General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best part of watching Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-16 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
Subject: Best part of watching Ironman

I watched my first Ironman Championship today.  For me the best part is going on right now.  www.Ironmanlive.com is showing the age groupers coming in.  I love watching the family members run the last 20 yards with them.  Some carry their babies. An entire family, baby laden stroller included, ran the last bit with their husband/father.   The relief (some are collapsing), happiness, tears,  pain, etc. is really moving and motivating.  The announcer is doing a great job telling viewers about every finisher.  It shows that even though triathlon is an individual event, it really takes a team.

Edited by lifesgreat 2004-10-16 11:34 PM

2004-10-17 4:14 AM
in reply to: #73282

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Best part of watching Ironman
As I was running to the airport I saw some disabled athletes pushing hard. I saw a guy carrying his bike, the back wheel was in peices. The level of support there, with everyone wearing shirts to show support for their athlete is amazing. Now I promised myself I would be back before I am 30...
2004-10-17 4:32 AM

New user

brisbane
i went and watched ironman australia this year and the atmosphere was hugh. there were families walking around with their father's,husband,uncle,aunty,etc numbers on their shirts as well as pictures. if have completed olympic distance before but they did not even rate in comparison to the atmosphere at an ironman. Found my inspiration to do my first ironman tri at ironman WA
2004-10-17 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Watching that guy pull his son who has CP in a boat. He runs it every year with him. I think they didn;t finish this year tho. I guess it was quite windy.

He is so inspiring!!!! I think if he can do an IM pulling /pushing his son the whole way maybe I can do it too.
2004-10-17 9:04 AM

User image

Gilbert, Az
The Ironman is interesting because watching the pro is just awesome...so competetive for hours on end and really it has to be such a mental game.
However, I agree the most inspiring part is watching the amatures or pros who struggled make to the finish line hours after the leaders. It is a very emotional journey that relatively few dare to take.
2004-10-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: #73320

Champion

Watching that guy pull his son who has CP in a boat. He runs it every year with him. I think they didn;t finish this year tho. I guess it was quite windy. He is so inspiring!!!! I think if he can do an IM pulling /pushing his son the whole way maybe I can do it too.

That's Dick Hoyt and his son Ricky.  They live here in New England, and I've done a few running races plus the Timberman 1/2 IM with them in the race.  They truly are inspiring.  Son Ricky is a recent college graduate.  And to top it off, Dick recently had heart by-pass surgery and I believe may be running  with a pacemaker.  If you ever get a chance to meet them, take the opportunity as they are wonderful people!

Edited by max 2004-10-17 9:33 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best part of watching Ironman Rss Feed