General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triath Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triath - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman, New York
United States
NY Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m
Overall Rank = 100/268
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/34
Pre-race routine:

slept till 5:45. Got a bagel and a cup o joe, left some for the family and took the 15 min ride to Harriman. Love the local race.

Just happy to be toeing the line again this season. Thot it ended on June 1 w/ the crash.
Event warmup:

Yesterday's 13.1 miles and handing over $80 cash for a sprint (hate the local race)!
Swim
  • 15m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started up front, on the right just for the hell of it. Went out a little fast, had to go to breathing every right stroke to catch my breath. Otherwise felt pretty good. Bumped into a few people just to practice for IMLP. Settled into my pace, shoulder was never an issue. Happy w/ this swim given that I swam 4 times all summer.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Seems nervousness is in distant past.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

For some reason they don't time transitions separately. No problem w/ the wetsuit. Got out pretty quickly. HR was too high though.
Bike
  • 56m 25s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was high coming out. Counterclockwise from Sebago means we head right up the 1/2 mile climb at the start of Lake Welch Drive. My legs let me know from the get go they were feeling yesterday's long run. Managed O.K. Then got it going on the rollers leading to Welch. Enjoyed the downhill until a couple of knuckleheads passed me going into the u-turn. Typical NY'ers! Hate the local race. Mentally flipped them the bird. Typical NY'er. Passed and got passed on the climb up Tiarati. Not much I could do. I just didn't have the legs. Kept a group in sight though. Then, at the top I gave it all I had. Passed most of them on the little swails. At the Tiarati Circle I put down the hammer, as it were. This is where course familiarity really helps me. The 909's really make a difference. On 7 Lakes Drive I passed many. I love the sound of that disc at 25+, even more as I fly by people.Even felt pretty good on the last incline back to Sebago. I saw my time wasn't going to be as I hoped but that was unrealistic given my run volume this week. So I prepared for the flying disomount w/ a huge smile on my face. Think I took a few of volunteers by surprise with that.
What would you do differently?:

maybe not run 13 miles the day before.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Feet out. flying dismount went well. Quick getting in and out.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Never really felt comfortable. I haven't done any bricks and my legs just didn't come around. Got passed by many. At some point I just kinda gave in. Realizing it was more of "happy to be back day" than a race. I didn't want to risk aggravating my calf so I just stayed w/ my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted w/ a women I met at the start, grabbed a couple of red bulls and bolted. Made it home in time to have bagles w/ the family. I love a local race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, a broken clavicle and 5 broken ribs 2 months ago sure didn't help. Running 13 miles the day beofre also isn't the normal taper.

I'm actually thrilled just be back at it again. Sprints really aren't my thing anymore. But Harriman is just too convenient to pass up, I haven't raced since May and the Zipps had to get a test run in race conditions so I'm glad I did it.

Event comments:

NYTC finally has gone to the champion chip. How about a couple of extra mats to time transitions?!?!?! Still, they run a nice , effecient low key race. Even w/ SBR here yesterday and the ever popular West Point today they still managed 400+ (including the DU). Just a great way to practice the SW/Bike/Run. All in all a fun morning up at Harriman. My love/hate the relationship w/ this place continues.

Last updated: 2007-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:55 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/268
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:25 | 16 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Counterclockwise loop around Harriman.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:41 | 03 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Relatively flat out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 12:01 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triath

2007-08-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #932357

User image

Subject: RE: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triathlon
Great way to get back into it after your injury! Glad you decided to do it and just enjoy yourself!
2007-08-20 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Good RR. Its good to see that you are back racing after the crash. Wish I could have raced with you but you know how it is.

Keep truckin, 330 something days til IMLP.
2007-08-20 10:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Being back at it rocks!!

To recover and race, have fun and be part of a tri is so cool. Your accident was after mine and my first race is Sunday...should be interesting.

Congrats...life is really looking good 

2007-08-21 9:17 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great job getting back at it Mark!

Really nice to have a local race like that.  Too bad it has to be filled with typical NY'ers. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triath Rss Feed