United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 39/276
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

The race was supposed to start at 7:30am. I woke up at 5:30, got dressed, ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Then I waited on my daughter to get ready to go.
Event warmup:

At 7:10 we started our warm-up. Jen & I ran around the block a couple of times and then stretched. At 7:30 we were ready to race. Then they announced that the race wouldn't be starting on time because of the number of people still in line to get there race packets! So 20 minutes later when we actually started the race we were no longer warmed up.
Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My pace was not what I was hoping for. No where near a PR. It was probably due to a combination of not being properly warmed up and the heat. I won't blame the hills because my last 5k PR was on a course just as hilly.

This was the 1st time this race was held. They were a bit disorganized at the start. They were overwhelmed with the number of people that turned out for this race. Fayetteville doesn't normally draw such large crowds for its races. But overall it was a good race.
What would you do differently?:

I have been marathon base training and tri training lately. I have really let my speed training slack off lately. I need to do more speed training.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around drinking water and waited at the finish line for Jen. She did not have a good run - the hills really got to her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of speed training lately.

Last updated: 2007-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 39/276
Performance: Average
Course: The course was downtown Fayetteville. We went up Hay Street and down through the neighborhood to the Greek church. Then turned around and went back (out and back course). It was a very hilly course. It was basically 2 big hills - the entire course was going up a hill or down a hill - there were no flats.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?