Iraq
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = UKN/UKN
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 0130 with a mission at 0330. That wrapped up at 0430 and I had planned to wake up at 0500 to get ready for a 0600 start. So, rather than go to sleep, I just stayed awake until race time.

Drank a bottle of water with Propel powder in it about a half-hour before the race. My partner and I biked the 3/4 of a mile from our hooches to the starting point. We errived on site about 10 mins. prior and my partner needed to use the facilities. By the time he was done, we had just enough time to get to the start area for the pre-brief.

One thing this race director did that I bet no one else does: "What to do in the case of an indirect fire attack. (i.e. incoming mortars.)" If that were to happen, the race would have been cancelled. :)
Event warmup:

No warm-up to speak of, just some rotational "get the blood flowing" exercises and a check of the run course. This was due to lack of time.
Run
  • 22m 7s
  • 2.96 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started good; started strong. Felt like I could have gone faster but I held myself back wanting to be consistent throughout. By mile 2, I could feel my legs getting heavy; lactic acid was starting to accumulate. Looking at my Garmim, I noticed I was "surging," that is, I was running at 7:10 pace and then would fall back to 7:40 and say, "Whoops, gotta pick it up again." I found myself settling into a slower pace and had to convince my body that I could faster. This continued through the end of the race.

The people on the run were great. I get some good motivation by passing those who have gone out too fast. Not a "hey, I'm better than you" motivation but just a reaffirmation that I'm running my race. The last three-quarters of a mile or so, I ran with a woman who I had been passed by and passing all race. She ran on my shoulder and we talked a little bit about the pace, where she was going to finish among women, etc. Toward the end, I picked up the pace and called to her to stay with me. She ended up fifth or sixth overall for the women. I was probably somewhere in the 50-75 range. I only know that because there were T-shirts for the first 50 male and first 50 female finishers and I missed out on a T-shirt.

I had plenty in the tank to fend off a last minute surge by someone 100m from the line, which leads me to believe that I could have and should have run a bit harder. I was more after a LT threshold HR or LT pace for training purposes and so I was thinking and hedging my bets some. I should have taken off a bit faster and harder and just laid it all on the course.

What would you do differently?:

The big thing I would do differently is just race and not analyze everything as I raced. I can do the analysis when I get done.

I would also do some more warm-ups, to include 3-5 min. at race pace just to wake everything up.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and drank water. My stomach was a little topsy-turvy from the Propel pre-race. More because I had guzzled it than anything. Therefore, I drank only water. Found some other people from my company and battalion and talked with them. We took a group photo of folks from our company who finished. Then my partner and I biked 3/4 of a mile back to our hooches for recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm at the beginning of a focused training program for tris and feel like my running plan is right on track, so far. Today reinforced that. Given some more time to adapt, improve, and lose weight, I can see my times dropping significantly.

Event comments:

First time running in a forward area so I don't know what to expect. There wasn't anything more that I could ask for, given the location.

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:07 | 02.96 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/UKN
Performance: Average
First mile: 7:14 (157bpm) Second mile: 7:36 (174 bpm) Third "mile": 7:17/(7:36 pace) (179bpm)
Course: Is there anything but a flat course in Iraq? Mostly sidewalks with some sections on streets. I measured it with my Garmin short of a full 5k
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes