EndorFun
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 50m 2s
Overall Rank = 758/1492
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 93/164
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 4:15, showered and then ate 2 bananas and a clif bar. Then headed down to Ellacoya. Got to the park at about 4:50 and there was already a line forming to get into the park. Once in the park I went over to get body marked then walked over to set up my gear in the transition area. Transition area was right beside lake so I couldn't wait to see what the water looked like. Was at the sprint the morning before and the water was really choppy. Pleased to find that the lake looked pretty calm.
Event warmup:

Nonthing besides swimming a few hundred meters just before my wave went off.
Swim
  • 40m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

This being my first 1/2 Ironman I was a bit nervous before my wave went off. Once I got into the warm that all went away pretty quickly. My plan was to take it easy on the swim since I had no experience in racing at this distance. Once my wave went off I took it easy and felt really comfortable the entire swim. The only problem I ran into was dealing with the sun and sighting. When I left the transition area to head over to the swim start the sun wasn't really out yet so I grabbed my clear goggles. By the time my ewave went off the sun was out and once you made the first turn it was tough to see the buoys because of sun glare.
What would you do differently?:

Use goggles that are tinted. Now I know I could have pushed myself a bit harder. Once I was on the bike all I thought about o the bike is that the swim seemed to easy. I guess that was because of the pace I swam. gonna push a bit harder next time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Once I came out of the water I was wooried about being too cold on the bike so I decided rather than be uncomfortable on the bike I'll try to dry myself off as well as I could. It definetly showed in my time. I also forgot to prepare my Gu's and Shot Bloks for the ride.

Turned out it wasn't as cold as I expected so I wasted some time drying off for nothing.Set up my nutrition better than double check it.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode some of the course during the week prior to the race. Decided to swap my cassette out for a 12-25 once I rode some of the hills. Made decision because I prefer riding at a higher cadence and figured this would save my legs while climbing some of the hills and then later in the run. Under trained for the hills. Also forgot to throw on some Chamois Buttr before ride. started to feel it later in the ride.

Need to put more miles in on the bike and get more long training rides in.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Better then first transition but this time I forgot to put out my socks and run cap while setting up in the morning (must have still been asleep). Ended up having to dig through bag to find the socks.

Again double chech to see if I have everything set up properly. Strange because this has never happened to me before. Nervous might have had something to do with it as well.
Run
  • 2h 01m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

felt pretty good the first few miles then my entire body just started to hurt. I wasn't sure if it was cramps or just pain from the long day that running down my lower back and sides. It definately slowed me down but is wasn't going to stop me. I was happy I was on the run course and about to complete my first 1/2 Ironman.

Besides put more training (bricks and long runs) time in, not much.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience in the distance. Plan on going back next year to see what type of improvements I make over the year.

Event comments:

Can't say enough about this event. It was by far the best event i have ever been to. There were plenty of volunteers and plenty of post race activities to enjoy. If all of Keith Jordans' events are this awesome I'm sure I'll be signing up for some of the other races he runs.

Last updated: 2007-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 93/164
Overall: 753/1492
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Z2 Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:03:08 | 56 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 98/164
Overall: 777/1492
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly out and back course with the larger hills in the first and last 10 to 15 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:01:17 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 92/164
Overall: 778/1492
Course: 2 loops with some hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-22 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2007-08-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #936694

User image

Veteran
MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Congrats on an amazing first half ironman, Adam!  I can't believe you did the bike without Chamois Buttr (hah)- that is hardcore! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed