wolfboro rec
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 30s
Overall Rank = 87/154
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

tent camp night the before 10 minutes from race sight. race started at 9 so there was plenty of time to get going. Grabbed some sort of b-fast at 7-11. juice, banana and pop-tart--yum yum!
Event warmup:

YIKES!! yes, event warm up was the KEY phrase! Wind blowing about 30 plus off the water made for summer windchill! Look at the whitecaps on the lake is a great way to get psyched out for the swim. Cappy came to the race. What a surprise!!! Happy to see his smilin; face!
Swim
  • 11m 41s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

waded out for a bit. Finally got enough depth to dive in. Wasnt really that bad swimming in the waves once I got under them. Just had to turn head back to breath a bit more than usual. Also had to dodge some folks who got off course and were coming up the return leg. Weird to run headlong into swim waves.
What would you do differently?:

swim more. but hey, I was out of the water in 10 min which is a 20 min. 1/2 mile time and that is typical for me even if I did swim alot.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no transition times. The transistion area was set up literally yards from the swim exit so a fast transistion was possible. I did futz around trying to figure out if I wanted to wear socks or not and whether to wear a jacket since it was windy. Didnt do either. Tried the 'feet on shoes' thing. Shouldnt have done that since I havent practiced it this year and also because...DUH...the bike leg starts out right into an uphill!! Extremely tough to slide feet into shoes going uphill!

put shoes on before.
Bike
  • 58m 24s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Typical Hilly New Hampshire terrain! Some gnarly hills to tear down and to grind up. Beautiful views of Lake Winnepasauke and area. stopped breifly to try and offer help to a guy with a flat. He wanted to run the last mile or so in bike shoes I guess since he didnt take the offer. On the final hill, I was blasting down the hill, tucked tight in the drops, riding a line, probably close to 40 mph, when I hit a bump in the road and flatted! Luckily there was only a 1/4 mile to go to the finish so I kept the bike in control and rode the flat in. Kinda sketchy, guess that was one of my 9 lives.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick change out. Shoe off, helmet off, socks on, shoes on. Transistion right on the road so VERY quick. Isis almost ran me down in T-2!!! She was flying in. HeHeHe...but I was ahead of her!!!
Run
  • 35m 25s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Phew!!! Less than 25 yds from the start of the run is a MOTHER of a hill!! I mean CRAZY!! 115 ft in less than a 1/2 mile! (check out the elevation graph on my log) Walk or run...all the same speed. Then down hill and then back up a hill again. Crazy head wind off the lake at the 1/2 way point and then back into some crazy hills. Saw cappy cheering!! What a great guy!! Spied Isis on the out and back. She looked strong, but I was still ahead of her!! heehee.....

felt the run was better than expected for the course. Just survive the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a couple layers QUICK! Dang wind was blowing in, stronger now. Sand blowing all over the place. Cheer Isis in for the finish. Strong finish girl!

Cheered on Isis grabbing 2nd place!!! in AG! Another podium spot!! yeehaaaa!!

Chatted with Cappy about this and that then onto a wonderful lunch 'lakeside' at the Isis camp with Cappy and Isis. She has a sweet place right on the lake. Cool to chill and chat with these 2 great BT peeps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hills. and wind. Even with that, I feel the race was a challenge that I was up to. (got to get front derailler adjusted before cranberry though, it didnt shift crisply0

Event comments:

Great local race. Roads were open to traffic but there wasnt too much to deal with. Terrain offered a great challenge. Small town flairs.

Last updated: 2007-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:41 | 440 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/154
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: out into the wind and waves and back, shortened due to water conditions from 3/4 mile to 1/4.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:24 | 15 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Typical Hilly New Hampshire terrain! Some gnarly hills to tear down and to grind up. Beautiful views of Lake Winnepasauke and area. Single Loop course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:25 | 04.2 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Phew!!! Less than 25 yds from the start of the run is a MOTHER of a hill!! I mean CRAZY!! 115 ft in less than a 1/2 mile! (check out the elevation graph on my log) Walk or run...all the same speed. Then down hill and then back up a hill again. Crazy head wind off the lake at the 1/2 way point and then back into some crazy hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes