View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 1h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 175/500
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/42
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4AM (well, mostly), ate me some eggs and a crunchy oat & honey granola bar and was out the door by a little after 5AM. Had to get gas and Grape Nuts. Made it out there just before 6AM clickin through my ipod trying to find SOMETHING I could dig. Seriously, Nickelback gets me going before a race. Don't know why, it just does. Don't judge me! Fellow BTer mtskibum parked next to me due to a bizarre streak of fate, so we got set up in the transition together and got our jitters worked out too. "Is it ok? Its ok. OK? OK. OK!" Final food intake of vanilla yogurt and grape nuts down the hatch. Made sure I knew which route I was taking through transition to get my bike out on the course and proceeded to get chip and body marked. The chick at the chip pickup just about pissed me off. She said I couldn't get the chip without my bib (not just my number, mind you) but my actual bib which I had just set up so meticulously way over yonder in transition. Dude, it was a long line, and I had taken cuts to get where I was, I was NOT going to start over again. We settled on a showing of the ID instead, which I possessed. Body marking was less eventful, but curiously stimulating...
Event warmup:

Headed down to the water. Lots of wetsuits. I don't own one and didn't want to spend the money right now to rent one, so I figured a 500M swim wouldn't be too bad. HOLY COLD. Swam around a bit to get my rhythm figured since it has been 2 years since my last OWS and I had only been in the pool once for 15 mintues since my collar bone injury on Memorial Day. Basically I froze in the water for awhile.
Swim
  • 08m 45s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

They started us off in a TT start. That was cool. Less congestion in the water and in transitions. Waited for my age group to get lined up and I basically cut in line at the front. Heh. I don't know why, but I like to start in front. Its JUST ME. A short run to the water and I dive in. Water in my right goggle eye. Nice. Sit up a little to drain and suction and on my way. We are swimming into the sun on the way out and people are pretty good about staying to themselves. Heading back toward the beach I got caught between a chick veering right and a chick on her back veering left. I was in the middle and they didn't see me. Should have pushed my way through, but I wasn't in the mood to fight it. I sat up, let them collide and went around the outside. Heh. The swim was good all in all, I don't remember getting passed, but I only breathe on my left side so someone could have snuck by on the right... LOTS of things could have happened on that right side and I would have never known! Anyway, my hips kept sinking I think because I kept looking up to spot before I'd breathe. Head down hips up. Got to the beach and we had to run UPHILL quite far to the transition area. Hustled.
What would you do differently?:

If I could breathe on my right side, I could have seen the bouys better. Oh, and TRAINED.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Found my stuff fast, I think I set up in a great place. I only had my Mtn bike shoes and pedals for my road bike, and since mtn bike shoes are made to be used on the ground as well as clipped in actually worked well because then I didn't skid around on the pavement in my shoes to the mount line. My helmet still has some busted straps so it took an extra second or two to get it just right. I did a nice running mount as well. Heh. That sounds cool.

Run through the wade pools (didn't even SEE them) to get the remaining sand off my feet. Didn't bother me in the bike shoes, but now I have blisters from the run because there was some grains of sand in there.
Bike
  • 38m 57s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, the bike was HILLY. Rolling hills. Pavement was crappy. It was the same for everyone, so no reason to get upset. I went at a pretty good clip. Started passing quite a few people, but it is misleading because of the TT start and the older women had started ahead. So I didn't get the same cool feeling from it. My only thought was to pass as many people as possible so they would have to work that much harder to pass me on the run. Is that flawed logic? (I can see you nodding) I should have left more in my legs for the run? (nodding...)

Anyway... bumpy and hilly, I only got passed a couple times and it made me angry so I just went faster. Almost got in trouble for going over the yellow line, but i was trying to get around someone else that was getting around someone else that was getting around someone else. I was clearly the fastest so I did it anyway. I got in trouble again coming into transition because I didn't slow to a stop fast enough. I hadn't practiced my dismount so I came in a little hot. Oops. Overall, it wasn't my strongest bike, but it seemed to work ok.

Train. You know, one day I'll get to have a different response to this question.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

This was ok. I could have taken a few seconds off here if I had left and fiddled with my number belt and hat later. It was good though. Ditched my sunglasses, frankly, they suck. I need some new ones. Noticed the sand when I put my running shoes on, but figured oh well. Someone yelled my name a couple times which confused me. Realized they weren't really yelling at ME, but I pretended they were. "Go Linda! Go catch Katie, she is just ahead of you!" Ok, I'm all over it. Where is that bitch? I'll get her.
Run
  • 28m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

$%#%! Running sux. I started out too fast and it took awhile to find a rhythm. The course wrapped around the lake a bit and it was a bit hilly for my taste. I passed a few people walking and only a handful that were actually running. I got really excited at one point because I saw a guy ahead of me running a little slower than I was. I realized I was going to actually pass him. I get closer and closer... look at his calf... 77 years old. %$@# yeah, I rock! grumble....

I never walked, that was my only goal. I didn't cramp up, so I probably could have pushed it a little harder. I was excited about ONE thing... my friend was racing who is very speedy and was in it to take the win overall. He started the race behind me I don't know how long, but the whole time I was thinking, "If nothing else, he will NOT pass me." I finally saw him on the run, actually pretty close to the turnaround. I ran scared after that. Whew. He didn't pass me. Success!

I had no kick at the end. I was hurting. Cool finish, lots of people cheering, some volleyball girls doing some cheering... rah rah whatever I just wanted to be DONE.

Train. I got some shinsplints early on, probably because my form was so horrible. After awhile, my whole body hurt so I didn't notice them so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Nicely organized race. Lots of food and beverage. Like a real lunch. Oh, and beer. Thank GOODNESS. Hung out with the Bters, relaxed in the sun, waiting for the results and MMMark to show up. It was good times. Good times.

I ended up 8th in my age group of 43 women. Not so bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, der.

Event comments:

I'll do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:45 | 500 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/42
Overall: 0/500
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:57 | 12 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/42
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: HILLS PEOPLE
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:50 | 03.11 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/42
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-21 4:50 PM
in reply to: #934897

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-21 5:01 PM

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon
Awesome race.  I would not have thought about racing with a bum collerbone
2007-08-21 5:26 PM

Veteran
Denver

Nice Race! You Rock! I think if you train next year, you'll be on the podium!

You won't beat me again, but you'll be on the podium.

2007-08-21 5:38 PM

Master
Long Island, NY

Lindizzle!

Nice race, even while on the mend you kick !  Way to drop that 77yr old dude like a bad habit!

Tim

2007-08-21 6:14 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yeah! Results finally posted online I see...now you can find something else to wait for. You had an awesome race and sound like Mel on the run. Glad I could be there to join everyone for the awards but would have been even cooler to see the whole thing. Really would have been cool to see you stressing before the start...ha ha...OK...OK....OK.

Nice job chickn' mtnskibum (his words...not mine) but you better get busy becuase he is coming after you next year. Just think, if you had your road shoes you would have been at least one place higher...it was only 30 seconds.

Michael

2007-08-21 6:47 PM

Champion
Michigan

head down hips up. hmm, where have i heard that before...

nice race woman. too bad you don't have a running coach to help you 

2007-08-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #935061

Expert
Stafford, Ks
trixie - 2007-08-21 6:47 PM

head down hips up. hmm, where have i heard that before...

nice race woman. too bad you don't have a running coach to help you 

I love women who think like men!

2007-08-21 7:49 PM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
For all this not training and being injured, you did a great job.  Imagine how well you'll do next year when you get some more training in. 
2007-08-21 9:04 PM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job out there!  Sorry I missed you again!  Looks like you did ok without the wetsuit!  Nice ride too!
2007-08-21 10:37 PM

Champion
Nashville, TN

Don't call it a come back!!!

Great race RM.  This is a great start to salvaging a season!!!

2007-08-22 7:07 AM

Master
Centennial, CO
Nice race out there.  You did pretty good for a girl with a mended collar bone.  Really enjoyed your report.  You rocked.  And only feel bad if your passed by someone with a 77 on their calf.   Good job.  Sorry we didn't meet.  I think I even saw you, but wasn't sure.
2007-08-22 7:12 AM

Holy CRAP you're aggressive.  Cutting in line a few times, mowing people down, tripping the 77-year-old... I'm so proud of you.  Sounds like you did great and had a good time!  Good on you registering and going out to do it at the last minute.

Got pics of the cheering volleyball girls?

2007-08-22 8:36 AM

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job...especially the swim considerring your lack of water time over the summer and no wetsuit! And to think this race wasn't even on your training calendar a couple weeks back. Great finish overall!
2007-08-22 9:28 AM

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
NOICE!!! Next year, train...and don't break anything!!!
2007-08-22 1:29 PM

Florida

"...Had to get gas and Grape Nuts..."

yikes. high fiber will do that.  No wonder you're hips were sinking..

Nice RR. congrats on finishing with a STILL fractured collarbone. 

2007-08-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: #936270

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Very nice race! Not too shabby at all considering injury and lack of training. If it makes you feel any better, a 67 year old guy blew by me like I was standing still in my last race.
2007-08-22 4:17 PM

Champion
Chicago
``Body marking was less eventful, but curiously stimulating...''

Lucky guy/girl.
2007-08-22 7:04 PM

Veteran
Denver CO
Great to meet you out there. Excellent race...run them all down you got the right spirit!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed