General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
The Kelowna Apple Triathlon Society
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 36m 2s
Overall Rank = 57/179
Age Group = 2529
Age Group Rank = 13/31
Pre-race routine:

I woke up too early a few times, I think that the nerves were really getting to me. But the alarm went off and I ate my snack, a bannana and some nuts. I then went to put in my contacts and woke up my sister. I threw on my clothes and we were out the door.

On our way to the course, mom had to start at 7:10 and we had to start at 8:10 so we had a lot of time. We parked the car and made out way into transition. Liz's number got mixed up so the spot next to mine which was supposed to be hers was empty, so I had a big spot. I set up my area and plotted my run in looking for trees and land marks. Good to go I went to the body marking.

There were huge lines for body marking, I went up to my mom to give her the pump, and some lady walked down the lines asking for people in my numbr range. And so I got marked immediately. Good times. Callum and I went back to the car for a bitty, and then I got restless so I walked back outt o the beach in time to see my mom take off on the swim. She had a great swim, she's always so relaxed.

Getting into my wetsuit I met jonathon, VanCityJ. He had the guts to ask me if I was me. I was pretty impressed. We chatted for a bit, but my head was so cloudy and in my race so we parted to get ready. I listened to my two pump up songs on my I-pod. Kissed Callum goodbuy and ate my gel on the way to the check in. I was the first person there. And I chose my spot on the carpet. On the inside of the bouy side, in the middle ish. I really wanted to seed higher again this time, as that worked out better than last time

So all the girls lined up, there was the sweetest girl in just a bathing suit beside me. A very good energy about her. So she kept me happy for about 2 minutes until the start. I looked back and saw Liz in the third row of swimmers. and then we were 30seconds to go.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 24m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

So At the 5 seconds to go, my muscles were shaking with nervousness. I was keenly aware that I had never used the pair of goggles that i had on my head. Keith at NSA had recomended them, and although he a reliable source, I probably should have tried those out. MEH. So anyway, 5-4-3-2 *oh crap, oh Crap* 1 (airhorn)

Run run run, Is it deep enough to dive? run, DIVE. SWIM SWIM SWIM, GO GO GO. Don't let her get beside me, go go go. Oh wow, first bouy, oh wow, If I don't slow down I'm going to die.

Then I focused on getting some feet, It took me until the next bouy to find this girl who was AMAZING, she was faster than me by a lot, and I stayed about 2 feet back from her, she was great at navigating, although she did take the corners a bit wide. So I stayed with her until the end of the first lap. Coming up to the 1/2 point, two other girls were looking to get on her feet. I was very protective. Something I learned in Hawaii and in bike racing. That sometimes you can take a draft if you just don't move and the other person moves in front of you. But all four of us were swimming super fast together into the run bouy.

I meant to get a split for the swim, but I didnt. As I was running back into the water after rounding the bouy, I felt my timing chip slip off, I stopped to get it and put it back on. After that I Lost the girl. I spent some time looking for another draft, and instead I just focused on navigating the bouys and getting really close to them. I thought I saw Liz in front of me so I burned a few more 100 meters just to make sure I wasn't way off. But I cranked out the last bit of the swim. I swam into the shore as far as I could. stood up and ran for the timing mat. I looked at my watch, 24.55. And I started it at 30seconds before the race. I was amazed. I've never swum that fast before.
What would you do differently?:

leave my timing chip and stay with that girl that was so fast.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

it was a bit of a run into T1 from the water. I got my helmet on and my suit off at the same time. For the first time. and I got into my shoes pretty fast and I heard some volunteers yell that I needed my number so I put that on too.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 36s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.75 km/hr
Comments:

Getting out onto the bike I felt pretty good. I don't really remember the first while, or the first time up the big hill. I know I passed a few people and I was in my easiest gear quickly. I kept up my cadence as per my ride with jen, I stood a little and that was that. The rest of the first lap is a bit of a blurr to me.

The second lap I focused on being smooth with my pedals and I felt really strong still, I had to resist the urge to push harder and harder.

The third lap I was supposed to focus on pushing over the top, I wasn't so great at that but it felt ok. I passed my mom on a corner. There was one corner especially where there was a cross walk and the corner was wet an mostly paint. I took care to ride on the sections without paint. So passed Mom at that corner and she looked happy. It was good.

I tried to also re-accelerate after the corners and pedal through a lot of the corners that i knew I could. Thanks to Dave who talked me through that at a crit once.

I felt very confident on the bike and the last lap I was happy to let it all go and hammer it out. I was breathing really hard at the top of the hills but recovering quickly. All in all a great great ride.

I ate one gel on the ride ont he second lap. I didn't feel sick for the first time. The Electrolyte that Keith at NSA gave me were great. I was NOT missing the sugar in the gatorate at all.

Maybe push the hills harder. Go faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition, I don't really remember it. I grabbed my other gel and went out.
Run
  • 52m 45s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

I'M SUCH A SLOW RUNNER!
ARG!

Running out of transition I saw my sister running in with her bike and I knew she would be past me soon. I ran pretty comfortably until about the 3km mark and I noticed some pain in my left leg. I was pushing hardish and saw liz on the out and backs and tried to tell her to catch up to me faster. She looked so comfortable. Unlike me, I was not doing so well. She finally passed me at about the 4km mark, and as she ran by I knew that I wouldn't be able to match her pace. Andrea had told me to run the last 6km hard. And at this point my race fell apart in my head for me. I didn't have it

If it was being sick for the weeks before or the missed training due to work, I don't know. But it wasn't there. All of that training to get my run faster, all those hard HARD track workouts kicking my own ass, it JUST WASN"T THERE. I was so desperate to feel faster, better, anything, I tried to eat my gel, and I felt a bit sick and I knew at that point that there was no more nutrition that I could absorb. And as I faded, Liz got farther and farther away. At 5km I saw my time was 25 something, and I kept trying to pull myself through the pain up to the pace.

I had Nothing, absolutly nothing. I wanted a fast race, and I wanted to swim and bike fast. But what I really wanted was to Conquer this demon of the over 50 minute 10km. And I just couldn't do it. And it killed me. I saw my watch at 49 minutes and I was so angry that I was still running.

I tried to kick at the finish. I didn't have it. I cried out a few times in exasperation and effort in the "Kick" but there was nothing there.

Then I saw my sister and gave her a big hug, and then I saw my mom. And gave her a big hug too. We had all finished around the same time. That was cool. Liz got me a recovery drink. And I went to find Callum

Run Faster. Not be in pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs for callum.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the three-four weeks of bad training.

Event comments:

GREAT amazing race. So well organized. Great people. Good venue. If you can do it. It is More than worth it.

Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/31
Overall: 31/179
Performance: Good
Suit: Farmer John wetsuit
Course: Five bouys with a get out and run.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:36 | 40 kms | 31.75 km/hr
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 47/179
Wind: None
Course: One large hill to Start, then mostly flat and one little hill. It was a great GREAT course. Wet from the rain, but good.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:45 | 10 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 23/31
Overall: 99/179
Performance: Bad
Course: Two laps, flat as a pancake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 12:00 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2007-08-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: #934291

Subject: RE: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance
So being that I was 10sec/100m SLOWER than you AND you stopped to put your chip back on....I think I'll go pump some iron....Lats of Steel for next year!! grrrr

Next year I think we should both focus on the bike......1:10 baby!!!
2007-08-21 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
2007-08-21 2:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-21 6:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Very charged race report!! Enojyed reading it!!!

I'm really sorry I didnt meet you!! I was lost in a sea of faces, and at one point, I murmured, well loudly, ANYONE FROM BEGINNER TRIATHLETE?, to no avail. And yes, I am weird to do that I know :P

Regardless, awesome race!!!! You did AWESOME on the bike and swim!!! Just gotta get those miles in during the winter months for running!

Great job again!
Derek
2007-08-21 6:31 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great Job out there MC!

YOur run is good, its going to come along right away!!

2007-08-21 8:25 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Hey Laura, it was great meeting you. You had a fantastic race. The swim you totally nailed considering you even had time to put your chip back on and your bike was really strong too. That lack of training could be part of the run problem or it could be nutrition too maybe?? But the other 2 are definitely there so you know what you have to work on for next time. But that result is definitely something to be proud of!! Way to go!
2007-08-22 6:03 AM

2007-08-22 11:55 AM

2007-08-24 1:08 PM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Fantastic report... for a fantastic race. Those are some solid times my friend, including your run.

Be proud and walk tall!
2007-08-24 6:00 PM

Spokane
Wow!  Great RR and great race!  No WONDER I didn't see you, you were wayyy out in front of me!  Way to go!!  Maybe we'll say hi next year.

2007-08-25 2:09 PM

Pro
Nice job, Laura!
2007-08-27 12:24 PM
in reply to: #940158

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Nice race and RR Laura!  See it didn't hurt you that much being down and out a few weeks, great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed