Georgia Multisports
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 30s
Overall Rank = 29/128
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Left home around 5am. Went straight to the packet pickup and then setup my transition area. A large coffee and 1/2 a snickers energy bar about 30 minutes before the start. I actually spoke with several guys before the race, which is rare as most of the time all you get is a cold shoulder.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little then jogged down to the swim start and back to the transition area to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 08m 36s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim felt pretty good, although I caught myself pushing a little too hard in the beginning. Anytime the national anthem is played, I get a little emotional. Especially since this was the "Vet's" triathlon. I wish more events would take this on as standard practice.

This was the first swim that I crawled over two people on two separate occurrences. I just completely swam over one guy doing the breaststroke, and another was treading water to catch his breath. I appologized to each and kept going, felt kind of bad though.
What would you do differently?:

Unless I dedicate more training to my swim skills, I can expect similar results every time. I ran up the hill after we exited the water, so I dont know what else I could do with this leg of the event. I exited the water around 7min30sec, so the extra 1 min was runtime.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

This was a straightforward T1, no surprises. Had a little trouble finding my rack, but not enough to cause any delays. I rode this bike leg without a shirt, so this saved some time in transition.

Mark the isle side of my rack. Everytime I set up I tell myself that I will remember which rack I am in. I even counted racks, but still ran one past it. Easy enough to fix....
Bike
  • 36m 48s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 22.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed really hard on this one.....only I made a very stupid mistake. I filled my bottle with Powerade but didn't dilute it with water. Powerade by itself is too strong for me to drink "straight" at high effort levels. I usually cut it with water, but somehow thought I would be OK with the as-is concoction when I was setting up. Yeah right, after mile 7 I "vurped" some of it back up. Couldn't really hydrate too well after this happened. In spite of my stupidity, I felt strong on the bike and passed several people.

Train with water, race with water. Pretty simple but somehow so difficult...
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

This was the worst part of my race. I felt really strong entering T2. Found my rack and ripped my helmet off. Bike shoes came off easily, then trouble hit. I placed my socks on top of my shoes when I setup. I leave them partially turned inside out so I can get half of my foot into them and pull them the rest of the way on. When I arrived during the race, only one sock was remaining where I left them. So there I stood with one sock on looking dumbfounded at my other shoe (where the sock was perched earlier). So I think, "I can just do without socks as its only a 5k". I ripped the one sock off my foot and put my right shoe on without a sock. No way did that feel good, so I had to take the shoe off and dig out an extra sock from my bag. Once I got both socks and shoes on, I was actually mumbling to myself, "this is bad...this is bad." Great motivation eh?

It turned out to cost me about 26 seconds extra compared to other T2s in the past.

1)Tuck socks into shoes, dont just lay them on top of the shoes.
2)Wear socks during bike leg of the race
3)Pack a baseball bat in my T2 bag so I can whoop whoever unintentionally scatters my gear.

Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

This just plain hurt. I think I was underhydrated coming off the bike, plus my mental state was shot after a poor T2. I knew this was going to be a struggle and it was. My left calf muscle was still tight from last week and I had to really slow things down to pull it together. I knew that if I could segment the remaining 3miles into small goals I would make it in a reasonable time. Run slow for 25 steps then slowly pick the pace up, trying all the while to maintain cadence.

This was definately a challenge and I started to feel great after mile 2. With about .5 miles left, this kid was trying hard to root us on. But he said something like," you need to be the tip of the spear thrusting through the competition.......so you may be the handle right now, but you are still part of the spear." The guy behind me just chuckled. What a dorky/insulting thing to say to a couple of age groupers in obvious pain. Oh well, he was still out there volunteering which is better than the alternative for a kid his age.

I finished with a solid sprint/kick for the last .25miles.

Hydrate and not try a race in a new pair of shoes. Oh, and add bricks to my workouts....common sense prevails once again.
Post race
Warm down:

1)Tried not to puke on the girl who was handing out medals (seriously)
2)Walked down to the lake and tried to cool off while stretching
3)Drank copious amounts of water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration....gotta be smarter than trying to drink something I knew would be a problem. Losing 26 seconds in T2 really put me in a funk at the start of the run. Really came close to my goal of 1:10, and improved my time by 30 seconds from last year. I guess it could have been a 1min improvement without the T2 incident, but still a solid effort. Even with that I would have had to take another 2minutes off my time to place in my AG which was my "stretch" goal.

I had fun and pushed myself....what else is there (besides placing)?

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race and the people who attend. Every year it seems that I meet friendly folks at random.

I wonder if they will add an Olympic distance next year? It would be a good course for one....

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:36 | 400 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 39/128
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course with right turns. Starting westward then finishing eastbound (sun in the eyes). I highly recommend using tinted goggles on this course, they helped me the past 2 years here.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:48 | 13.6 miles | 22.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 31/128
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Pretty dag-on flat compared to training routes. I know of two people that flatted on this course, so it wasn't just me thinking that the pavement was rough. I hit a couple of potholes and thought that I would surely have a slow leak from a pinched tube.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:23:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 38/128
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as last year, out across and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

2007-08-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #933774

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Triathlon
I had a similar problem with the guys around me messing up my area. They wanted more room so they slid my bike down about four feet. I was able to clean up the yard sale before the race started, but it was annoying. The upside is, you had a lot of obstacles to overcome and you still finished pretty high.

Doug
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Triathlon Rss Feed