM Wisconsin.

2004-11-03 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
I just finished reading this book and have to say that I enjoyed it the most out of all that I have read.  Believe me, I have read quite a lot of them from the Training Bible, to Going Long, to Triathlete Magazine's Complete Triathlon book.  My plan now is to use the 30-week Competitive program.  My IM is not till next November (52 weeks), but I plan to back up the training plan from the week that it says to do a OLY (week 18?) which starts me off on December 20th.  My plan is to do the Memphis in May OLY in mid-May.  Then after the OLY, take a reduced/rest week then pick up at week 18 and recycle some of those weeks up to the Half-IM week in the book (week 21?).  MY scheduled HIM is June 26th.  After the Half-IM, I will take another rest/recovery week before starting the IM countdown.  If I then start at week 12 in the book, I can go week by week through week 30 and my scheduled IM Florida.  This should also give my body a bit of rest after the HIM, before ramping back up for the IM.

Edited by Cavu9 2004-11-03 9:24 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Book: beIRONfit (Don Fink) Rss Feed