General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Finest City Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

America's Finest City Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Neil Finn Sports Management, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = 4375/6463
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 379/549
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am (ouch) and had an early breakfast.
Event warmup:

Gentle stretching, and some light jogging.
Run
  • 2h 26m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I ran a good race the 1st 10 miles. I was averaging about 9:30 to 9:50 pace most of the way. As usual, I was really running out of steam by the time I hit the 10 mile point.

I walked a little bit right at 10 miles (I told my self I wouldn't, but somehow I did...).

I got myself going again, but definitely was going slower. I hung in there and ran (if you can call it that) up all the incline/hills to the finish, but was somewhat hurting.

I ran hard the last stretch across the bridge and through the park, but it doesn't make up for the longer slow stretch I had.

Finished with a big push and was very tired right after the race.
What would you do differently?:

I should have had a bigger breakfast (more fuel). The bowl of oatmeal and handfull of pecans, just didn't cut it.

I didn't take any salt tabs. I'm a big sweater, but I didn't think it would be so warm that early in the day by the coast. I was wrong. It was around 85 at the finish. I was borderline cramping at mile 12 (left calf), and had a variety of areas wanting to cramp after the race.

I felt pretty run down at the end (ha-ha).

I probably should have tried to get more than 5 hours of sleep the night before, but I still felt pretty fresh at the start of the race. I don't know if it slowed me down, but I felt drained after 10 miles.

My long training runs the month before the race were 10, 11, 14, and 10 miles. I thought that would do the trick, but I keep faltering in the 10-13 mile range. I think my long runs should have all been around 3 miles longer...

Post race
Warm down:

Stayed on my feet for about 10 minutes. Then found some shade and sat down and stretched. Got plenty of fluids, and found some ice to rub on my neck (that was awesome).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I was lighter, I would be dangerous out there !!!!!! :)

My training was decent, but I should have gone for slightly longer runs, to be able to get through the last 3 miles in better shape.

My only gripe about the race was there was HUGE delay for water at the 6.5 mile aid station. My fluid plan had me drinking one large bottle in the 1st half of the race and 1 in the second. I couldn't leave the aid station without my refill. It took forever to get about half a bottle of water. They just didn't have enough volunteers/water to meet the need).

One of the other aid stations at the bottom of 6th (big hill before finish) had no water at all (you don't discover this until you waded through the mob also trying to get water - only to be disappointed).

There were alot of great volunteers on the course (thanks to all of you ! ) but this water shortage was a bummer.

Event comments:

I wasn't as fast as I had hoped, but it was still a great day. I spent some time before the race admiring the view from the top of Pt Loma (overlooks San Diego harbor). I had some prayer time and just thanked God for my being able to be out there. It has been a difficult year, and was the 1st race since my surgery in June (bladder cancer).

All in all, it was a very good day.

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:35 | 13.1 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 379/549
Overall: 4375/6463
Performance: Average
I thought my time was 2:22, based on my watch time. I forgot that I had the autopause function on. The stoppage from the different aid stations rally added up. I was amazed the there was about a 4 minute difference and am fussing ovet that this morning....bummer.
Course: Rollers for the 1st 2 miles (more uphill than down) along Pt. Loma, then 2 miles of downhill towards the harbor, 6 miles along the harbor (very pretty), 1 miles of downtown, and 2 miles of the uphill climb to Balboa Park and finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 11:51 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: America's Finest City Half Marathon

2007-08-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #932334

User image

Arizona
Subject: RE: America's Finest City Half Marathon
85 degrees.....that must have been nice (we are reaching our 20 + days of over 100 degress)

Nice job on this run, training and recovering from the surgery. That really is a bummer, having no/little water at the stations.
2007-08-20 3:30 PM

Nice job at the race. it was crazy hot for sure out there & that hill at the end was a killer!
2007-08-20 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Glad to hear you are back racing! Sorry to hear they ran out of water.

The time up at Point Loma was real neat. Did you see the submarine coming into bay while waiting for the start??
2007-08-21 5:00 PM
in reply to: #933606

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rjl171 - 2007-08-20 8:55 PM Glad to hear you are back racing! Sorry to hear they ran out of water. The time up at Point Loma was real neat. Did you see the submarine coming into bay while waiting for the start??

I missed the submarine, but enjoyed the view in general !

How many races do you get to see submarines, clipper ships, aircraft carriers,  and cargo aircraft, while running along a beautiful coastline, harbor and park area ??

Even with the heat and fluid shortages, it was still a great day!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Finest City Half Marathon Rss Feed