Mountain Man Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 40s
Overall Rank = 303/414
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/26
Pre-race routine:

I woke up, got dressed, ate some oatmeal, made some weak coffee. Then I loaded my gear and bike and headed over to Lake Arrowhead while drinking my coffee. I didn't know where to park but I just followed everyone else and I ended up very close to the transition area. I then set up my bike in the far corner of the transition (it wasn't crowded there) just to find out later that you come in and out from the other end. I was thinking they would direct you through from one end to the other. Oh well. Then I said hi to some Inland Inferno folks, walked around a bit, grabbed my cap and goggles and headed to the swim start.
Event warmup:

To my surprise they were letting people swim to warm up so I took advantage. I jumped right in and noticed that the water was slightly warmer than the air. I am guessing the low 70's. I tried to find the buoys during my warm up but had no idea where they were. I just did an easy out and back.
Swim
  • 16m 30s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was hard. I am sure it was a combination of the elevation and the hard fact that my last time in the water was May 27th. I was in the middle of the pack and kept getting squished by the people on my sides. The water was clear so I could see people under water so I tried to avoid them. I figured others could do the same. I guess I will never get used to swimming in a crowd of people. The swimming around the buoys was terrible. At the first one there were people pushing and shoving and climbing all over one another. Please don't drown me! The second buoy was really hard to see. I swam towards it (into the sun) for 5 minutes before I could actually see it. Then I noticed it was a triangular eclipse in the sun (pretty cool looking). From time to time there were decent swells from the boats which made the swim interesting too.
What would you do differently?:

Train.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

I was really winded from the swim so I was trying to do things slow and deliberately. I think I did a good job.

Get a better position in the transition area.
Bike
  • 51m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 11.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I like hills. This was a very fun bike. There were a few times when I thought I was at the top and then the road turned and there was more uphill. I did a lot of passing the same people over and over because we had different strengths on different parts of the hill. Once I was in the wrong gear and dropped down a gear on the big ring and the chain fell off. I lost some time putting the chain back on. But I got cool grease marks in the process.

Ride the course before the race to know what the hills are like.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was again winded in this transition. I just tried to stay slow and steady.
Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really winded coming out of the transition and the first part was uphill. I decided to walk the first hill. Once I got my breath back I jogged the course. My hip hurt a bit but it wasn't terrible. The water stops were great. I took a few sips of water both times.

I need to work on my running a lot!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, drank water. I saw a few folks from IITC and talked with them for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

This was a fantastic race and it was very well run. I will be back next year and the years after.

My only gripe is the road-raged monster truck on the course. You could tell some of the locals were pissed that there was a bike race on their streets.

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:30 | 600 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 0/414
Performance: Below average
15:07 by my watch. then there was a run to the transition.
Suit: tri shorts and tri tank top
Course: Start out with a short run from the beach to the water. Swim 100 meters to the left, round the buoy, the a long straight swim into the sun, round the 2nd buoy and to the shore. Then there was a run to the transition about 1/4 of a mile.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:17 | 10 miles | 11.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/26
Performance: Good
My watch said 46:43. I think I hit it a little late coming out of transition. The official splits include transition.
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly. Clockwise around Lake Arrowhead. There were some sharp turns and traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:50 | 03 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/26
Performance: Below average
My watch said 32:30 but I was trying to hit the mile splits and probably included the transition time.
Course: More hills. It was an out and back on the first 1.5 miles of the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes