General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
The Kelowna Apple Triathlon Society
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 19m 39s
Overall Rank = 70/469
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

So Carolyn (my girlfriend and I) drove up on Friday afternoon after we both got off work (only half days!! WOOOOO)! We got there in record time, for us anyways, at just under 3 hours which was awesome!

We were staying in my Aunt and Uncle's house for the weekend, while my Aunt was doing the walk to end breast cancer, and my uncle was in Manitoba on business. We had the place to ourselves... except their dog and 2 kitties!!

So we relaxed on Friday evening, got kind of unpacked and just had a very relaxing evening with pasta and good movie included!

Saturday morning I went for a 20 minute run with some strides to warm up the ol' leggys from the immobile driving experience the day before! Went well, and I felt pretty good, and the weather was holding up! At night, Carolyn and I made some bbq chicken breast and ate salad/left over pasta with it! Great dinner! Went to bed around 9:30!

Sunday morning, 3:20 a.m. I woke up (WIDE AWAKE) and couldnt fall back asleep. I was excited, that's all there was to it!!! Felt psyched up and ready to go, had a breakfast of a Black Cherry Cliff Bar + Bagel with Peanut Butter + Bottle of water + Bottle of Accelerade! Headed down to the racesite and met up with Sebastian (Ancientdude). I made 2 not too subtle yells of "Beginner triathlete" to see if anyone DIDNT look awkward, on the off chance any of you were around!!

Event warmup:

So transition closed 30 mins before my heat, so that sucked! I suited up and headed down to the marshalling area, taking a gander at the guys around me to see if I had any swimming competition. Looked like I was set, until I saw a swimming coach I knew when I was still swimming (Serge Score) that had a reputation as a crazy fast athlete (at anything!).
Decided he was my target for the swim!
Sebastian came over, we chatted and discussed strategies to get out in front.
The air horn went, and we were off!
Swim
  • 19m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well I started TOO FAR BACk at the beginning and got kicked in the face multiple times. Not a good start I thought.
So I decided to play hardball and ran over 3 guys to jump to the front behind Serge, the aforementioned swim coach and some random guy that was in the front as well. I decided to hang back and draft the whole first lap, and have Sebastian draft off of me. The first lap was great with sighting and drafting, until I got bored with the pace and blew by the random guy, moving in to 2nd place for the whole 2nd lap.
Now, I caught up to Serge and was head to head until just after the last buoy, and moved ahead of him, or thought I did. Turns out, I didnt sight the water exit very well and almost ended up at the beach run area again, losing about 30 seconds!
WOW was I mad, I swore twice before SPRINTING to the water exit area, going backwards at first to round the buoys, then busting a move inside.
I was about ready to kill someone at that point!!! Not literally obviously :P
Definitely happy with the time considering then stupid mistake I made
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight buoys instead of following people you've already lapped and are going into the second lap instead of finishing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Stupid wetsuit got caught on the timing chip!!
GARRRRR Just infuriated me more!

Buy garden shears and just cut off my wetsuit in frustration :)
Bike
  • 1h 14m 23s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.27 km/hr
Comments:

Ok, I had been working on my cycling quite a bit, and I think I have made significant gains since my first Triathlon in March, after which I actually started training for the bike.

I felt good getting on the bike and dropped into aero position basically right away. The first lap I discovered how I am a climber, and not so much a flat lander/descender. I passed TONS of people on the hills, but got smoked by them on the flats/downhills. Most of the course were small rollers, but there were TONS of sharp turns, so you'd have to re-accelerate again and again and again, and anywhere there was an uphill, that's where I really shone.

Anyways, the laps went by super fast and I did feel so much more confident then I had ever felt racing on the bike, which I was SO happy for. Saw Carolyn every lap and yelled "I LOVE YOU" I think every lap :P
Cringe all you want :)

I guess this winter I Need to put mileage in and just get that base cycling foundation!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Pretty fast transition for me, especially since I have no speed laces
Grabbed a gel, threw it in the jersey and ran like hell!

Nadda!
Run
  • 42m
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I wanted to be sub 40 on the run, and I had done it in training twice before. I think I need more brick workouts, but I've been running fast.

I downed a gel the second I got out of transition and it gave me a little boost! I skipped the first aid station and just went for it, passing quite a few people, and only getting passed 1-2 times on the first lap.

The second lap I was feeling my efforts on the bike for sure and hit every aid station on the way back. The first 2km felt like forever, but once I hit the gravel road, I knew I was getting close (7.5km in). I waited until an aid station was visible and I downed another gel and gulped down 2 cups of water in about 5 seconds flat. I needed that sugar rush, and according to my splits, it helped.

Kilometer 9: 3:55
Kilometer 10: 3:38

Needless to say I SPRINTED that last km right to the finish, racing this very fast girl the whole way! It was great to have someone to race to the finish, and helped me acheive my goal of BEING UNDER 2:20!! I threw my hands in the air and was SO HAPPY!

More bricks

Post race
Warm down:

Smiling, Smiling, Powerbar Recovery Shake, Smiling, Kissing Carolyn, Eating 2 bananas, BEAMING!
A new pb by 6:16. I dont think anything could have made me happier!
Except, it was MY BIRTHDAY TOO!!!
The best birthday present a guy could ask for!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to build a more solid foundation for cycling!
Not enough brick workouts

Event comments:

Loved the atmosphere and the volunteers were generally very good!
Will definitely aim to do this race again!

Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 6/469
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Wetsuit
Course: 2 x 750 laps with a beach run in between
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:23 | 40 kms | 32.27 km/hr
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 144/469
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 4x10km laps with a short 75m uphill that was pretty steep!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:00 | 10 kms | 04m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 49/469
Performance: Good
Course: 2x 5km laps FLAT FLAT FLAT FLAT FLAT With lots of turns, and some of the course being on a gravel trail!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-08-21 7:01 PM
in reply to: #934991

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-08-21 8:15 PM
in reply to: #934991

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Super great race Derek! And a great report! You just killed that swim, way to go! Maybe I should take some lessons from you!! Good job on the PB as well, and a belated Happy Birthday!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed