Tuckahoe, New Jersey
United States
CityTri
Total Time = 1h 13m 11s
Overall Rank = 224/259
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

We were staying (on vacation) close to the race, so we knew there wouldn't be any problem getting there for the opening of transition at 5:30am. Got signed in for the race, but was left wondering how they were going to get all 300+ people (tri & du events together) checked in before the race start time, because it wasn't a smooth check-in. Turns out, they didn't even come close. The check-in line was huge all morning, up to and past the hoped for starting time.
Event warmup:

Did little to nothing to warmup. The race started about 30-40 minutes late. Not really sure. But it was late.

I did have a peanut butter energy bar early in the morning, and drank a good bit of water. Made frequent bathroom trips all morning.
Swim
  • 12m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off fairly strong, and thought I was doing a good job swimming, as there were plenty of other swimmers around me for about the first 150 meters. But then I must have made a left turn or something and found myself having lost contact with my group and having to correct my course.
What would you do differently?:

I need to continue to push myself on the swim. I seem to drift into an easy stroke that must be too slow. I need to keep pushing. Keep sighting.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Sand everywhere. I think I need to bring a little pan for some water to step into during transition to clean my feet. And I need to lose my socks. Do I really need socks for the bike? And I need to rethink my laces on my bike shoes. I have straps and laces, do I need both? I'm going to start riding without the laces and see how that works out.

See above.
Bike
  • 37m 10s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to push myself on the bike, and I did a fairly good job at it, having my best ride ever (17+mph at 10.7 real miles). Still, in comparison to everyone else, my bike is weak. A heavy man needs a big engine. I gotta work on my engine.

My chain came off about 1/2 mile into the ride. Wasn't a big deal getting it reset, but it probably cost me about a minute, maybe a little less. Not sure if it hurt me that much though, as the adrenaline rush seemed to get me going.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Went fairly quickly. The race website doesn't show the actual T2 times, it just includes them with the run, but I'm guessing it took me about 60 seconds to make the quick change to my running shoes, although that would be a record for me (1:01 in my 1st tri, 1:10 in my 2nd).
Run
  • 19m 43s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel good at all, not for about 1-1/2 miles. The last half mile, I started to feel better and picked up my pace a bit, but not much. I would have like to have been about a minute faster on this run.

Other than my last event (one week ago), I haven't done a brick workout in 4 weeks. Not smart. I need to do more bike/run bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, walked around, got more water, walked around some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. But actually, I'm happy with this event overall.

Event comments:

Very disorganized from the start. Very nice people running the event, but I think they need more organization or more help, or both.

I wasn't getting a medal for anything but my wife was in the DU. So we waited around for the medal ceremony. Race director tried to end the medals before handing anything out for the DU. Then he seemed flustered by the whole process even though there was a whole table of medals right behind him, waiting to be handed out. Amusing and annoying.

But hey, I'm just glad the event was there at all. I mean, they had a course, a clock, lifeguards, police for the bike route, and signs for the run route. If they just worked on getting the event off on time and getting the medal ceremony put together, they'd have themselves a good event.

I'd do it again next year if they have it the same weekend in the same location.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:24 | 440 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/259
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:10 | 12 miles | 19.37 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The course was listed at 12 miles, but my bike odometer showed only 10.71 miles when I was done. The course was very flat, with nothing challenging on it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:43 | 02 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 different loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 1:14 PM

User image

Cherryville, PA
Subject: Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon

2007-08-21 2:35 PM
in reply to: #934423

New user
Philadelphia, Pa
Subject: RE: Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon
Congrats on a good race! I did this race as well and agree that it was disorganized. I found myself behind a wall of walkers after the second buoy in the swim. I have never seen anything like it. I would hope they would hold this race during high tide next year. I was there with my sister for her first tri ever. She finished and had a blast which made everything seem perfect!
2007-08-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #934423

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon
Good race, and way to handle the chain coming off - I think that would really freak me out, and it would take a while to get it back on due to my hands shaking from the adrenalin rush - assuming it didn't blow off my fingertips! Great run, way to get under the ten minute mark, and great pushing on the bike.

Do you have clipless pedals? If you're in this for the long haul, you could consider getting tri bike shoes, which have one velcro strip that opens in and is very easy to get in and out of - a good friend of mine actually keeps them on the bike, runs barefoot to the mount line, and slips into them while pedaling. Apparently, it isn't as hard as it looks. Plus, they're ventilated. I'm nowhere near that kind of thing - I'm a serious tenderfoot, so the less barefoot running at this point, the better - but it sounds like you might be if you're serious about shaving down that T1 time.

Sorry to hear about the lack of organization, that stinks. Hopefully it'll be better next year. Plus, that's very cool that your wife was in the Du.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed