General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Total Time = 2h 23m 54s
Overall Rank = 1127/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 257/
Pre-race routine:

Susan and I met up with Brenda at packet pick-up on Sat. It was so great to see her again:) We got Susan and I set and then headed out to get our bikes racked. I had a primo spot, by the bike entrance. After getting the bikes racked, Susan and I went to drive the course. Wow, I was completely intimidated...I think thats when my head started hurting. I ended up with a whopper of a headache (I'm sure it was stress) but after meds and food I was good.

Set the alarm for VERY early, 4:25. I had woken on my own around 4:10 and dozed until the alarm went off. Met Susan in the lobby. We decided to eat when we got to the race, since we left so early. I sipped ice water all morning and after setting up in transition had a peanut butter sandwich.
Event warmup:

No warm-up, just walking around with Susan, trying to work out my jitters. It didn't really work. I was so tired and just wanted to sleep, my mind was going a hundred mph. My stomach was churning and I was just a mess inside. Just as my wave was supposed to go out I burst into tears. Some people need to poop before a race, I need to cry...after my little cry I was fine! Thanks for the hug Susan!
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before I start, let me say, I know I'm slow and I'm cool with it, so as I talk about the race, all the good things are about how I felt physically, not about speed;)

This was a great swim for me. I'm a desert-rat and not a strong swimmer at all. My last two open water swims I ended up backstroking, so I was determined to freestyle this one. For me that meant being on the far right where I wasn't getting knocked and bumped. (I tend to be cluastrophobic and crowded swimming is very cluastrophobic!) This swim I wasn't so caught up in worrying about other people and saying "sorry" everytime I bumped into someone. I just swam, albeit very slowly (some from the wave behind me passed me), but I was determined to stay relaxed and focused and "just keep swimming". I never panicked (a first for me) and felt great. In fact so great, that as I swam I was thinking about what I would say in my race report about the swim:) Maybe I should have been trying to go faster??? Anyway, I came out of the water feeling very strong and ran from the water through transition to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

This time nothing, next time focus on being faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Was very pleased with this time, I was pretty much in and out. I did open and stuff shot bloks in my pocket, should have had them ready to go.

had the shot blocks open and ready
Bike
  • 1h 10m 47s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 14.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, I was so worried about this ride; especially after we drove it. I was sure I'd end up puking at the end and being miserable through the whole thing. But I didn't and I wasn't. I loved this ride! Who would've guessed? It was hard, really hard, but I felt strong and powered through it. I maxed out on one downhill at 35 and going up I bottomed out at 6.3. Was it hard? Yea! Did I feel empowered at the end? Hell Yea!!! The women in this race were phenomenal, I was so impressed and encouraged by every single one from the speed demons to the ones who had to wlk the hills. They were strong, amazing women....

One aside, I used shot bloks this time and loved them, but I felt a little like Napolean Dynamite. I just stuffed a bunch in my pocket and munced them on the ride. Kinda like Napolean with his "tots" :)

More training in Williamsburg
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

OK about this, in and out (the advantage of not yet having clip-ins:) ) I did start running without my race belt and had to go back for it, dumb, dumb, dumb. It could have been less than a minute, oh well

Remember race belt!!!!!!!
Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Very, very slow at the beginning, but got stronger as I continued on. I felt like a snail, but was determined not to walk and I didn't, although I probably looked like I was walking;) I promise, only one foot was on the ground at a time:) Never made is any faster than slow.

I did have a weird experience though. There was a women out doing her normal Sunday run toward the end of the course and she started talking to me, telling me how inspiring we all were. Well she started saying, "you are nearly to the end, come on I 'll run you in" I was trying to stay away and just run, but she kept saying "run with me!" I was so nervous that a USAT official would show up and say she was pacing, finally I told her that and ran in, but it was so strange!

Train better, I'd like to be faster.
Post race
Warm down:

After coming through and getting my medal, headed over to see Susan come in, I knew she was only a few minutes behind me. It was great seeing her come in. After that we looked for Brenda and met her family. Bud had just done his own tri and it was fun to see his face light up when I asked about it:) Anyway, had some food and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Next year I'll train more and better, especially on the hills in Williamsburg...Yes Susan I wan to do it again:)

The other thing is that I need to hydrate better. I only drank about a 3rd of one bottle on my ride and that was it. I suspect the leg cramps on my run were a result of that.

Event comments:

This race was run incredibly well, I was more than impressed.

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1094 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:47 | 17.5 miles | 14.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: hills, hills and more hills!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:39 | 03.3 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2007-08-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: #932774

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
You are very welcome and thanks for letting me pull you into this fantastic race.  It just wouldn't have been the same without my best friend(who talked me into this craziness) to share it with. You did a fantastic job on the swim and I'm very proud of your riding!!
2007-08-20 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Looks like you had a great race. Also you are not the only one who needs to train more on the hills. Great job.
2007-08-20 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to go!!!!  Look at you on the swim!!!  I am so glad it went smoothly for you.  You had a great ride and run too!!!  An all around great effort on your part.

So glad we got to spend a bit of time together at this one.  So, what are we doing together next year???

2007-08-20 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm thinking we need to do another girls race.  Lets make it a tradition of doing one girls race together every summer....waddya think??
2007-08-21 6:34 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Congrats! It sounds like you had a great race, not to mention all the extra inspiration you got just from being at an event like that! Looks like we'll have to do some club hill rides :-)

2007-08-21 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
you should totally be impressed with yourself!  i am!  great race!
2007-08-21 9:25 AM

So sorry I missed you at the meet-up - but, great race! You should be proud. Hope to catch you at another one. OOO
2007-08-21 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great race report!  I have those claustrophobia issues on the swim too.  My daughter got a picture of me on the first leg where I was out all by myself -- I think I was too close to shore because I wanted so much to stay out of the flailing arms and legs! 

Iron Girls rock! 

Laurie

2007-08-21 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Strong work!  I am so proud of you!  You have accomplished so many great things this year- I can't wait to see the rest!
2007-08-21 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

i'm inspired by the way you handled the swim, you just kept on... great job!

congratulations on a great race on a challenging course...

2007-08-21 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race KLynne!!! You did an awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed