General Discussion Race Reports! » Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aberfeldy, Scotland
United Kingdom
Perth & Kinross Leisure
14C / 57F
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 31m 51s
Overall Rank = 81/104
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 29/35
Pre-race routine:

Drove up with all the family the night before to stay at Cul Dees with loads of other Stirling Tri guys. On the drive up we were listening to Radio 2 and the DJ read out a request "Good luck to all the Stirling Triathletes at the Aberfeldy Half Iron Man this weekend, especially my mum and Dad, David and Zoe from Rebecca". How big was my smile.
Swim
  • 37m 48s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim to the first bouy had some minor swimming on top of people, but after the first turn everything was fine. My right goggle was filled with water so I was trying to sight with my weaker left eye. No problems though, I managed to find my way to all the turns ok, even the almost invisible black banana boat that was used for one of the turns.
The swim is absolutely gorgeous, you would struggle to find a better setting than in Loch Tay with the surrounding mountains.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Felt like I took ages but I guess the time is not to bad. No real problems other than dropping my banana.
Bike
  • 3h 42m 22s
  • 55.92 miles
  • 15.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The majority of the first 8 miles is climbing. Pretty tough start, I didn't feel like I had any rhythm going until we got to the flattish cirle Loch Ranoch. By then the majority of fast cyclist had passed me so I started to feel less rubbish.
Just about exactly on the half way mark my bike made some very strange noises, I stopped to see what was wrong but all looked ok. Started again and the noise disappeared. A little while later my pump started to slip from its holder and foul my front cogs (this had probably been the noise), I was able to pull the pump up as I cycled but this was an on going problem for the remainder of the day.
Finally climbed back out the valley and headed for home. This is a tough cycle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

This event has a split transition which really messes with your head beforehand. T2 was great though. Someone collects your bike from you and another helper passes you your t2 bag.
Run
  • 2h 08m 8s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The run basically follows the River Tay down to Grand Tully at which point you double back on yourself. As a result it is a gentle downhill for the first half and gentle uphill for the second. I felt great for the first half but started to die on the second half. The last 5 miles seemed to take forever. Through sheer bloody mindedness I kept going and managed to keep running all the way.
Post race
Warm down:

I found a seat in the leisure Centre and sat down. Pretty soon afterwards I felt like my lips were fizzing, then my fingers, then my whole body. Apart from the fizzing everything felt fine, then after about 30 mins I was still fizzing away and my vision was going from my right eye.
I drank some sweet tea and had a flapjack, eventually headed off for a shower and my body returned to normal. I spoke to one of the coaches the next day and he reckoned I had burned up all my sugar reserves and that I should have eaten more on the run.

Event comments:

Fantastic event. If you have the chance to do this race then take it. The scenery is fantastic, the marshals are fabulous. Its a small event with less than 200 competitors but the organisation is first class.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:48 | 1900 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 25/104
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 12F / -11C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:42:22 | 55.92 miles | 15.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/35
Overall: 91/104
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:08 | 13.05 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/35
Overall: 81/104
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon

2007-08-20 11:03 PM
in reply to: #931673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon
Congratulations Half Ironman Dave!!!!
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the experience.

How cool that you got a pre-race message!
2007-08-21 5:57 AM

This was my second half ironman and 7th triathlon. I finished in 5 hours 27 mins but i think anyone who reaches the finish line deserves a medal
2007-08-21 6:22 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hey! Congratulations and NICE WORK! Looks like you had crappy conditions too, huh? Is it raining EVERYWHERE in the world these days??

Very interesting description about feeling like you're fizzing all over... Hmmmmm... How did you do with your hydration? Dehydration is the root of all evil.

Great transitions! Awesome swim and bike and RUN! The whole thing looks pretty ding dong good if you ask me.

So what's NEXT on your sked???

And how do you feel TODAY!??!??

SPURTLE POWER! Laughing

2007-08-21 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha

Fantastic Job! Jealous I am! (Wow sound like Yoda there) Your swim was awsome. Can't wait to join you in 09 if you are there. I can tie a rope to your bike and get a tow!

Edited by paul walker 2007-08-21 6:49 AM
2007-08-22 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Thanks for the congrats everyone, it is much appreciated.

The season looks to be pretty much over now, I have a 10k next month but that's it. Hopefully my wife will do all of this race next year (she did the swim and the bike this year as part of a team - times were approx 50min and 3h55). The ultimate goal would be for us both to go IM, I guess in a couple of years time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed