General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am totally embarrassed to admit this.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-16 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: I am totally embarrassed to admit this....

....but for the life of me, I cannot change my bike tires!!!!!  I can't pull hard enough on the tire to get the last of it on the rim.  I use tire levers, I have tried everything.....any help would be appreciated!  I am too embarrassed to ask at the LBS too (I feel that I should know these things by now) Any good articles out there?

And just to boost my ego, will anyone else fess up to having this problem?

Jen

2004-10-16 2:14 PM
in reply to: #73158

User image

Expert
Utah
Subject: RE: I am totally embarrassed to admit this....
Fess, fess, fess
2004-10-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: #73165

Online or Offline

I'll fess up. The first 3 times I tried to change the tires out on my mountain bike (had to use it for my first 2 tris), I had to ask  hubby to help getting them back on the rim. By the 4th tire exchange, I was able to do it alone. I think perhaps the pliability of my tires increased with every change.

But when I'm finished wrestling the ba$tards on, I've broken a sweat, rubbed my thumbs raw, and bent up a cheap tire iron. I'm really apprehensive of when the time comes for me to change my tire on my road bike (for when I put the bike onto a trainer).

Don't feel bad; as long as men can't ask for directions, I can't ask my bike mechanic for an easier way to get my tire back onto the rim.

2004-10-16 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I am the queen of flats...and have yet to be able to change on my own....have always been rescued!
2004-10-16 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
I don't know if there is a trick. What I do is harness all of my energy and focus it into the last little bit of tire and... poof, it goes on. It does take bionic thumb strength to do it a second time in the same day. Good luck!

I'm sure someone has a trick that works better.
2004-10-16 4:28 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
okay women, party at my house. we can have pina coladas and i'll give you the lessons i've learned commuting by bike for years and years. its easier than you think...but it takes practice. my fastest flat fix - under 5 mins! already late for work, and rode over a dry wall screw!

really though - take the front wheel off your bike, sit down, and practice. the more you do it, the easier it will get. bike levers are your friends. letting as much air out as possible is good. pump a little back in to test the new tube (or patch), and make pinches less likely. check the tire for the cause of the flat (but do this slowly - if its a chunk of glass sticking through the tire, you want to find it carefully!).

and ask at the bike shop. you don't have to admit that you don't know how. just say 'i've been doing tris and i want to learn the secrets to doing this as quickly as possible.'...then come back here and tell us what you've learned!

2004-10-16 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Some tires come off and go on easier then others.  I have no trouble changing some brands but Continental Grand Prix on my bontrager rims are the pits!!!  But I like riding in a group so that some tire changing whiz does it for me in 2 minutes.
2004-10-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: #73190

Online or Offline

Ah-friggin-hah!!!  The tires about which I previously bitched were CONTINENTALS on BONTRAGER rims....hmmmmm. There's hope for me.

(LOL I'll report back after changing out my road bike's tires for the trainer)

2004-10-16 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Hey Jen, I'll 'fess up too - but only to make you feel better ok??

I panicked the week before my A race last summer and my new (but very dear friend now!) at the LBS gave me a private lesson on tire changing solely to avert the TIRE GODS.

But, since it worked so well, I have yet to have a flat - so my finely honed skills are likely all gone now.  And I'll now come to you for advice when it inevitably does happen - just to boost your ego.

2004-10-16 5:05 PM

New user

Tennessee
I had the same problem. As others stated, the tire will make a big difference. I have found Verdestein to be easier than others that I have used. One thing that also helped me was the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. It unfolds and slips over your axle at one end and the rim of your wheel on the other. You rotate it and it will pop the tire right on. Performance has them for aound $7. I carry one in my seat pack. Also, practice makes perfect. Consider it part of your training. And don't be embarrassed to get help from you LBS. I went in mine and sat there and changed my tire a couple of times with them giving me tips when I got to difficult parts. There are little tricks using leverage, etc. that can help, which they can show you. As long as you buy your tires from them they won't mind.

2004-10-16 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
I second the speed levers, as well as practicing. My LBS was great, too, taking time to show me and answer any questions. A lot of times, the local cycling club will may provide training at a monthly meeting or special event for newer riders.

2004-10-17 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Thanks, you guys!  I feel better already.

I guess I will have to face the music and head to the LBS...they will help me out, no problem!

Jen

2004-10-18 7:46 AM

Pro
Andover
Here is a trick:

Put one "side of the tire on the rim, as usual. Then, feed the tube in as usual. Then, start at the valve stem, which should be closest to you, and put the other side of the tire on, as usual. Now, here's the trick... Pinch the tire up as you go, both left and right sides, from the valve stem, toward the part of the tire that is still off the rim. Then, when you have that little bit left, go back down to the stem and pinch the tire back up to the part that is left. This pinching action (more of a rolling the tire that is on the rim upward to the part that is not on the rim) will give you a bit more play and make popping that last bit on easier.

Try it, it works.
2004-10-18 9:20 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

I thought I'd messed up my tube so I tried to change it.  I swear, it took me an hour.  And then I found out that my old tube was just fine -- I just wasn't getting the pump on well enough to inflate it.

Anyway, all I can say is that you don't have to be as gentle as you think.  It took a lot of pulling to get it off and you just have to not be scared.  Also, my LBS offers free bike maintenance classes one night a week.  Perhaps yours does as well?  If they don't, head there at an off time when they're likely to be bored and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you practice.

2004-10-18 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
I think there's an article on Bike sport Michigan. Also, if you have free time, just practice changing it. You'll get the hang of it in no time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am totally embarrassed to admit this.... Rss Feed