Aurora, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 50s
Overall Rank = 149/486
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/58
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had a waffle with peanut butter. Packed the car and headed to the Lake. Got there early and got a good spot next to the bike exit. Walked around and talked to Josh, Melanie and Mark. Also saw Matt, Jen, Zev and Scott. It was nice to see everyone. Very relaxed before the race.
Event warmup:

Got on the wetsuit and swam a little bit prior to the swim. Felt kind of "Off", but figured I'd be o.k.
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really like the time trial start as I was able to get into a rythum quickly. I felt great on the first 300 to the buoy, though my sighting could have been better. We were headed right into the sun and I went a little too far left. Turned and headed back in to the beach, and got stuck between two guys. I kept trying to shoot the gap between them, and should have just sprinted around them. Finally got by with about 50 yards left.
What would you do differently?:

Swim around the slower swimmers and set my line earier so I sight better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition for me. They had wetsuit stripper and that worked great. I wish they had that at all races.

I need to learn to leave the shoes on the bike. Maybe next year.
Bike
  • 38m 59s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I had done a little better on this. I didn't get passed much and really tried to work up the hills. I did have one point where I slammed through a pothole I didn't see at about 23 mph. Thought I had flatted, seemed to slow me down quite a bit as I mentally checked over the bike. Lost focus for about 5 minutes.

Pay attention to avoid the pothole. I need to work on hills more. Too much time at Cherry Creek and Chatfield. Need to ride Deer Creek more next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I really thought I got through t2 quicker, but thinking back I was a little slow to get my running legs. Also fumbled with my race belt.

Just practice.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this run. I wanted to run in the 25-26 minute time but was a little slow. Felt good after the first mile. Kept a good pace and really picked it up at the end.

Do more bricks. I need to transition between the bike and run better.I also need to lose weight. I know I could find a couple of minutes if I could just lose that 10-15 lbs I'm carrying. Maybe next year. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and cheered racers with Melanie. Had some food with Mel, Josh and his family. Talk to Mark while picking up Transition

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, time and intensity.

Event comments:

I do like this race (when it's not raining like last year). And it is fun to see all my race friends. I really wanted to make sure I have fun at all my races and I am doing that. This is 19 minutes faster than last year, and that includes the fact that the bike was 2 miles shorter this year, so I was about 11 minutes faster this year. I was very happy with my run as last year all my races I kept coming in in about 27-28 minutes. I know I am capable of taking time off all 3 disciplines. I just need to focus and lose the weight over the winter.

It was great seeing everyone and I am now looking forward the the Fall Frenzy. Bring it on.

Last updated: 2007-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 547 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/58
Overall: 0/486
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Out and Back "V" Buoy on the right
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:59 | 12 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/58
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, very hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:33 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/58
Course: Out and back on concrete path. Rolling inclines (not quite hills but not flat)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #935227

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon
Awesome Race! Nice work. That's so great that you were 11 minutes faster on the bike this year. It's so cool to see all the training pay off and times get better. Bummer I didn't meet you out there. Hopefully we can meet up sometime. Keep up the good work!
2007-08-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: #935497

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice race!  I would have loved to meet you!  Another day, another race... or we should all meet up for some training sometime!  I live really close to Deer Creek Canyon so let me know if you need a buddy to ride with.

Great job!!!

2007-08-22 12:04 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Great to see you out there.  You had an awesome race if you cut off that much time off last year.  See you at Fall Frenzy.  That should be fun again this year.
2007-08-22 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Excellent improvement over last year and a very solid race overall. See you at the Frenzy.
2007-08-23 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Good talking to you at the race.  See you in a few weeks.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed