General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 14s
Overall Rank = 302/515
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/55
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the parking area, pouring out. Got on the bus that would take us to the race site, had a nice talk with a fellow sprinter. Got to the race site, and waited inside to hear whether or not the race was going to be cancelled. Met up with Peggy inside, finally met HangLoose, Schmize, and a couple other BT'ers (FORGIVE ME...I CANNOT REMEMBER WHO...I WAS PRETTY FLUSTERED WITH THE WEATHER).

We heard the race was a go as there looked to be a break in the weather, so we headed over to the soggy wet transition, and set up our areas. The people next to me left me no room, so after I politely asked them to move a little as some bikes had left due to the weather, I had a little area to set up. This "problem" with the others around me taking up too much room will come back later in the race...totally annoying!!
Event warmup:

Does standing around in the gym talking with fellow BT'ers count as a warm up?

While waiting for the swim start, I waited around with Peggy (Maggyruth) and David (Crowny2).
Swim
  • 20m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles got a tad foggy, so once again, I ended up side stroking a lot of it. Out of the 3 races I've done this year, I swam about the same as far as freestyle/side stroke. Did a good job staying out of the way of other swimmers though, so that was good.
What would you do differently?:

I just have to keep practicing over the winter to continue to gain confidence. When my goggles fog up, I can't panic and not freestyle, I just need to suck it up and go with it. The fact that it was dark I don't think helped either.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Ran into transition, and off to side and ripped off suit. Came off really easily. I find that if I wait until I get to my bike, it's so much harder to get off. Felt a little frazzled grabing my stuff out from the bag as oppossed to having it all laid out in front of you, but not too bad.

Felt pretty good about this transition.

Still want to figure out the whole placement of the ponytail thing. I tried to stick it down low so I don't have to move it to put on helmet, but then it felt like it was going to fall out of swim cap? Will practice over winter.

Sounds dumb I'm sure, but I will NOT cut off my hair to make it easier...like my shoulder length curly hair!!

I ranked 203/515 and 24/55 in this transition.
Bike
  • 38m 24s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I REALLY loved this course...I thought it was the best bike course I have ever done, and I made a decision while out on the bike (in between concentrating on not wiping out) that this is where I want to do my VERY FIRST OLYMPIC triathlon in 2008.

Let's just hope that this time next year, it's not raining and almost cancelled.

No females passed me (thought to myself that it was because they were so far ahead of me from the swim..ha!) but I did pass a lot of people which felt good.

Asked the woman spectators on one of the turns if the trophy she had next to her was for me? Funny thing about that, it was made out of beer cans???? Wonder how she won that I thought to myself!

Got in and out of the shoes very well, so I was happy with that.

The one kind of annoying thing is I got "stuck" behind someone trying to get back to my rack, as I think transition is a little tight up there.

Nothing of note...I think under the conditions, I did really well here.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

The running with bike was below average because of like I said above, I got stuck behind someone.

The racking of the bike I hinted at earlier in my race review...when I got back to my area, the guy who was originally like 2 spots over to the right from me, had completely taken up my area, and the one next to me, and there was no where for my bike to go. So, not wanting to be as rude as this guy was and take up someone else's area, I laid my bike down, moved his over (pushed is more like it), and then racked mine.

Seriously, I know it's crowded, and you are trying to get through transition as quickly as possible, but this guy knew nothing about "common courtesy," and no, he was NOT a member of BT...maybe that "other" site...ha!

After that fiasco, I dug my running shoes out, ditched my socks this time, as they were soaked, and ran without socks, which I had never done before, so I just hoped for the best! Grabbed my race belt, and I was off.

I ranked 431/515 and 48/55 on this transition.

Nothing...everything that went bad was out of my control.

Run
  • 28m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Do I even put that my side cramped up, or should I just ever make a comment if it doesn't? I mean, I've just come to realize that it's going to come on, it's just a matter of when I guess. This time, it was really bad approaching the first mile marker. I slowed down, stopped for a sec to try to do the yoga side stretch hoping it would go away, and started off again.

I did my best to not walk, and just do a slow jog, all the while, massaging the area hoping that would help.

I walked through the water/gatorade stop, and drank the whole cup of lemon lime gatorade, hoping this may make it go away, and it felt like it worked since after we made the turn, I felt better, so I picked up the pace all the way into the finish.

When I was feeling this, and getting angry again at the Running Gods for having to have this stupid IlliaSoaz pain (it's my pain, so I'm just going to spell it how I think it should be spelled!), I thought of Terri and Deanna and what they are going through. I felt my body get chills all over, and looked down and saw my hair on my arms standing up a little, about the same time I got that chocked up feeling...here I am mad about a side pain, when they were going through the fight of their lives.

I touched my two tatoos, took a deep breath, looked up to Mom above, and just said "The hell with the pain, it's my last race, I'm gonna just haul ass to the finish!"

I had a lot of people at the finish comment about my strong finish, wishing I could have run the previous 2 miles like that, but glad that I was able to finish strong.

Continue with PT...I don't really have a choice.

Who knows...maybe by next year, I won't ever have to mention the IS pain at all...that would be tremendous!! I am keeping a positive outlook!!

Mile splits from watch:

1: 9:20
2: 10:17 (ya, side pain bad...I don't think I've ever run this slow in a race, so way off my race pace it's beyond frustrating)
3: 9:07
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got my gatorade, and saw we were able to get back into transition, so I made the decision to get in, and get out.

Was wet, sticky, felt grose, so I just wanted to get home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IS strikes again.

Goggles fogging up and making me feel a little panicky too.

Event comments:

Overall, I feel like I had a good race. Could have done way better in the swim, but like I said, I think one more good off season of training in the pool should help. Lots of continued PT, while a pain in the butt sometimes, should help the IS pain...we hope!!

Was really happy to finally meet some of the boys from BT as we've been e-mailing forever, and now I actually know what they look like.

Had a very good dinner with Peggy and David (and his wife) the night before...even though it was just us four, the food was delicious!

The offsite parking was a little annoying, and the walk back seemed to take forever, but walked with David and his wife, so that was nice. Like he said, it was a good cool down!

I am totally making this my first OLY next year, 2008!

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:18 | 820 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/55
Overall: 403/515
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Qunintana Roo of Jens
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:24 | 12.43 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/55
Overall: 193/515
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Ok, so...coming from the ultra flat region of downtown Chicago, I was a little shocked when we turned out to begin the race, and what do I see, but a rather large overpass. Funny I thought to myself...Peggy said it was a rather flat course, so what the heck is this? Then who do I see...yep, Peggy!! I make a funny comment about this not being flat, and that I was going to give her sh*t when we got off, all in good fun. It really wasn't bad at all, I think my legs were just cooked from the swim, something else that will improve once my swimming improves.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:44 | 03.11 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/55
Overall: 311/515
Performance: Average
Course: Nice...really liked it. I like the fact that you get to see so many people while you were on it. I think it was laid out very well. Really flat...even by Chicago standards!! Is this what Peggy meant was flat? Ha ha!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-22 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-08-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: #935488

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Peggy...I think I heard you say too that you would be doing OLY here next year too, so I'm holding you to that girlfriend!!

2007-08-22 9:59 AM
in reply to: #935638

User image

Pro
Without house

miami9296 - 2007-08-22 9:39 AM Peggy...I think I heard you say too that you would be doing OLY here next year too, so I'm holding you to that girlfriend!!

I said I MIGHT...

Alright, alright...geesh...

Great race, great report...

Edited by maggyruth 2007-08-22 10:00 AM
2007-08-22 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Bout time you put your RR up here. 

Good race time considering the pain in the side again.

See you next year and have fun this weekend jockstrapping down in KY. 

2007-08-22 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job despite challenging conditions! I hope you find the answers for your IS and side pains in the off-season. It would be great to get that taken care of before really getting into training for your first Oly next year. Best of luck in your preparation!
2007-08-22 2:15 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Great to meet you too.  Congrats and you'll love the OLY course!

2007-08-22 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
it was nice to met you miami. You rocked the course. I really likes PP for a race. Nice goodies, nice set up, nice course.

only problem with the spirit course is when you do the turn around normally there is the sun blinding you.

One thing I heard from alot of people is getting your sun off asap is important because its easier to get off. Good job during it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed