Mt Bethel Church
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 50s
Overall Rank = /800
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6AM, got ready and ate 1/2 PBH waffle. Green Tea on the way to the race and walking around at the start. Talked to some people we knew at the race and lined up for the start.
Event warmup:

None - walking around to get number and chatting is all.
Run
  • 23m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out about 3-4 rows from the front (perfect positioning). My goal pace for the race was about 8:30, but Kirk pointed out we were starting out to fast from the beginning. My RPE felt right though, so I as really shocked when I saw 7:34 at the first mile. I decided my effort level really did feel right though, so we kept around the same pace and kept pushing. The next mile was a little slower, but still ridiculously faster than I have ever run before. On the last mile, Kirk started pointing out people and telling me to catch them, which seemed to work really well. The turn into the parking lot I was SOOO tired, but I could see the finish line so I just kept pushing as much as I could. I wanted to pass out when I crossed the finish line (which was actually in 23:48, but the time is based on when they waved the wand on your number a couple of seconds later), but I just walked around for a few seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!!
Post race
Warm down:

We walked back to before the finish line to cheer Courtney in (who also did awesome, but I'll let her tell you).

After relaxing for a while, we went on a hunt for the results. They were still printing them out, but they guy checked my age group to see if I happened to be in the top 3 (which I figured I wouldn't be, but I had to check). He asked my name and then told me I took third - OH MY GOSH!! I was very excited and probably obnoxious about it, because this was really huge for me.

So, this meant we had to wait around for the awards ceremony, which was a while later. It was so cool to get called up on stage, get my plaque, and get my picture taken. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Are you kidding, nothing!! :)

Event comments:

This was a great 5K, I have never seen so many vendors with freebies at a race before (except maybe a marathon, but it was close). There was just about any kind of food you could ask for, tons of different drinks/smoothies/coffee. Very impressive race organization.

Last updated: 2007-08-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:50 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 0/800
Performance: Good
1 - 7:34 2 - 7:42 3 - 7:44 0.1 - :45 (last 1.1 may be off in time, as the lap was not hit in the right place)
Course: Down Lower Roswell Rd, Left on Woodlawn, Right on Johnson Ferry, Right on Lower Roswell Rd, back to church through parking lot to finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-25 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Habitat for Humidity

2007-08-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: #940088

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Habitat for Humidity

Sweet!!! and Congrats on a great race, Heather!!

Are you sure you wouldn't do anything differently?

Enjoy basking...in the HW!!

2007-08-25 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Yippeee!!!  Great job out there, Heather... congratulations on your PR and you hardware!
2007-08-25 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job there speedy! Congrats on the hardware!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Habitat for Humidity Rss Feed