General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prescription goggles... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-20 1:31 PM

Alabama
Subject: Prescription goggles...
Well, my very first triathlon is this weekend in Sandestin. It has been a very humbling eexperience getting ready for this and I already can't wait for the next one. Probably because I know this one is just to finish. And then from there on out, I can focus on improving.

But anyway, I wear glasses and I purchased a pair of prescrition goggles a couple of months ago. They have been great for training and I have been very happy with them. The were an absolute necessity if I were to make them back to the beach, I am blind as a bat! Is there anybody else that wears them? I was wondering what you did up to the race? How long normally does it take between waves to get everybody off the beach?

I figured I would have my regular glasses stashed somewhere secure at T1 and would wear them out of the water all the way to T1. Does that sound about right?

Brooks

2007-08-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: #932600

Regular
Subject: RE: Prescription goggles...
i have very bad eyes as well and use prescription goggles when i train and race.

the one thing that i did was leave my glasses in my bike helmet at t1, and just wore my goggles from the run out of the water to the bike rack.

the other option is to see if someone will hand you your glasses as your getting out of the water.

good luck
2007-08-20 2:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I have bad eyesight and have astigmatism.  Everything is "fuzzy" when I don't wear glasses, but I haven't had the extra cash and time yet to get my eyes re-checked (it's been over 2 years) and get prescription goggles.

I just work it through the best I can, but when I get out of the water I have my prescription sunglasses in my helmet or transition bag.

It sucks not having 20/20.

Shaggy - 2007-08-20 1:31 PM Well, my very first triathlon is this weekend in Sandestin. It has been a very humbling eexperience getting ready for this and I already can't wait for the next one. Probably because I know this one is just to finish. And then from there on out, I can focus on improving. But anyway, I wear glasses and I purchased a pair of prescrition goggles a couple of months ago. They have been great for training and I have been very happy with them. The were an absolute necessity if I were to make them back to the beach, I am blind as a bat! Is there anybody else that wears them? I was wondering what you did up to the race? How long normally does it take between waves to get everybody off the beach? I figured I would have my regular glasses stashed somewhere secure at T1 and would wear them out of the water all the way to T1. Does that sound about right? Brooks

2007-08-20 4:45 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
two of my masters swimmers wear them, and they said they made life so much easier!
2007-08-20 5:36 PM

New user
I also have terrible vision. I don't have prescription goggles, technically, but I just started wearing off-the-rack goggles with vision correction lenses. Speedo makes them, and they come in increments of -7, -7.5, -8 and so on, just like contact lenses do. They don't correct my vision completely, but they at least allow me to get from the pool to the chair where my towel is. They were a gift, so I'm not sure how expensive they were, but they really are wonderful.

I had the same question about transitioning, though. I kind of figured I'd wear the goggles from the water to the transition area (Is it usually very far? I hadn't really thought about that... just training for my first race!) and then... put my contacts in? Or something?
2007-08-20 5:40 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
I use custom prescription barracudas and also have a pair of lane 4 off the shelf prescription goggles.  i also just keep my glasses in my helmet at my bike and just keep my goggles on from the swim to my bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prescription goggles... Rss Feed