Kando Adventures
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 54m
Overall Rank = 6/106
Age Group = SOLO
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Pre race started the night before as we were issued maps and a few CPs to plot. I figure this is how they worked sleep deprevation into the equation. Got them all plotted and went ahead and plotted my strategy for the water portion complete with compass headings and distances so that once I got into the kayak I didn't need my map just my home made que card.
Then turned in and got 4 hours sleep.
Got up in time to get a nice breakfast, down 3 cups of coffee and two warm Red Bulls. Had stashed the bike and kayak gear the night before so I wasn't in such a rush when I got to the site. Was relieved to find all my gear in the woods where I left it.
Event warmup:

Had a safety briefing and the RD decided to shorten the race by 1 hour due to the high heat indices forecast. That was a wise choice. We then had a short prologue of 5 CPs which covered about 3 miles and served to stretch out the boat start. It worked well. I found all 5 points and quickly remembered thumbnail navigation and the importance of keeping your map oriented.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Old age and gravity.

Event comments:

This thing was a hoot and I will definitely do more of these. They're like triathlons with ADD. I got a lot of inspiration from some of the teams and met some nice folks who also happen to be triathletes. If you get a chance to do a KANDO race in the CSRA please give it a try. The RD is a great guy and puts on a good race.
Be advised that these aren't conducted like triathlons. They don't go off exactly on time and the rules are a little lax. There is virtually no support, hence the importance of the team. There were folks hurt and crippled by the heat during this race and their teams got them to safety. There are no drink tables or cheering jockstraps. If you need it you carry it.
I think I can learn to like a sport where you only have to swim if you capsize.

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: Western Carolina Adventure Race

2007-08-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #931917

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: Western Carolina Adventure Race
Well I don't know what happened to my race report but this is all that transferred. Sorry but the race sure was fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Western Carolina Adventure Race Rss Feed