General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
The Kelowna Apple Triathlon Society
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 07m 57s
Overall Rank = 241/271
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 26/31
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Kelowna the 2 days before to visit family and went for a little ride around the bike course the day before. Dropped off the bike at transition for overnight storage. I was glad they had good security!
Got up at 4:45am, made oatmeal and toast w/pb and a banana. I had packed up everything the night before so just put all in the truck and we headed out the door. Hmmm, it's raining after yesterdays' hot weather. No worries about whether wetsuit legal now, YAY!!!
Arrived at race site, grabbed my bag and went to set up transition, after walking 1/2 way there, realized I'd let the air out of my tires the day before so back to truck for pump. Now I'm ready! EZ setup this time and met some guys in my AG, the all looked a LOT more fit than me but a nice bunch of guys. Stood in line at the pp and struggled into my wetsuit. LOTS of Bodyglide this time but wet body into tight wetsuit was real fun. Lots of laughs though watching everyone else too.
Event warmup:

Walked down to beach and watched a couple of waves go, I think there were 6 altogether. Went for a little swim and then time to line up. This was beach start, I've never done a run into water and splash around start before so hung towards the back. I was freezing in the rain and my blue skin was a nice compliment to my green hat.
Swim
  • 37m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start reminded me of that Clif Bar video on YouTube where theh horn goes off and the guy's friends are hitting him the the swim noodles. Lots of contact! I took in a big breath of water in the 1st 200 meters and it took a while to get my breath and composure back. Got into my rhythm though and felt pretty good. Staggered out of water after 1st lap and jogged around buoys and back into water. Ran in this time and kind of dove. Part way through the 2nd lap, the hounds (mens 25-30) were released behind us and they caught me right away. Talk about contact!, talk about washing machine!!! I was kicked and hit and ducked and they went flying by. Fun to watch but not all that fun to be in. One guy grabbed my ankle for his "catch" and his next grab was my shoulder and he went right over the top of me. I'm glad I'm not in THAT division!
Rest of swim went fine, the last stretch is right along the sidewalk and I could hear people cheering even underwater, it was really cool. Saw Heather as I got out and ran to T1
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little closer to the front of my group. I made some naviagation errors and swam farther than I should have but overall was pretty happy.
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

This was a slow time but a lot of it was taken up running up the sidewalk to transition area. I remembered my bodyglide this time and my wetsuit came right off. I also rolled up my socks and they went on well too. This was pretty good for me. Everything was wet from the rain though, it hadn't stopped yet.

Not much, practice I guess.
Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the 1st race I've ever done in the rain. 2 sets of railroad tracks but they were covered. A good little hill about 1.5 mi into the course got the HR way up each time and it got harder every time around. I picked up lots of road dirt on the bike and me and had to adjust my shifts a lot to keep things from rubbing. Lots of corners and puddles, it was a fun course, lot of people to cheer and going by the start/finish area, it was all fenced off with CROWDS! I saw H each time by and it was nice to hear someone cheering for me too. Each lap was a little slower but I was comfortable in the wet and had no problems. I did hear that a few people crashed though going over sidewalk paint.

Not much, I rode about as well as I'd hoped here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

It went ok, my feet were soaked so a little tough to put into running shoes but I was in and out about as expected.

not much here.
Run
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the run. It was still raining so staying cool was no problem and I carried some gel in a flask on my belt, used it every 15 mins or so. Gatorade on course, I walked all the aid stations to drink but ran everything else. Passed a few people but a lot more passed me. I stayed well within my own pace and it went pretty well. It's a big time finish, a LOUD announcer and big crowds.

not much, felt pretty good. This was a better time that I was expecting, probably due to the rain and cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a Powerbar Recovery shake, they were handing them out, how could I say no? Besides, I really like them!
Stood in line for a very very nice massage but froze while in line. Met Vancityj, from BT, he came over and said hi. Recognized my Teamblaze jersey and he had on this wild crazy jersey, it was great! After massage, watched the Pros go flying by, went and picked up my bike and stuff. I can't believe what a mess I made out of my transition area!

Event comments:

This was probably the most professionally run race I've ever been in. Partly because of the ITU race and mostly because of the work by the organizing committe and the volunteers, they were the best! Kelowna gets the National Championships next yest and I'm hoping to come back again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/271
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Power Glide sleeveless
Course: 750 meter triangular, 2 laps, up on beach and run around buoys then back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:00 | 24.85 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Overall: 207/271
Wind: Little
Course: 4 lap circuit of about 6 mi. One good hill and some rolling through neighborhoods and some nice gentle long downhills to catch my breath. Lots of turns but I was glad I had my tri bike.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:23 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 0/271
Course: 2 laps LOTs of turns and doublebacks, flat on road and sidewalk and boardwalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 10:27 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-08-20 10:49 PM
in reply to: #933582

User image

Subject: RE: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job!  It was an awful day (definitely not what we all expected!).. but you made it through with a smile on your face.  Awesome!
2007-08-21 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Great job, BB!  Sounds like you had a good race despite the rain!  Great bike time on a twisty course.  The run course sounds..um.. interesting with all the turns and doublebacks, but probably always a lot to see.  And nice swim - way to survive the 'hounds!' 

I like the pic - you look happy to be done!  Where are the action shots?

Edited by c_cic 2007-08-21 7:31 AM
2007-08-21 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Great job out there, it definitely wasn't an easy day! That heat that was behind you that swam over you (M25-29).....that's what I get to deal with every time!!! I agree that the weather makes the bike a little slower/harder but the run a lot easier cause you don't have to worry about overheating.

It was good meeting you, maybe we'll meet up there again next year?
2007-08-21 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Good RR mason, too bad about the weather.  Sucks to be in the rain.  Glad to hear you made it through the race without any mishaps.  Too bad about being crawled over, that is hard to believe.  Glad you had fun and finished with a smile!
2007-08-23 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

Great job! I am glad you did better that expected. I guess all “troika” finally disappeared. Glad to see that your T1 was good. Maybe I’ll do this race with you next year…?

2007-08-23 6:48 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed