CRIM
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up late, thankyouTrixie, and scrambled up to Flint on the I-75 Autobahn. Kicked back a candy bar and banana, along with a diet pepsi.
Event warmup:

Ran from the car to packet pickup and back, about .5 mile each way...downhill, then uphill, through the throngs of people. Met Trixie at the car, where we clowned for a bit, then off to the race. Stood around while it started to rain, which was fine by me, because if it's going to be 100% humidity, it might as well cool you off...

Maybe it was me, or maybe not, but it sure as hell seemed like there were MANY more people at this race than in years past. Everyplace I went was like swimming upstream through salmon spawning grounds. Lots of humanity, all in one place.
Run
  • 1h 27m 14s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Clicked off the first 3 in 8:10's, which is just about what I expected. Couldn't get close enough to the front to start with the people running my pace, so I was on sidewalks and through yards most of the time. I'd bet I passed 3000 people in the first 3 miles.

Avoided the Krispy Kremes at Mile 3. Yeah, Kreuser showed his first spark of intelligence in a while!!! Check me out...

Mile 4 I began to feel it. Wait, that was me going to the bathroom. Minus one minute. Seriously, the heat/humidity one-two punch was starting to make its presence felt. Went through the halfway in 8:10's.

However...now I'm starting to leak energy. Oh, wait, that was pee-stop number 2 at mile 6 - minus another minute. Back on topic, 6-10 was a fight to the finish. Legs were dead, heat was abysmal with the humidity. I know this due to the number of DNF's and people bailing, passing out, or otherwise DNF'ing. I saw no less than 5 people keel over or get hauled away in an ambulance.

Anyway, longish story short, while I was running, I was running 8:30's, but I was throwing in some walking, too. After mile 2, I did EVERYTHING I could to stay cool...the average aid stattion was one glass down the hatch, two glasses over my head. Plus running through every sprinkler, grabbing ice where it was offered on the course, etc. I knew the heat was going to be an issue, and I did everything in my power to keep it a non issue. Did pretty well, considerting....

Anyway, ended up running the last half in 9:15's, for a a race-total of 8:40's. I was trained for 8:30's, and minus the two pissstops, that's exactly what I did. No training, no surprises. :)
What would you do differently?:

Train. In fact, run more than 10 miles in any given week at one point or more since May. That'd help, I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Through the chute, got the medal, snipped the chip, grabbed fruit, water, and went to find Trix at the meeting place. Not there. OK, plan B, waited for G8R at the finish...she came in right on schedule, PR!!! Walked back to the car, enjoyed the girls changing, then left.

McLunch ensued. Heh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Err. The practice-before-you-race thing.

Event comments:

Great race, good times, good company, big hills. And this year, big crowds. Sorry we didn't get to catch up with Kellc09 or Fromer; the mass of humanity prolly kept us from meeting up.

***********SOOOOOOOPERRRRTRIXXXXXIEEEEEE!!!!!! *********
Thanks for playing, girlie. :)

Last updated: 2007-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:14 | 10 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
I really didn't care.
Course: Miles 1-4 slight ups and downs, mile 5 turns straight uphill, then rollers, some of 'em big, the rest of the way. Through residential areas with great support from the community; aid stations every mile, and some really below-average roadside bands (if you can call 'em that), but they were fun, and they were trying in the rain, so good on 'em. :) Oooh, and the weather was brutal. G8R will tell you it was cold, but between the moderate temperature, and the 100% humidity, this was the hardest CRIM, climate-wise, that I've ever run. Every year it's either rainy, or blazing hot. No in-between.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %75%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-25 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: CRIM Festival of Races - 10 Mile

2007-08-25 6:32 PM
in reply to: #940157

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: CRIM Festival of Races - 10 Mile
Great race today!!  Thanks for playing!!

Edited by G8RSAX 2007-08-25 6:32 PM
2007-08-25 10:29 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Nice to see you race again!  Even a bad day for you is a good day for me!!!
2007-08-26 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Nice job i couldnt believe how many people were there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CRIM Festival of Races - 10 Mile Rss Feed