Pirahna Sports
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 18s
Overall Rank = 140/296
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

1 1/2 hour drive to the event. Just normal set up once I got there.
Event warmup:

5 minutes of light running. On the way up, 1 red bull and a Power Bar. 10 minutes pre-race, Hammer gel pack.
Swim
  • 15m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Time by race chip was higher, but that included the run (or stumble in my case) back to transition and the chip mat.
This was my first mass start, and it actually went pretty well. Started in the back, finished front of the middle of the pack. Very happy overall with the swim, except for the guy who tried to grab my foot by the tape on the broken toe, that may have been my only kick of the whole swim. Had a pretty good feel for the water and got into the groove fairly quickly.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swims. The few open water swims were force multipliers. Worth 100 pool swims. There is no practice to get the feeling of the wetsuit, not being able to see past your elbow, the jostling of the group start, having to go around people, having to sight to the horizon, and having to taste the swill you swim in.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I have to learn how to start with the shoes already on the bike. Running in bike shoes with a raised HR from the swim, not so great.
Bike
  • 57m 44s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to convert to Cliff Shot Blocks for fuel on the bike. I liked them, but didn't go so well with all the air and pool water I had gulped during the swim. Maybe the gel packets go down a bit easier.
20 MPH is really good for me. I gave it what I had. But, I got passed a lot on the bike Some people averaged 25 +, it was a relly fast course. I need to get more time in the saddle. Maybe some LSD rides, like once a month. I also need a bike fit to get more aero and more powerful.

I also need to find something a little easier to put down than Gatorade. I'll give Hammer a try this weekend. Gatorade was sickly, sweet. I drank because I knew I had to, not because I wanted to.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Legs really wobbly those first few steps in my bike shoes, a combo of really tired legs and the bike shoes themselves. I need to learn to pedal on top of the shoes at the end.
Run
  • 22m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Gave this all I had, and was really pleasantly suprised. Went out a little fast, and my HR went up too high. Had to slow a bit for the 2nd mile to get the HR in line. Sprinted the last mile, about 6:30. This was the best run I've ever put out, even pre-ACL surgery.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop and catch my breath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics.

Event comments:

Great to see so many from the Annapolis Tri Club there. Saw 6 or 8 others with the ATC racing jerseys. Even though we didn't know each other, we all had something to say on the course to each other. Pretty cool.
Great race. Other than the bike, not much I can do better right now.

Last updated: 2007-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:43 | 880 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 87/296
Performance: Good
169 average HR
Suit: desoto t1 with vest top
Course: rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:44 | 19.5 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Overall: 145/296
Performance: Average
170 average, much higher than I train at.
Wind: None
Course: Very flat, very fast. No hills at all. I actually coasted a few times as if there were hills, just for the rest. My calves were cramping a bit.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 178/296
Performance: Good
178 avergae, high of 191. Very high.
Course: Out and back, first grass, then pavement, with a little train run in between.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: Lums Pond Triathlon

2007-08-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #933353

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: RE: Lums Pond Triathlon

What a great race!  It seems like each leg was better than the last.  Regarding the run, all I can say is wow.  All of you training is definately paying off. 

2007-08-22 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Killer race! I agree with the OWS - just a totally different animal. Great, great job.
2007-08-22 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Wowweeee!  Way to go.  I've been sort of busy with company and hadn't gotten a chance to check out your results until today.  I'm really impressed, especially with your run.  Great job and have a nice, well-deserved recovery.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lums Pond Triathlon Rss Feed